What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Three episodes into Enterprise, and it's a pretty decent show. Archer doesn't really register with me, Bakula always has that furrowed brow expression and some really odd delivery at times. T'Pol is a much more engaging lead but so far a lot of her good material is reactive. I do appreciate how much she gets to take charge though.

The bickering and anxieties in this show are something else compared to the other Trek I've watched (first season and a couple episodes of TOS, four seasons of TNG). It's hard to take in the first two episodes (counting the pilot as one thing), but I can see where it's coming from. I'm hoping this show is solid enough, even if I have some hesitation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/17/2020 at 7:53 AM, James D. said:

Watching Norsemen right now. Really enjoying it--hilarious dialogue and a shout-out to the great costuming.

That rape joke in season 2 (I believe?) is top ten hardest I've laughed in my life.

"My wife would be very uncomfortable with the amount of raping I'm doing versus pillaging." Something to that effect.

Just watched the first two episodes of the 1994 Fantastic Four animated series. I got it and the X-Men discs in the mail today. They're corny AF but still kind of fun. That theme song though...yikes.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:31 PM, Dread said:

That rape joke in season 2 (I believe?) is top ten hardest I've laughed in my life.

"My wife would be very uncomfortable with the amount of raping I'm doing versus pillaging." Something to that effect.

Yeah, that one is fantastic. Another one I loved was, "The sea giveth and the sea taketh away...and this time, the sea......tooketh......my sword...."

1 hour ago, James D. said:

Yeah, that one is fantastic. Another one I loved was, "The sea giveth and the sea taketh away...and this time, the sea......tooketh......my sword...."

Haha!

On 8/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Molly said:

The second season of that show is miles better. 

It definitely gets better animation and story-wise halfway through season one (with the introduction of Doom).

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing Swamp Thing.  I watched the first eight episodes awhile ago and then not entirely sure why I didn't finish.  What I will say is that I remembered pretty much everything after a months long gap.  That doesn't happen often for me. 

I enjoyed the show.  Probably the 'best' live-action show that DC Universe put out, but I enjoyed Doom Patrol more.  Just personal preference.  I can only think of two negatives.  The first being some bad CG.  Swamp Thing himself looks great, but thinks like blood are PS2 levels bad.  The other negative is the entire Ian Ziering plot feeling incredibly backdoor pilot.

But an important positive for me was how they handled the behind the scenes.  Cutting down from 13 to 10 cannot be easy.  And it was way less cliffhanger-y that I had expected.

Really digging Kobra Kai, seven episodes in.

The lifetime ban on Kobra Kai in the eponymous TV show makes no sense. This isn't the same business, and is not run by the same people. It's almost certainly a brand new corporate entity with a brand new EIN filed with the IRS and new incorporation paperwork filed with the state.

(Which does raise questions how Johnny doesn't get into a trademark dispute over the name, but that's another nitpick for another time.)

By this standard, if some random person named Bubba who was born in 1990 started a dojo and named it Kobra Kai, his school would be banned from the tournament. I'm not sure that would even be legal.

And Daniel really needs to get over Johnny being a bully in 1984. I was bullied too. I was a nerd. But come on man, it's been 35 years. Move on.

The dojo being banned makes sense if The Karate Kid Part III is considered to be part of continuity. In that movie, the owner of the Cobra Kai franchise was legit trying to murder Daniel, and his students threatened to rape his female friend. If news of that reached the governing body, a perma-ban makes sense.

The grudge against Johnny, however, not so much. At the end of the first movie, Johnny seemingly makes up with Daniel. So Daniel needs to get over himself.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

The dojo being banned makes sense if The Karate Kid Part III is considered to be part of continuity.

Yes, but only if Johnny’s dojo is a continuation of the previous dojo, instead of a new business. If the latter, they’re punishing a separate entity because it shares the name as a previous entity. (Trademark infringement issues aside.)

Hence my example of how that standard could be applied to the hypothetical Bubba’s dojo. Bubba wasn’t even born when the events of Karate Kid 1 and 3 went down.

• 4 months later...

I finished the entire third season of Cobra Kai.

General thoughts: There’s a level of violence that is expected in a show about karate fights, and then there’s the point where the cops show up and everyone goes to jail. This season went well beyond that. It's almost like there are no police!

Now on to spoilers.

Spoiler

Everyone should have gone to jail well before the big season finale, including Miyagi Do students for a 5-on-4 assault of Cobra Kai students that goes badly when more Cobra Kai students show up. That's not a karate rivalry. That's a gang assault and a crime. You go to jail for that. Daniel is way too tolerant of his daughter planning and executing a beatdown of Cobra Kai students, which betrays the philosophy he has been teaching and is a crime. Also, I don't care if Miyago Do started it or not, someone goes to jail for breaking Dimitri's arm.

In the final scene, Kreese suggests Cobra Kai settle differences with Miyagi Do and Eagle Fang in a tournament. Daniel and Johnny agree.

No. There is no way that any rational, normal person would ever agree to that. Cobra Kai students just committed a home invasion and gang assault, also causing thousands of dollars in damage to Daniel's house. You do not settle something like that by agreeing to a tournament fight with rules. That is when you call the cops and have Kreese taken to prison where he will spend the rest of his life. His older students are charged as adults and go to prison too. On top of that, you buy a gun (or many guns) and the next person who shows up at your house gets pumped full of bullets.

We went from a somewhat believable level of violence to open gang warfare along the lines of the Bloods and Crips.

