Random wrestling thoughts

I'll give Rock this, he gave effort and tried hard. But part of the problem I am finding is the Attitude-ness of all the matches. Like I said, 1.5 disc in and I have already seen:

- 2 Cage Matches (vs. Triple H & vs. Shane McMahon)

- Ladder Match (Vs. Foley)

- Last Man Standing (Vs. Foley)

- No Holds Bared (Vs. Kane, Vs. Austin (XV))

Also, the match choices have been dodgy. I get his IC title win. I get the Rock n' Sock tag title win. They are important points of The Rock's career and should be on any retrospective, even if they are not the best matches. But a random Kane match from a 99 SD? A random RAW match vs. Owen? Seems like there should be better choices? I don't really know as I missed the Attitude Era.

Next match is vs. Kurt Angle, which means WM X-7 and Jericho are ahead, which should make Disc 3 really good.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a lot of the guys who wrestled him would like an Owen match on their collection, especially a guy like Rock who liked and admired the man greatly. That's why that match is on there.

Kane I don't know, although locker-room opinion of him is so high that I can imagine guys wanting to give him a little something out of goodwill. Then again it could be the office just making sure a loyal guy gets paid, that's not unusual on these collections either.

He's better than most, but I'll admit that not every match was a classic. Rock really only got consistently great in 2000 in terms of having matches that really stood out, his mania match with Austin at X-7 was way better than 15. The matches with HHH, Benoit, Angle and Jericho during that period were fantastic too. Rock most memorable matches prior to that were what Foley got out of him, and most of that was down to Mick taking a beating.

The match they had on PPV the month after WM 15 was way better than WM 15 too

More Rock DVD Thoughts:

- I forgot how much I enjoyed the Undertaker during the Undisputed Championship era. It was his best work as BikerTaker and I really enjoyed the tweener champion.

- I still don't understand the match choices. The XV and XIX Austin matches, but not X-7? Skipping over the Brock Lesnar SummerSlam match? Throwing in a random Eddie Guerrero match from RAW (which I think is their only match together 1-on-1)? Not saying anything is bad, just odd choices.

- The Rock does the Sharpshooter a lot more than I remembered.

- Lastly, it seems that every match I watch has someone taking off the turnbuckle pad. Just an observation.

I am not having as much fun with this set as I did with the Undertaker set. With that one, you can see the progression and little changes of the character over time. With The Rock, beyond getting smoother on the mic and in the ring, the character really stays the same. Meh.

On the match choices it's also that they want to them to tessellate with other collections, if you buy both the Austin and Rock sets you don't want too many repeat matches.

That. And, the Attitude era had a lot of screwey main event finishes for matches. The Undertaker DVD covered so many different era's, and showed how he truly is one of the best ever, The Rock was only really in the WWE for one era. So, he worked with what was available to him.

Also, Vince was probably still pissed at Lesnar at the time of making that DVD, so he obviously didn't want to give him any more money,

On the match choices it's also that they want to them to tessellate with other collections, if you buy both the Austin and Rock sets you don't want too many repeat matches.

That. And, the Attitude era had a lot of screwey main event finishes for matches. The Undertaker DVD covered so many different era's, and showed how he truly is one of the best ever, The Rock was only really in the WWE for one era. So, he worked with what was available to him.

Also, Vince was probably still pissed at Lesnar at the time of making that DVD, so he obviously didn't want to give him any more money,

They'll probably throw the match on a Best of Lesnar collection now that they've got a merchandising agreement.

They'll probably throw the match on a Best of Lesnar collection now that they've got a merchandising agreement.

They'll start work on that, the second he regains the UFC title.

That's assuming he wins the thing back, they'll release it in the next year or so.

• 2 weeks later...

As a general rule, everyone looks in top shape for their big return.

Covering up his torso helps a lot too.

True, but his torso was always covered at the beginning too. IN fact, there was a period where there wasn't anything on him except hair that wasn't covered.

Yeah, around 2000. Just before he went to the different more wrestler look, outfit. I love his new mask, it looks like it's been moulded around his face, instead of just being a mask to put over his face. It looks fucking creepy.

Edit: Some pictures

wwe_kane.jpgkane_new_mask.jpg