What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Season 2 was so good. Really hoping we get a Final 3rd Season in a couple of years.

The Venture Brothers finale film was such a good ending for the series while completely leaving the door open for if they ever do anything else. The way that the series stayed consistently good from the first episode until the very end needs to be studied!

21 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

The Venture Brothers finale film was such a good ending for the series while completely leaving the door open for if they ever do anything else. The way that the series stayed consistently good from the first episode until the very end needs to be studied!

Currently debating a rewatch before watching the movie. I've watched season one relatively recently, so I think I'll do that.

Season two of The Bear is even better than season one. I still have two episodes left, but it's already locked down the best TV of the year, so far. Easily. Something supremely great will have to come out if it's going to get knocked out of the top spot. Brilliant show.

I'm laughing so fucking much at The Eric Andre Show that Stacy thinks I'm pretending. I am not.

Checked out My Adventures with Superman and no. Not for me. Didn't make it through the first episode.

First couple episodes of The Changeling done and it's another favourite of mine so far. Lakeith Stanfield is a standout in basically everything I've seen him in. He's perfect to lead this series. I was critical of how the book would translate to TV, but clearly that is being done with very careful attention.

First couple episodes of The Mosquito Coast down, and it's based on the same novel the Harrison Ford movie is based on. It's written by Paul Theroux, Louis Theroux's dad, and Justin Theroux's uncle. Justin happens to be the star of the show. It's solid, but they are keeping the reason for being on the run a mystery, and that is really hard to apply stakes to.

Netflix's Wrestlers is really good. Very even-handed view of the industry with the focus on modern OVW (run by Al Snow!). It's quite good. Two episodes left to do.

I couldn't really work on my podcast as I wanted to be upstairs to care for my fiance who had surgery yesterday, so I re-began my rewatch of Venture Bros. in advance of watching the movie finale. I started on season 2, which I have discovered that I already covered when i started this rewatch last year. But it's fine, because season 2 fucking rules.

15 hours ago, Dread said:

I couldn't really work on my podcast as I wanted to be upstairs to care for my fiance who had surgery yesterday, so I re-began my rewatch of Venture Bros. in advance of watching the movie finale. I started on season 2, which I have discovered that I already covered when i started this rewatch last year. But it's fine, because season 2 fucking rules.

Season 2 might be my favorite as well. It's a funnier, better animated version of Season 1, which I will forever like. When I did my rewatch a few years back, I had a hard time picking between seasons 2 and 4 as my favorite.

18 hours ago, Donomark said:

What do you feel is the best season out of the series now?

Probably four. I love the punch of 4, 5, 6, but without 4, they aren't as good obviously. The show is most itself the last two episodes of season 1 and all of 2, though. 4 is what it grew into.

1 hour ago, Dread said:

Probably four. I love the punch of 4, 5, 6, but without 4, they aren't as good obviously. The show is most itself the last two episodes of season 1 and all of 2, though. 4 is what it grew into.

Well said. I really enjoyed the status quo of season 2 but season 4 made the big moments worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, Donomark said:

Well said. I really enjoyed the status quo of season 2 but season 4 made the big moments worthwhile.

100%. It's actually impressive how much changed over the span of the show. Even though it lasted many more years than its 7 seasons, there was a shitload of change and character development over that period that one doesn't often find in animated series. 

Just watched all six episodes of MONSTER FACTORY on Apple TV and I think I enjoyed it a lot more than Wrestlers. The character work is better. It feels realer. There isn't the spectre of "the business is going under unless we can..." in this and it works for the better. We have more character time. And their stories are compelling. This is the wrestling docuseries of the year, methinks. 

I've been on a Columbo binge, and at least twice now I've noticed Peter Falk looking and acting rough. In one of the episodes I don't think it's mentioned at all, but in the other one ("A Stitch in Crime," the Leonard Nimoy episode) he's clearly hungover. So much so, they had to write around it by claiming Mrs. Columbo (not that one) was up sick all night so he couldn't sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

The Fall of the House of Usher might be Mike Flanagan's TV masterpiece. Brilliant.

