Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan, who has long been open about his love for professional wrestling, will be launching his own independent wrestling promotion this Fall.

Corgan, who is being billed as the creative director for the new group, titled Resistance Pro, will be making an official announcement at Wizard World Chicago the weekend of 8/13 regarding plans for the promotion, which will be Mid-West based and feature at least some independent performers from that area.

Corgan has dabbled in wrestling since his feud with Lou E. Dangerously in the late 1990s in Extreme Championship Wrestling as well as appearances at many other wrestling events.

On the subject of the Smashing Pumpkins Wrestling League or whatever the planned name, ehh, something has to replace TNA when it disappears from the face of the earth.

As for Raw tonight, I honestly hope they keep up the work they've done the last few weeks. I dunno, I keep expecting the ball to be dropped.

On the subject of the Smashing Pumpkins Wrestling League or whatever the planned name, ehh, something has to replace TNA when it disappears from the face of the earth.

Ring of Honor got there first.

Ring of Honor is about to lose two (possibly three) of its big names. There was a lot of hype for their big sale but literally nothing has happened since.

And TNA will never ever die as long as Spike continues to support it.

Ring of Honor got there first.

Ring of Honor is about to lose two (possibly three) of its big names. There was a lot of hype for their big sale but literally nothing has happened since.

How many big stars has ROH lost over the years? CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Low Ki, Bryan Danielson, Evan Bourne, and probably a good few more who've went to WWE or TNA, and they've still gotten on fine.

TNA will be done if they lose the Spike TV deal, ROH have gone through the Feinstein thing, and the HDNet deal and are still alive and kicking.

Dude, if it wasn't for the Sinclair deal, ROH WAS dead. Losing all of those guys hurt them immensely.

No one bought the PPVS and DVD business was in the toilet. They're in the same boat as TNA right now, in terms of being at the mercy of their TV.

Dude, if it wasn't for the Sinclair deal, ROH WAS dead. Losing all of those guys hurt them immensely.

No one bought the PPVS and DVD business was in the toilet. They're in the same boat as TNA right now, in terms of being at the mercy of their TV.

I was meaning on the stars front, ROH has a better star making/finding ability that TNA likely ever will, because they try and find people who will make them money, not people who've made money for other people in the past.

But you're right, without a TV deal, ROH would be sort of done right now.

The sad thing is she probably thinks it helps her gimmick, since a majority of her matches are built around the visual of her giving German Suplexes to much bigger people.

I missed most of RAW this week. I just finished listing to a review of RAW. And I must say, some people need to get over themselves.

Apparently, Triple H saying CM Punk and John Cena were arguing like little girls ruined RAW, ruined CM Punk, ruined John Cena, ruined SummerSlam, ruined the credibility of the WWE Championship, and ruined the WWE as a whole.

And to think, I didn't pay attention to the line.

Took me a few months to slowly get through it, but I just finished the 3 disc Undertaker set. And, to me at least, it was surprisingly entertaining. Sure, a lot of crap is on the early discs (vs. Yokozuna in a casket match). And there was too much repetition (3 Foley matches, 3 Kane matches, 3 Hell in a Cells).

Yet, it is an interesting look at the evolution of not only the Undertaker character, but the WWF/WWE as a whole. Some simple things just make the atmosphere better. The announcers table going from a regular table to the current style announcers table makes things look more professional. As does the addition of the black barricade over the steel, see-thru one. Not everything is better, as I like the visual of having all the photo journalists around the ring. It makes the entire thing feel like a legitimate sporting event. Also, the crowd using lighters for Takers entrance in 98-99 looks so much better than the cell phones people use today.

As for Taker himself? It made me remember how much I liked the American Bad Ass biker gimmick. That is how I was first introduced to the Undertaker, so I guess that is 'my Taker'. Granted, when he came back as the character he was out of shape. But you can see him get into shape and put on better matches as time passes. Also, his Wrestlemania return as the Deadman seems half-assed.

All in all, not a bad collection, but as this one ends at Mania XX, I feel it leave off a lot of Takers best matches. If the WWE puts out a better set in the future, I could see myself buying it. I would love a documentary, but I don't see that happening.