What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

On 9/23/2022 at 12:01 PM, Dread said:

Six episodes in and She-Hulk introduces conflict. Who is writing this shit?

I believe She-Hulk is described as a "comedy" series.

And that, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem with the MCU. Way, way too much comedy. If the writers don't care, and the characters don't care, why should I care? Is Marvel/Disney capable of writing anything that takes the subject matter seriously?

The worst example I remember is Korg cracking jokes as Asgard was being obliterated by Surtur, something I complained about before. The Asgardian refugees should have erupted in anger,  jumped on Korg and ripped him apart.

Look, I am not saying that everything should be "Grimdark." Comedy has its place, and the MCU wouldn't be what it is without comedy. But cracking jokes while genocide is happening is not the time or the place.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, S-T said:

I believe She-Hulk is described as a "comedy" series.

And that, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem with the MCU. Way, way too much comedy. If the writers don't care, and the characters don't care, why should I care? Is Marvel/Disney capable of writing anything that takes the subject matter seriously?

The worst example I remember is Korg cracking jokes as Asgard was being obliterated by Surtur, something I complained about before. The Asgardian refugees should have erupted in anger,  jumped on Korg and ripped him apart.

Look, I am not saying that everything should be "Grimdark." Comedy has its place, and the MCU wouldn't be what it is without comedy. But cracking jokes while genocide is happening is not the time or the place.

Forreal a franchise low point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't keep up with everything I've watched on TV. Can barely keep up with the movies.

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON is...just fine. Paddy Considine stole the show in the last episode. Pretty great moment.

We binged THE WATCHER on the weekend. It's wild . Based on that weird true story about the family who started getting ominous letter when they moved into a new house. Some comedic actors in serious roles give some leeway to the wild nature of the tone. There's a lot of "come the fuck on!" in this show and the ending sucked balls. But overall it was pretty fun.

House of the Dragon: in true GoT fashion, so much of this season (as many GoT seasons were) was a tease. It left me excited for next season, but much of it rings hollow on its own. It suffers from all of the things that GoT suffered from, but it is without the excellent characters that defined that series.

Titans: I watched season one when it aired four years ago, and now I'm halfway through season 2 (after the past couple days). I really enjoy this show for the most part. It works for me. Part of that is Minka Kelly (how in the fuck is she my age?). It's great to see great actors given villain roles in this show and that they got both Dr. Light AND Deathstroke right in this show is a miracle of adaptation.

12 hours ago, Donomark said:

Chainsaw Man is as fun as it's long been hyped up to be. Very dark and twisted with animation so good it's almost over-animated. Like, shots of Makima's iris' so close up you can look right through them. But the show has got style, man. 

Haven't watched the latest episode yet but I agree, it's wild how casually it goes about the most batshit concepts in either the chillest manner or in high octane action. That's a lot of anime but even moreso with this show.

I've seen 6 of the 8 episodes of Cabinet so far, I really dig the show. I appreciate how each episode has its own vibe, like how the one with Rupert Grint totally feels like 2000s era YA-targeted horror fantasy movie.

The lotion one is my favorite for now, it's got that EC comic/Twilight Zone vibe with the more contemporary but also timeless setting. The directing did a great job getting across the building insanity. It's a shame that the weakest episodes so far have been 

Spoiler

The two Lovecraft episodes, one after another too. I know Del Toro's been trying to get Lovecraft adaptations off the ground, but yeahhh these did not have a lot of momentum to them.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, Davedevil said:

The lotion one is my favorite for now, it's got that EC comic/Twilight Zone vibe with the more contemporary but also timeless setting. The directing did a great job getting across the building insanity. It's a shame that the weakest episodes so far have been 

Reveal hidden contents

The two Lovecraft episodes, one after another too. I know Del Toro's been trying to get Lovecraft adaptations off the ground, but yeahhh these did not have a lot of momentum to them.

That lotion one was great. Very much a TotC or Creepshow vibe, but better than either of those shows. Even though I pretty much called where this was going from jump it didn't affect my enjoyment of it.

Finished Tales of the Territories too. The Stampede episode is fucking excellent. Good show.

• 2 weeks later...

I only thought I finished Tales of the Territories, but I just watched two new episodes. The Polynesian Pro Wrestling episode is really great, akin to Stampede. While the Portland Wrestling episode isn't as good, it has a lot of early Roddy Piper footage.

I signed up for a Starz channel trial to watch some movies for an upcoming episode, but also managd to start and finish Heels. It's Steven Amell's wrestling show and it's pretty frigging good. Although, they basically kill the town every episode which doesn't seem sustainable since they never leave the town.

