What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a lot of 80s action movies that don't hold up. Robocop is definitely one of the few that does and remains socially relevant. Too bad the sequels strayed so far from the mark.

I'll give you one that definitely does not hold up. Action Jackson. I remember it being awesome. I saw it recently and said "why the hell did I ever like this"? One that does hold up? The Last Starfighter. It is just as awesome as I remembered. The effects even look good.

A Bit of Fry & Laurie - Part of the humor is lost on me being American. Another part of the humor is lost on me being three when the show started. Yet another part of the humor is lost on me, due to the nature of this being a sketch show and not everything is going to be funny. With all this lost humor, well, there just isn't enough left. I've been slowly (the past two years) watching this. Overall, I don't know why I kept with it. I cannot say there was anything absolutely hilarious, more of a few (or one) mildly amusing thing in each episode. I'll chalk it up to me being an idiot completest and move on.

A Bit of Fry & Laurie - Part of the humor is lost on me being American. Another part of the humor is lost on me being three when the show started. Yet another part of the humor is lost on me, due to the nature of this being a sketch show and not everything is going to be funny. With all this lost humor, well, there just isn't enough left. I've been slowly (the past two years) watching this. Overall, I don't know why I kept with it. I cannot say there was anything absolutely hilarious, more of a few (or one) mildly amusing thing in each episode. I'll chalk it up to me being an idiot completest and move on.

People coming to this show completely new, without any familiarity with the context of late 80s/early 90s Britain, are going to struggle with this show. I was only about 3-4 when the first series aired, but as an adult, I can appreciate the show a lot. That doesn't mean I guffaw at every joke, but I appreciate the writing/performing. Fry & Laurie are two immensely talented individuals, but I'd argue that a sketch show isn't the right platform for those talents, even if said sketch show was pretty darn good.

Plus the fourth series is balls. The guest format was forced on them as part of the move to BBC1 from BBC2, they were burned out from doing Jeeves and Wooster on itv at the same time and Fry had a breakdown and went to Belgium without telling anyone. Doesn't mean that there aren't individual highlights but it's a castrated version of the show.

I just watched it for the first time. It was ok. Not as good as I hoped, but I liked it. I'm pissed Nintendo wouldn't allow them to use their characters.

They used Bowser, a NES controller and a Mario Mushroom, that's all they really needed for the story.

Yeah, but how can you do a video game movie and not have Mario or Link? I guess it wouldn't make sense because they are from consoles, but then why was Bowser there?

Tangled: I enjoyed it. It's not the best Disney film ever, and you can work everything that's going to happen, but that doesn't stop it being fun. A lot of people see this as a Disney take on a Dreamworks formula, and it really is that, but still good fun.

However some other spoilery things:

I can't be the only person who saw the horse in this, and thought of Donkey from Shrek 2 when he was turned into a white horse.

I was kind of letdown when the witch/stepmother turned evil. I don't know, I was kind of hoping she actually would have grown to love Rapunzel, instead of just seeing her for a means to live forever. It seemed like it was going that way, but then she turned evil, and decided to ruin Rapunzel's life, and then lock her in a dungeon for the next few decades.

And maybe it's just me, but when the witch stabbed Eugene in the side, I was shocked, I know Disney do death in films, and this was going to be undone in about five minutes, but it was still kind of shocking to see someone being pretty much stabbed to death in a Disney film.

And was it just me, or when the song "Mother knows best" plays, you sort of hear the Disney song "When you wish upon a star" that plays at the start of Disney DVD's? It was still a nice song, with a good beat, but just something I picked up on.

House of Cards: The original British version with Ian Richardson. The American one has a lot to live up to. Richardson's Francis Urquhart is now among my favorite villains of all time. Eagerly look forward to seeing its two sequels, To Play the King and The Final Cut.

They are of course, incredible. And Richardson's Urquhart is simply made of awesome.