Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Linda had somehow been successful in her run for Senator, I could see there being calls for her to step down. As is, she and Shane are the ones who are going to get out of this clean. Stephanie is going to be accused of insider trading at worst and at best, having no confidence in the company. Really, I can see Vince, if things look really bad, going full on MAD. If the company tries to get rid of him, he ensures there isn't a company period. This could very bloody very quickly.

Is it bad that I find this all more interesting than most of the plotlines currently going on on the actual program?

• 2 weeks later...

Forbes isn't going to just pull a number out of their ass. By the nature of things that figure will fluctuate quite a bit over the next few weeks, but I would say that they're most likely pretty close to accurate.

If you're talking about total lost value in the company then yes, it's around $750 million. If it's personal losses on the part of Vince himself then it's closer to $400, he was a billionaire again for a couple of months but now he's merely extraordinarily wealthy. I don't regard it as lost value because the stock price is only slightly lower than it was this time last year, around $12. It was a bubble, they haven't crashed into the toilet.

nXt is my favorite 'promotion' to watch and it is not even close. Takeover and Arrival are my top two show of the year (in that order). Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro is my match of the year. Heck, William Regal is my favorite announcer at the moment (without much competition sadly). All that said, I don't know how any of the roster will translate to WWE proper.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE released 11 people today.

- Brodus Clay. Cannot say I am disappointed. Never clicked outside of the dancing. Good look, but not much else.

- Camacho. Seemed decent, but fell behind most of the nXt guys.

- Yoshi Tatsu. I don't think I have ever seen this guy outside of a battle royal.

- Aksana. I can only think of one divas lower on the totem pole.

- Curt Hawkins. Seemed he knew this was coming for a while and made plans. Good on him.

- Evan Bourne. Thought this already happened. Two wellness violations really killed any chance he had at anything.

- Teddy Long. I am sad that he will never again holla at me. In a tag team match. Playa.

- Referee Marc Harris. Who?

- Drew McIntyre and Jinder Mahal. Most shocking of the released. Yeah 3MB were not going to achieve much, but they served a purpose.

And worst of all

- JTG. Who will be the punchline to all the jokes now?

Vickie Guerrero is gone also, but she was leaving anyways and left on good terms. She will be back some day.

My thoughts:

Brodus Clay - I blame WWE for him not getting over as a heel. They never even tried to make him a monster.

Camacho - Long past due.

Yoshi Tatsu - Long past due.

Aksana - The writing was on the wall when Lana showed up. They never really explained if she was supposed to be a heel or face anyways. She also should have stayed a blonde.

Curt Hawkins - Long past due.

Evan Bourne - He did it himself. He wouldn't have messed up his foot if he wasn't suspended for drugs.

Teddy Long - About fucking time. He is terrible.

Marc Harris - Also known as Black Ref. He's a ref. Who cares?

Drew McIntyre - One of the biggest bombs in the modern WWE. Was billed to be the next big thing, but turned out to be nothing. Should have cut his hair years ago.

Jinder Mahal - A total waste of space on the roster. Should have ditched the turban a long time ago. They never even tried to do anything different with his gimmick. Even in 3MB he was the same character he always was.

JTG - I was convinced he was working as a trainer behind the scenes, and that's why he was still employed. There is no other reason he lasted that long.

There are others that must be holding their breath right now hoping they aren't next. The reason all this came about is because of the company losing so much value recently. This was to keep the stock holders happy.

• 2 weeks later...

So with Money in the Bank on the horizon does anyone have any predictions?

From what I've seen of the build so far if like to think they're going to have Roman Reigns win the title and have Seth Rollins win the contract. That's the long term feud that makes the most sense to me but then this is WWE we're taking about so logical angles can't always be expected.

Whatever happens I hope the don't put the title on Cena or Orton again. Giving either of them another title run achieves nothing and there are 3 guys (Reigns, Cesaro and Wyatt) who would all benefit from a title run and have the crowd following to do it. Reigns had the most potential for me though. Have him face Lesner at Summerslam, win by the skin of his teeth and then Rollins cashes in the contract and is champ in time to feud with Daniel Bryan when he returns from injury.

I'm leaning toward Wyatt or Cena winning the match. Both are kinda directionless and they have they least amount of negatives. Also, putting the title(s) on Cena is the normal solution to 'panic mode'.

Having Reigns win seems way too early for him. We all see the massive potential, but he has yet to prove it in singles. His stand out moments are in Rumbles, Survivor Series and 6 man tags. I can only think of roughly 4-5 singles matches off the top of my head, and none were good.

I think Cesaro has lost a lot of steam since the Heyman pairing and I hope they have a Lesnar match in the works.

