Strategy guides

Drubot

Do you use strategy guides?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, do you guys use strategy guides? I can understand if you use them for RPGs, but are they that necessary that you're willing to shell out $15 for them?

Well, the ones that cost money are rivaled in quality sometimes by the ones at GameFAQs. The only one that I thought was the tits was the huge Bradygames one I got for free with Vice City. Had pictures of the cars, which was a great help for the Sunshine Autos asset.

Though I have purchased a few (for Pokemon and both of the N64 Zelda games), I prefer not to use them. However, sometimes I do have to take a peek online when I'm stuck.

Because I was feeling cheap and had already beaten the game, I perused the Mario Sunshine guide at the bookstore to help me find some of those elusive shine sprites.

I usually get them after I think that I'm done with a game. Usually I finish something 100%, but there are times that I actually don't get everything. The only time I've busted out the guide for a game that I hadn't finished was...

Super Mario Sunshine.

That game was a bitch.

Depends on the game and how clueless I am with where I gotta go. Certain games I force myself to go all the way through without a strategy, others I just pansey my way on down to gamefaqs and look up where I gotta go there when it's too difficult.

I'd never buy a strategy guide, though. Spend too much money on video games as it is.

I usually get them after I think that I'm done with a game. Usually I finish something 100%, but there are times that I actually don't get everything.

That's pretty much how I used to be with them: beat the game, then use them for the extras. I'm a completist like that, so I just had to find them, needed or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll use one sometimes, but only after I beat the game once. I like to see how much I can do on my own, and how many of the secrets I find on my own, then after beating the game I'll look to see how much, if anything, that I missed. This is more for strategy and rpgs, as with fighting games, it's not really cheating to look at how to do a fatality or super move rather than experimenting with every possible button press.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, new question but same topic. Which do you prefer the most, the published strategy guides or the internet guides?

Depending on the game, I would usually try to find info online. I mean there are literally hundreds of other players playing the same game as you are, and fortunately some of them are kind enough to explain what you have to do in a certain area and so forth. Plus, the information is easy to access. Also, sometimes the published strategy guides don't include all of the information.

And of course, you have to shill out some dough for those books. It's even worse when you buy the strategy guide, beat the game, and never play the game ever again.

Also, sometimes the published strategy guides don't include all of the information.

Like when SquareOnline came out, and Bradygames Strategy Guides were nothing but 200 glossy paged advertisment for Squareonline. Featuring such boss stategies as, go online and put in this code at SquareOnline to find out this boss' weakness. Or how about if you wanted to know how to get a special weapon, once again the stategy guide would tell you to go to SquareOnline and find out. I feel sorry for anyone that bought that.