Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The build for the Rumble has been sub-par. And the likely Cena win (or not, because it is too obvious. SWERVE~!) just kinda makes the hype meh.

Granted, I always love the Rumble match itself live. More from the levels of detail they put into these things than anything else.

Yeah. What Prof said. I'm sure the rumble match will be good, but I'm just not looking forward to it, as much as I have other years.

When it's booked right the Rumble can be phenomenal, something that normally just happens when they let Pat Patterson do it. A rumble has to have the right mix of moments to trigger feuds, guest stars, stunts, pushes etc. There should also never be more than ten men in the ring at once, or you lose cohesion and no-one can follow storylines or do spots. I watched every Rumble match ever last year in preparation, and there's few things that irritate me more than a below average Rumble. Some years they've not even brought in any surprises, which defuses half the fun of the whole event.

That list should really be titled ten reasons why Misawa is dead, Steve Austin can barely walk and people in big promotions don't do that shit anymore.

I've had the 2001 Rumble on my Amazon queue for years now. I've just been paid, so I might just go for it now. That was the best Rumble I witnessed as an active wrestling fan.

As for this year, if I can find a stream, I'll watch it on chat. Work rarely mind if I show up late.

Having just watched the PPV, I am kinda mixed. Del Rio v Show was good. The Tag Team match was overshadowed by announce team bickering (back to Heel Cole levels of just awful). The Rumble itself was fun for the first 3/4. Nice mix of surprise and expected. Only thing I wish it had more of was teasing Mania matches. I cannot think of any this set up beyond the winner. I'd say after 22-23ish things kinda slowed down into meh. Punk/Rock wasn't a classic. It just felt flat, kinda like Cena/Rock did. To my eye, Rock is just so much bigger than he used to be and it hinders things.

Having just watched the PPV, I am kinda mixed. Del Rio v Show was good. The Tag Team match was overshadowed by announce team bickering (back to Heel Cole levels of just awful). The Rumble itself was fun for the first 3/4. Nice mix of surprise and expected. Only thing I wish it had more of was teasing Mania matches. I cannot think of any this set up beyond the winner. I'd say after 22-23ish things kinda slowed down into meh. Punk/Rock wasn't a classic. It just felt flat, kinda like Cena/Rock did. To my eye, Rock is just so much bigger than he used to be and it hinders things.

Alberto VS Big Show was better than I expected, with a nice finish. There seemed to be issues between Cole and JBL, for some reason, and the tag match wasn't as good as it should have been.

Daniel Bryan's elimination from the rumble was the highlight of an ok rumble match, the ending just sort of sucked, and everything the winner did after he won felt overly choreographed, like go here for mania sign, go there for photo for poster, and do this to have cool pose at end.

The main event was a letdown, Rock was breathless after ten minutes, and Punk hadn't even started yet. The finish, with McMahon saying "Fuck it, even though the lights were out, you cheated, restart the match"

Also, the rumble should always be the last match, having matches after the rumble just seems odd.

Thinking about the Rumble more today, I have a lesser opinion on it. I feel like a lot of things were wasted. I know the Iron Man and the winner. I don't know who had the most eliminations. I really don't remember much about who eliminated who, save the end (duh) and maybe three more. There were some fun surprises and nifty spots, but overall this seems like a means to an end to set up Cena/Rock II. Nothing else mattered and was treated as such. Blah.

Thinking about the Rumble more today, I have a lesser opinion on it. I feel like a lot of things were wasted. I know the Iron Man and the winner. I don't know who had the most eliminations. I really don't remember much about who eliminated who, save the end (duh) and maybe three more. There were some fun surprises and nifty spots, but overall this seems like a means to an end to set up Cena/Rock II. Nothing else mattered and was treated as such. Blah.

Ryback had the most eliminations at 5. I only know this as someone posted stats on twitter.

Last night on Raw, Heyman was about to be fired by Vince McMahon when Lesnar came back to WWE, and even after Heyman begged him not to, he destroyed Vince with an F-5. Guess that's as good enough a reason for Triple H VS Lesnar 2 as we're going to get, and it works for me.

Had a thought after watching RAW (on fast forward):

Given that the WWE title is not being defended in a Chamber match (and that they traditionally have two on the show), does anybody else think we could see a War Games style match using the Chamber involving The Shield? Much like doing a 6-man TLC match that ended in a pinfall, it takes an established match and puts a new spin on it. I think it would be fun.