Random wrestling thoughts

Saw a great Noah show tonight, really awesome. KENTA & Bobby Fish vs Go Shiozaki and Taniguchi was probably the highlight of the night. Kings of Wrestling vs Morishima and Aoki was a close second. The GHC title match with Suguira vs Dave Mastiff was pretty blah until mastiff (who is a 5'8" blubblery tank of a man) hit an arabian press out of nowhere and the crowd came unglued.

Good night, and a good way to introduce one total noob to pro wrestling as a whole. Maybe. I might have to train him further so he understands it more.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Young Bucks vs The American Wolves

This was tremendous. Probably one of my favourite matches of the year. Bucks eventually won via underhandedness. Definitely worth seeking out.

Steen and Tozawa vs Kings of Wrestling

Tozawa was an awesome little babyface here, and probably the most popular guy in the building all night. They had a tough one to follow, but pulled it off. Steen and Tozawa won again, which I didn't expect.

Joey Ryan then came out for an interview. I hate Joey Ryan. If he wasn't one of the owners, he'd never get booked. He's one of PWG's few missteps.

They then did a gauntlet match to let the teams rest.

Ryan Taylor vs Brian Cage - Both guys are solid enough, but nothing to write home about. Taylor won with a move.

Ryan Taylor vs Peter Avalon - See previous comments. Avalon won with a schoolboy.

Peter Avalon vs Candice LaRae - Yeah, LaRae is treated like a guy on the main roster. No, she is not Cheerleader Melissa or Awesome Kong. She's about the size of Kelly Kelly and just as intimidating. She would be PWG's other big misstep. Ryan immediately interfered with a superkick and LaRae got the pin.

Joey Ryan vs Candice LaRae - This match seriously happened. They fought for like, ten minutes. Imagine Eve Torres having a back and forth match with Jack Swagger. PWG is probably my favourite indy out there, but this was bullshit on a stick. Ryan won, obviously.

Young Bucks vs Tozawa and Steen

This started with a giant brawl, which was a good contrast to everything else that happened before. It's funny seeing Steen as such a giant babyface considering what a heel he was in ROH. Tozawa was taken out early and taken to the back, turning it into a handicap match. Steen got busted open and then this became awesome. The people were begging for Tozawa to finally come back and went crazy when he did. The Bucks eventually won clean after trying everything. This may actually be better than the Wolves match.

All in all, a great show. Good wrestling is still out there.

:cry:

First wrestling death to effect me in a while.

Not only was he my favourite wrestler of all time, but he'd gotten out of the business and seemed genuinely happy.

The kid in me would love to think there's a heaven and he's back with Elizabeth on his shoulder, but the adult in me knows it's probably not possible.

They have to do some sort of tribute on Smackdown tonight. They have to.

The kid in me would love to think there's a heaven and he's back with Elizabeth on his shoulder, but the adult in me knows it's probably not possible.

They have to do some sort of tribute on Smackdown tonight. They have to.

Smackdown is all already in the can and it's been aired in some places, they probably won't be able to do more than an opening still image. I expect more on Raw.

Randy was one of the all time greats, blessed with incredible in-ring talent and outrageous personality to match. Very few men have had both in such prodigious amounts, in fact I could count them on one hand. This is a tragedy, he died far too young.

I really hope WWE allows us to celebrate the man in proper fashion, regardless of previous issues.

No idea, but that is amazing athleticism, hope he brings that to some matches...

On the Macho Man front, damn, just damn. I could watch his highlight reels for hours... Someone on the Oratory did a 4 part piece on him a few years back, wish I could find it, was a fantastic read.

Someone wrote into the Observer with these stats.

After hearing the news of Savage's death, I happened to look at the line-up for Wrestlemania 7 in 1991. Not counting the deaths of Gorilla Monsoon (62, natural causes) and Lord Alfred Hayes (76), I counted 14 onscreen performers who died prematurely - Kerry Von Erich, Dino Bravo, Davey Boy Smith, Crush, Savage, Sensational Sherri, Elizabeth, Big Boss Man, Mr Perfect, Andre the Giant, Earthquake, Hawk, Hercules and Joey Marella. And that's from a total list of wrestlers, managers, referees and commentators etc. of just 51.

I thought I'd do a quick and largely unscientific comparison of how that stacked up to deaths of a similar sized sample from three sports and entertainment fields that all, for various reasons, are sometimes compared to pro wrestling in discussing premature deaths. These were the NFL (physical punishment, concussions and steroid use), music (drugs, alchohol and the road owning people) and boxing (concussions, steroid use, crazy lifestyle). The results aren't entirely surprising but the difference between them and Wrestlemania 7's roll call of dead people is pretty stark.

Of the 44 men who started on both offense and defense in Superbowl XXV (the Buffalo Bills vs. New York Giants game which took place in January '91) every single one of them is still alive.

For music I looked at the bands who played at the 1991 Monsters of Rock festival, which used to be held annually, here in England, and attracted the biggest names in hard rock and heavy metal, and crowds of up to and around 100,000 people. From the bands who played in '91, there were 23 musicians. Every single one of them is still alive. As that was a much smaller sample than for either Wrestlemania or Superbowl XXV, I looked at the follwoing year's festival. Again, no deaths at all, from a further 27 musicians.

For boxing, I looked at every individual who held a major (WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO) world title during 1991 from heavyweight, down to lightweight. I didn't go any further down the weightclasses simply because by that time, I'd got my target sample of around 50. Actually, 46 of them. This time, there were two deaths. Magne Havna, a Norwegian who held the WBO cruiserweight title died aged 40 in a 2004 boat accident. Edwin Rosario, a four time champion who held the WBA light welterweigfht title during '91, died, quite likely as a result of his drug addiction, in 1997 at the age of 34. In addition, Gerald McClellan, who held a portion oif the middleweight title almost died and was left permantly disabled as a result of brain injuries he sustained in a 1995 fight with Nigel Benn.

So, based on this sample - 14 of 51 wrestlers/performers active in 1991 are dead. 0 of 44 high level professional football players are dead. 0 of 50 musicians active in 1991 and '92 are dead. And 2 of 46 world champion boxers from that year are dead.

There exists the very real possibility that in my lifetime, there will be a big wrestling show from the 80s or 90s wherein every single wrestler in it is dead.

I'm watching AAA, but since I don't speak Spanish I'm completely lost. There is La Parka and another fatter guy wearing the same costume but a different color. They even came out to the same song, which is odd. I don't understand the rules, but people are flying everywhere. It's pretty amazing.

For horrible stats I always look to the 10 man Calgary Stampede main event. That event was held in '97. Of the ten, Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, British Bulldog and Hawk are dead. On top of that severe neck and head injuries forced Bret and Austin to retire prematurely. Goldust was the last man of them wrestling regularly, and he's now stepping away.