Random wrestling thoughts

Edit: Just looked at the quarter hour break downs. Main event was the lowest watched portion of the show. That is not a good thing. Also, Knockouts = ratings for some reason.

The following are the quarter-hour ratings for this past Thursday's (October 20, 2011) TNA Impact Wrestling television broadcast.

Q1: 1.38 rating - Sting promo. Sting calls out Hulk Hogan. Dixie Carter walks to the ring. Commercial.

Q2: 1.38 rating - Sting and Dixie Carter in-ring segment. Kurt Angle and Beer Money segment.

Q3: 1.32 rating - Sting books the main event of the evening. James Storm takes the title shot when Bobby Roode contractually could not. Eric Bischoff and Immortal confront Hogan backstage. Two commercials.

Q4: 1.42 rating - Brooke Tessmacher and Tara vs. Angelina Love and Winter. Jeff and Karen Jarrett call out Jeff Hardy.

Q5: 1.38 rating - Jarrett and Hardy pull-apart. Angle backstage promo. Hogan and Sting video package. Eric Young reveals to Robbie E. and Rob Terry that he's bringing in someone from "Jersey Shore." Gunner calls out Abyss.

Q6: 1.30 rating - Abyss vs. Gunner. Velvet Sky backstage. Gunner backstage. Sky video package. Sky, Karen Jarrett and Traci Brooks in-ring segment.

Q7: 1.34 rating - Knockouts segment continues. Immortal and Hogan segment with Sting and Garrett Bischoff.

Q8: 1.29 rating - Beer Money backstage. Storm beats Angle for the TNA World Championship.

Source

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Knockouts sections are always the highest rated, have been for years. That's why TNA pays them so little and they have to get other jobs to support themselves. Wait a minute...

Just got back from a Dragon Gate UK double bill. First night was great, totally on par with the standards of that promotion. The second night might have been the greatest wrestling show OF ALL TIME. After the opening UK only dark match (***) everything was between 4 and 5 stars. 6 phenomenal matches overall, and frankly I think I can quite wrestling now because nothing can ever top this night.

It was really not a fun show. I'd say that it was pretty poor. Mainly, the crowd was horrible. Absolutely horrible. It killed the show for me as nothing beyond the ring spot really got a reaction.

I tend to judge PPVs on my reaction right after it has ended. When this ended, my first thought was 'well, I just wasted three hours'.

Yeah, the main event (Del Rio vs Cena) was completely dead. Same with Big Show vs Mark Henry until the ring broke. The matches that the crowd really seemed to get into were Swagger vs Zach Ryder and HHH & CM Punk vs The Miz & R-Truth.

The show ended for me, when Cody lost. :cry:

It was good up until the world title matches. I was actually starting to cheer for Cena at the end of the main event. That's how dull their match was, I just wanted to see him somehow overcome the odds.

Impact Taping Spoilers

Bobby Roode wins the TNA World Heavyweight Championship after turning heel with a beer bottle shot to James Storm.

I just don't get it.

I think it's pretty obvious:

TNA hates making money from PPV's. So why leave this to the next PPV, when they can make Storm and Roode, look like idiots, and cause the few thousand people who bought BFG to say "If that's how they treat people who pay money, I'm never doing that again."

That, or it's a swerve. It's TNA, their motto is: Impact Wrestling....if at first you don't succeed you didn't do enough swerves.

Impact Taping Spoilers

Bobby Roode wins the TNA World Heavyweight Championship after turning heel with a beer bottle shot to James Storm.

I just don't get it.

I think it's pretty obvious:

TNA hates making money from PPV's. So why leave this to the next PPV, when they can make Storm and Roode, look like idiots, and cause the few thousand people who bought BFG to say "If that's how they treat people who pay money, I'm never doing that again."

That, or it's a swerve. It's TNA, their motto is: Impact Wrestling....if at first you don't succeed you didn't do enough swerves.

It's not that.

TNA is not a PPV company. They care about their TV product more, and I don't really have a problem with that. With TNA, the more people watching, the better. And 30,000 PPV buys is nowhere near their TV audience. At this point in time, Impact needs to improve before you can really sell PPVs.

For me, it is more of a short-sided way of thinking. If you have Roode win the at Bound for Glory, you can set up a lot of things. Roode has a nice title run, while at the same time you are building up James Storm. You have a face/face build, with Storm being a subtle heel. Then at whatever PPV you can turn one heel (doesn't really matter which). Then you have a program going forward with a clear face/heel.

Something that could have taken place over 5-7 months, took 2-3 weeks. While not a strictly TNA problem, it annoys so much when you had a chance for a great moment and you failed.

It's not that.

TNA is not a PPV company. They care about their TV product more, and I don't really have a problem with that. With TNA, the more people watching, the better. And 30,000 PPV buys is nowhere near their TV audience. At this point in time, Impact needs to improve before you can really sell PPVs.

For me, it is more of a short-sided way of thinking. If you have Roode win the at Bound for Glory, you can set up a lot of things. Roode has a nice title run, while at the same time you are building up James Storm. You have a face/face build, with Storm being a subtle heel. Then at whatever PPV you can turn one heel (doesn't really matter which). Then you have a program going forward with a clear face/heel.

Something that could have taken place over 5-7 months, took 2-3 weeks. While not a strictly TNA problem, it annoys so much when you had a chance for a great moment and you failed.

In that context:

TNA probably feels that world title switches mean a bigger ratings spike.Which they do, when not done week after week, yes a slow build to a feud between the two would have been great, but the problem is, TNA wants results now, they don't want to wait 4-5 months for the ratings to improve. That has always been TNA's problem, they don't go into long term planning.

They sometimes have ideas that go into long term planning, such as Bischoff's son, but then they drop them, only to pick up the thread when nobody cares anymore.

Oh, and Russo is supposedly of the belief that heels and faces don't work in wrestling anymore, and that nothing is black and white, it's shades of grey. The flaw with this logic is, you have people being heroes for no apparent reason, and people like Kurt Angle being villains, again for no apparent reason, and then switching it up at random points. It doesn't make much sense to the channel hopping consumers that TNA wants to market itself to. That, and they have for years screwed over the knockouts division, which have, for years, giving TNA their highest consistent ratings.

So, the Bret VS Shawn documentary is pretty good. The only problem I have with it is they cover the same old information about the Survivor Series screwjob that if you've seen an previous documentaries on it, or read either of their books, is old news.

It does bring to light some very interesting information, like the on and off screen rivalry, and the "What happened after Montreal" stuff was cover in about five minutes.

Still, the main documentary is two hours, and is mostly them sitting and talking, with some short two minute year by year comparison montages to cut up JR's questions. All in all, it is recommendable to fans of either superstars.

• 2 weeks later...