I'm caught up on Stargirl and waiting for new episodes. Same with Titans which I guess isn't coming out in Canada until it's all done.

On season two of Reservation Dogs which is really beautifully written and well-acted, and makes me laugh out loud at least once an episode. The spirit guide is fucking hilarious. Favourite TV character of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how the two shows I really got into recently are both from the 70s.

Kamen Rider - The original 1971 version. I never really found the recent ones interesting, they just feel like toys smashing into each other, but with my building excitement for Shin Kamen Rider and coming across the original series on Youtube, I figured why not give it a shot. The first 13 episodes with the original Rider were fantastic, a great blend of superhero and horror. It was really trying something cool and comic book-y with the directing (makes sense with the creator being a manga artist, who also created Cyborg 009). When the second Rider comes in, it gets much more kid-oriented. I'm already invested, and I liked the expanded supporting cast, so it was charming to me at least. It reminds me of the evolution of the Godzilla movies, but maybe even better since there's a consistent cast you follow.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - One of my new favorite shows. I like getting a sense of an era through media, so it was nice to see the transition out of the 60s into the 70s. Mary's such an endearing character, and I really loved how the supporting cast developed. Ed Asner was fantastic as Lou Grant, he's probably one of my favorite TV characters now. I'm actually even considering watching his drama spinoff. My enjoyment of the show increased with every season, which I don't find very often.

I was trying to find Young Justice to catch up on it, but I guess it isn't on Netflix anymore. Anyway, I stumbled across the Marvel Anime: X-Men series that is leaving Netflix on December 15, and I'm four episodes in. It isn't bad. It's a little weird. The team is pretty barebones (Cyclops, Beast, Storm and Wolverine) and picks up directly after the death of the Phoenix. The team wears basically the Morrison/Quitely New X-Men outfits. Could definitely use a villain or two injected into the story, but maybe that's where the next 7 episodes are heading. I'll check more out. There's a Wolverine series on Netflix too.

I finished Cabinet of Curiousities and the last two episodes are pretty much the best the series has to offer. Really good stories, very different approaches. Good mix of the kinds of horror. It isn't stuck to a Creepshow vibe (even though it touches on it a few times). Quite varied overall. And while this might be an insensitive nitpick, the only problem I have with the show is Del Toro's introductions. The Netfux sound mixing combined with his accent and nasal quality to his voice makes it nigh-impenetrable.

I also picked season 2 of Doom Patrol back up and it isn't lighting me on fire.

8 hours ago, Davedevil said:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - One of my new favorite shows. I like getting a sense of an era through media, so it was nice to see the transition out of the 60s into the 70s. Mary's such an endearing character, and I really loved how the supporting cast developed. Ed Asner was fantastic as Lou Grant, he's probably one of my favorite TV characters now. I'm actually even considering watching his drama spinoff. My enjoyment of the show increased with every season, which I don't find very often.

I have been throwing on random episode of Mary Tyler Moore the last few months. Everyone is great. I had some doubts that I would remain so engaged when Rhoda and Phyllis both left but then they upped Betty White to regular Status and it all came together for me.

5 hours ago, Dread said:

I was trying to find Young Justice to catch up on it, but I guess it isn't on Netflix anymore.

In the states at least, it moved over to HBO Max. I did a quick search. It looks like it might be available via Teletoon in Canada which you can get as an Amazon Channel. Might be worth checking on.

I missed both of them (Rhoda more than Phyllis because the latter got on my nerves with how callously she treated Mary) but not to the extent I thought I would; I feel like the ensemble got better after, actually. From what I've seen, Season 4 is considered the best because it has every regular cast member, but I found more laughs as it went along. I will say that 5 got a bit too nasty for my tastes, it didn't quite have that balance of earnestness that I love from the show, but the rest were great.

7 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

In the states at least, it moved over to HBO Max. I did a quick search. It looks like it might be available via Teletoon in Canada which you can get as an Amazon Channel. Might be worth checking on.

Cheers! Once this Starz channel  trial is up, I'll go for that next. Haha!

I finished the Marvel Anime: X-Men series, and they did an unfortunate thing with the plot...

Spoiler

They do a mix of Proteus and Legion for the end baddie while making the main villain (Mastermind) secondary. They do some good stuff with Cyclops, Beast and Emma, but overall it suffers from the same bathos that most anime does for me.

There are a couple made for the series henchman villains that were pretty cool though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fleischman Is In Trouble this is a good series on Disney + in Canada. Jesse Eisenberg is great. Lizzy Caplan is greater. Claire Danes is amazing at depicting actual mental illness as seen from the POV of people in her life between this and Homeland (though her freakouts in that show tend to be more private). Not an easy watch.

• 2 weeks later...