Watched the first episode of 30 Coins season 2. Nothing can compare to the premiere of season one, but a continuation of this story is all I really want. Good way to establish the status quo. Also...some of the characters are in Hell, and that's wild.

Yesterday and today, I put away all five episodes of an independent reality show on youtube called Musician Mansion. Gimmicky guitar YouTuber Jared Dines stepped away to do actual music production and in his wake, a bunch of other younger music youtubers took his place and they have been invited to a challenge show at a mansion.A lot of fun. Watched a bunch of the other contestants videos shot at the week away thing. Fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For the first show completion of 2024, I capped off the last two episodes of the Netflix anime Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, which I started at the end of 2023. I feel at this point in internet discourse, you either like the Scott Pilgrim franchise, story and characters or you don't. By now the particular nerd aesthetic it creates that once felt almost revolutionary in a "Clerks" kind of way now has become very dated. The art style and music are always fun, but it can't be the lightning in a bottle arbiter of pre-Millennial culture that probably peaked with the live action film. So its merits have to fall down to the story and world, which itself are dicey considering the iffy ways the original comic depicted Scott, Ramona, Knives etc.

This is something that Bryan Lee O'Malley was more than aware of (reportedly he didn't even want to do Scott Pilgrim again and was approached to do this), and takes this show's opportunity to retell the story at a different angle. With the added element of all the live-action actors voicing the characters, the show starts off retelling the same story up until the fight with the first Evil Ex Matthew Patel. From then on, Scott is taken out of the series entirely and the story follows Ramona confronting her exes one by one, giving everyone much more exploration than initially shown. It's a fun, neat way to tell the story with new eyes and manages to make the Scott Pilgrim franchise about the cast of characters and not simply about him and Ramona. All the voice acting is great, and Michael Cera gives a way better performance as Scott than he did in the movie. His voice matches the illustrated design perfectly.

Started a watch-through of Star Trek: Voyager the other day, and now I'm a few episodes from the end of season one. I have never watched it before. I probably saw 6-8 episodes while smoking pot at my buddy's place and couldn't stand it. Thought every character was stupid and really felt like the whole thing was a platform to have Jeri Ryan in THAT outfit.

Having watched the first 11 episodes in two or three days, I have to say: as far as characterization is concerned, this is the best Trek for that other than TOS. I don't include new Trek in this because it isn't fair to do so. I think Janeway is working out her character throughout this season. Is she the stern matron or is she dancing on the fragile edge of breaking down, or is she the one who takes delight in her crew socializing? I'm not convinced it's supposed to be all three because the show doesn't balance it well. Regardless, Kate Mulgrew fucking rules. I love the characters of Tom Paris, Harry Kim, Tuvok and especially The Doctor. Other than Janeway (who only needs a little clarifying), the female characters need a shitload of development. I don't even know who B'elanna is even though she's been front and centre the whole time. Kes is very much a non-character at this point. I like her interactions with Neelix and the Doctor, but that seems to be all she is at this point. I really hope this changes. 

While I won't talk about placement in a favourites list yet, I'll say it's off to a better start than TNG and DS9 were. Though I doubt it will hit their heights, if it can maintain quality through its run to some extent, it just might be a pretty high placement on that list. 

6 hours ago, Dread said:

Thought every character was stupid and really felt like the whole thing was a platform to have Jeri Ryan in THAT outfit.

Her catsuit was stupid, I'll grant you that. Served no story line purpose and IIRC she complained that it was too tight and made it hard to breathe.

But in fairness, she didn't actually show up until the premier of Season 4.

8 hours ago, S-T said:

Her catsuit was stupid, I'll grant you that. Served no story line purpose and IIRC she complained that it was too tight and made it hard to breathe.

But in fairness, she didn't actually show up until the premier of Season 4.

Again, I'd only seen a handful of episodes