Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished with the newest Rock documentary. That was something. As a documentary, it is rather shit. It is completely surface level on most things. The Austin, Jericho & Flair sets all had way more stuff to jam into a documentary and I felt they all went deeper into their subject than this Rock set did. And as is par with WWE sets, they focus too much on the last chapter, just because it is the last chapter. Yeah, Rock vs. Cena should be mentioned, but not at that type of length.

But the biggest problem is the fact this set is nothing but a two hour blowjob for Dwayne. To mention other sets (Edge & Orton specifically), not everything on the discs is 'happy fun times'. They go into bad times and what these people went thru. Apparently, Rock is Jesus and has never had a bad day. I thought that they were going somewhere with the Foley Rumble match, but nope. Glossed over and not an issue. No mention of other wrestlers feelings about him coming back for a match here and there. I am not saying go full 'Ultimate Warrior DVD' on the guy. I just don't think he is the 2nd coming that this thing makes him out to be.

I struggle to think of Rock's bad days. Maybe playing football in the CFL? But that was sorta just him trying to find something to do with his life, in wrestling he's kinda been golden, even the crowd's initial response to him only helped his career. I'm not sure they can mention that the WWE forgot to keep him under contract without making the WWE look like idiots.

They probably didn't bring up the Foley thing, as it goes against their current policy about chairshots to the head, and with all the Chris Benoit problems, and Linda's senate run, they thought it would be best not to bring up a man openly allowing his opponent to crack his skull open around a dozen times.

And yeah, Stavros is right, the only time the Rock was hated by anyone was Summerslam 2002, and even then, he was forgiven every time he came back after that.

I agree the DVD is very bland, and nothing really important is covered, because unlike Edge and Jericho, Rock never had troubles getting into WWE, so his story is a little dull, just like most of his films.

My problem with the not talking about the Rumble, is that they talk about it. They state that this match helped solidify The Rock as a main event guy. Rock even goes as far as to say he was 'swinging for the fences'. They show Foley laying in the entrance way with blood just flowing from his head. Foley seems uncomfortable and measured in talking about it. If you go that far, just go all the way.

And even if he does not have bad days, just get more personal. He has a huge tattoo on his shoulder. I know why it is there. I know what it means. But taking five minutes to go over that instead of more 'ROck is aWesome!!__!(!~!+_' would have been nice. I do think you got it right Suave, it is just Bland with a capital B. Which is odd, since The Rock is one of the most charismatic wrestlers ever.

Hey, new WWE stuff steaming on Netflix. Let's go.

ECW: Extreme Rules - I serious hope that no one paid money for this. This was barely worth my time. While being two discs, only one is ECW (the other is 'WWECW'). Granted, I am not a huge fan of ECW, but this shit. Bottom line is this feels like an infomercial for the new ECW. The video promos for everyone probably didn't help much. The Kelly Kelly one was my favorite.

AWE: Night of Legends - Just sad. Not Heroes of Wrestling bad, but yeah. I fast forwarded most of this. A main event of Kevin Nash vs. Ricky Morton was not a draw. And everyone needs to stop booking Terry Funk. I love the guy, but it just hurts to look at the man these days. Just damn.

Punk was assaulted (someone claimed credit for hitting him in the back and kidney twice) and responded in the manner you'd expect. The guy he hit, open-handed mind you, should get free tickets, an apology in person, a trip backstage and a bunch of goodies. That should be the end of it.

• 2 weeks later...