Furthermore, Miguel apparently has Wolverine's healing factor to the point I was guffawing. Not only is he walking around four months after a horrific back injury, but he can suddenly throw kicks he was unable to throw a couple months earlier. OK, fine, I can suspend disbelief to a point, though his rapid recovery stretches it.

Where it gets totally ridiculous is when Miguel is taking multiple serious hits to his surgically repaired back - slammed into walls and through tables, and then repeatedly punched in the back by Kyler. No. You can't do that. In the real world, he is crippled and maybe dead.

This show has become stupid. Entertaining, but stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show.  I highly recommend it. But Season 3 is nowhere near as good as the first two seasons.

I do not understand the plot of the second season of The Punisher on Netflix or the motivations of the criminal organization pursuing Rachel.

Hide contents

They murder dozens of people, including a militia-style attack on a police station,  to cover up the fact that a crime boss's son is homosexual. Really?

It would make sense if this was set in the 1950s when cultural attitudes were different, but in 2019? Really?

Four years after the Obergefell decision? At a time when every single major corporation in America celebrates Pride Month? Really?

Well, I get it, but the whole premise makes no sense if this is set in anything resembling the real world.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, S-T said:

I finished the entire third season of Cobra Kai.

General thoughts: There’s a level of violence that is expected in a show about karate fights, and then there’s the point where the cops show up and everyone goes to jail. This season went well beyond that. It's almost like there are no police!

Now on to spoilers.

Hide contents

Everyone should have gone to jail well before the big season finale, including Miyagi Do students for a 5-on-4 assault of Cobra Kai students that goes badly when more Cobra Kai students show up. That's not a karate rivalry. That's a gang assault and a crime. You go to jail for that. Daniel is way too tolerant of his daughter planning and executing a beatdown of Cobra Kai students, which betrays the philosophy he has been teaching and is a crime. Also, I don't care if Miyago Do started it or not, someone goes to jail for breaking Dimitri's arm.

In the final scene, Kreese suggests Cobra Kai settle differences with Miyagi Do and Eagle Fang in a tournament. Daniel and Johnny agree.

No. There is no way that any rational, normal person would ever agree to that. Cobra Kai students just committed a home invasion and gang assault, also causing thousands of dollars in damage to Daniel's house. You do not settle something like that by agreeing to a tournament fight with rules. That is when you call the cops and have Kreese taken to prison where he will spend the rest of his life. His older students are charged as adults and go to prison too. On top of that, you buy a gun (or many guns) and the next person who shows up at your house gets pumped full of bullets.

We went from a somewhat believable level of violence to open gang warfare along the lines of the Bloods and Crips.

Furthermore, Miguel apparently has Wolverine's healing factor to the point I was guffawing. Not only is he walking around four months after a horrific back injury, but he can suddenly throw kicks he was unable to throw a couple months earlier. OK, fine, I can suspend disbelief to a point, though his rapid recovery stretches it.

Where it gets totally ridiculous is when Miguel is taking multiple serious hits to his surgically repaired back - slammed into walls and through tables, and then repeatedly punched in the back by Kyler. No. You can't do that. In the real world, he is crippled and maybe dead.

This show has become stupid. Entertaining, but stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show.  I highly recommend it. But Season 3 is nowhere near as good as the first two seasons.

Counterpoint: The show has always been stupid. Entertaining, but stupid.

The one aspect of the first season that I recall being ho-hum about was Johnny's kid. Not necessarily him as a concept; Daniel unknowingly training Johnny's son in the ways of Miyagi-Do opens a ton of story potential. However, the actor -- and I don't blame the guy, he's young -- is cut from the Power Rangers school of acting. At least in the first season. I can't say beyond that.

Oldest son and I watched the episode of “X-Men: Evolution” where the kids steal the X-Jet.

So, this thing has no security protocol at all? Ok even if you don’t install retinal scanners or something, you cannot lock up a set of keys in a secure location? You can’t lock the door?

My car has more security than this fighter jet!

I’m not nitpicking! This is a major plot hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the revivals of Animaniacs & Save by the Bell.  Thoughts are generally similar.  I would not have watched either if not for the name.  I am not the target demo for either of these shows outside of the nostalgia of the name.

I think Animaniacs suffered from trying too hard.  The meta-ness was cranked to 11 and became too much.  I didn't like any of the Pinky & The Brain bits.  The exclusion of the other characters also hurt.  Even some "Good Idea, Bad Idea" type things would have mixed things up.

Saved by the Bell on the other hand just went stupid.  Mainly it was the returning classic characters are played so over the top dumb that bothered me.  The kids are over the top as well, but at a level that felt more in-line with the original series.  And it must be said, Josie Totah is the best thing about this show.

I've been watching old episodes of both the original Nickelodeon Doug series and the Disney's Doug seasons (as though there are new episodes of the franchise...). Some of the really older episodes from the Nick era are slow and staid, but once the show finds its feet with more energy, it really holds up. I never noticed as a kid how every episode included some moral, and it never comes off terribly preachy. Pretty subtle if you ask me. Doug also admits his crush to Patti twice, but nothing comes of it, as though she didn't hear him. Kind of odd...

The Disney seasons gets a bad rap online, but I've always liked them. I like franchises that age up the characters, and I didn't ever think the show was all that different. That being said, those episodes do lean into comedy far more than straightforward storytelling. The music is also way less interesting, and the animation is lamer. But it has its pluses, and I like how, even though the characters still aren't teenagers yet, they go through problems afflicting older tweens so it's a more sophisticated feel. I mean, Nick's Doug is better, but Disney's Doug is still recognizably the same universe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...