Del Rio and Sheamus have about as much chance of winning this as JTG does. Fired, and it still works.

At any rate, MITB has always produced an exciting PPV. A bit more unpredictability this year should only help.

I agree in the normal scheme of things it seems a bit early for Reigns to win but they seem to be building an angle of him outwitting the authority in order to get into the Battle Royal and then win.

It seems like they are positioning Reigns in the Daniel Brian position of being held back by the Authority and Reigns having to overcome their scheming. If they aren't going to put the strap on him then I the angle goes nowhere. It wouldn't be the first time WWE have done that mind.

A Cena win does absolutely nothing for the company. Cena is over with the people he's over with and hated by the rest. A title win isn't going to make him more popular and there is no one he can feud with who he's either feuded so much that no one cares or won't lose clean to so what's the point of fueding. Like him or loathe him Cena is at the stage where he could lose every week and his merchandise would still fly off the shelves but WWE is still crazy protective of him.

The fans are tired of the same guys winning the title over and over again. That's one of the reasons Bryan was so popular and they went nuts when he won. He was someone different. That's why I think they need to put it on either Reigns, Wyatt or Cesaro. They need to expand their main event roster and they all have some momentum behind them. It makes sense to give it to one of them over the summer at least and then gave them lose at Summerslam. A short title run to test the water.

I'd be happy with any of those three winning it. Reigns seems to be the one that they are building an angle around which was why I thought he was the most likely of the them but Wyatt and Cesaro both have potential programmes you could build abound.

The other thing in thinking about is that chances are Lesner will be challenging for the championship at Summerslam so you want someone who'll look good against him. Cena has had a lot of fitness problems of late so I don't see him doing a match as physical as one on one with Lesner. I think the crowd would pop big at the idea of Lesner Vs Reigns.

Seth/Tyler winning the briefcase was the right call I'll grant you but the title should have gone to anyone but Cena. He doesn't need it and giving it to him achieves nothing and if anything it's starting to devalue the title. It's starting to become "The John Cena Title for Being John Cena"

WWE's locker room is suffering from a severe lack of depth and will continue to do so while the keep protecting and elevating Cena to the exclusion of their up and coming talent. It's like they have forgotten how to build talent into stars. They managed to do it with Cena but they have failed to achieve it with anyone since. The really big guys of the last few years haven't been people that WWE made. They were guys like Punk and Bryan who got massively over despite WWE not being that interested in them but pushing them because the crowd was demanding it. Even when they do give them the push they handle it so poorly as if to give fans the finger for asking for it in the first place.

I don't see it that way at all anymore. It's more that Cena's a stable top name and they're planning to sacrifice him to Brock at Summerslam. If it was Cena with no plan I'd be more on your side but this isn't lasting past August and I'd rather see Cena in that role than waste a first time title on someone else or sidebar into someone inconsequential like a Sheamus or Del Rio.

There is an issue in really pulling the trigger on upcoming guys but I think that's partially solved by uniting the top title, before a secondary guy could hold either and not be responsible for the show as a whole, now one guy will be top billed. When Rollins or Reigns takes that title it'll mean much more that it did when Sheamus or Alberto did.

I'm about a month behind on Raw & Smackdown, since I don't have cable and the shows don't show up on WWE Network until a month after the original air date.

With that in mind, here is my question: Is Rusev's character just a racist who hates black people?

Seems strange that they keep booking him against black wrestlers.

He killed Zack Ryder once or twice.

---------------------

That was kinda a dull MITB match. Seems to be the trend when you have two on the show. In that the first is the younger guys doing (stupid) things, while the main event guys don't. It all makes sense, but it still makes for a dull match.

I'm not that upset about Cena winning. Sheamus, Kane & Del Rio are just dead characters, Orton flopped as a champion and Reigns/Wyatt/Cesaro 1st title reigns should be a big deal and not a short pop before SummerSlam.

Overall, the PPV had quite a bit of filler. I really only watched the MITB matches and the opening tag. Usos have been really good and Harper has the 'surprisingly athletic big man' stuff down. I'd say the two stars of the night are Rollins & Ambrose. Hugh pop for Ambrose returning. Good stuff.

For as goofy and nonsensical that it is, Cody Rhodes has gone 110% with this Stardust gimmick. Beyond the weird movements, he has added several new moves and altered some of his signature spots. Slightly interesting, but enough with Ryback/Axel. This best of 70,000 series has grown stale.

I agree. Cody always had gone 100% with whatever insane gimmick he's been given. Whether it's his Phantom of the Opera mask or growing a terrible moustache he always runs with it.

They need to have the tag belts put on them. As much as the Usos are good wrestlers they're a pretty bland tag team. They need to drop the titles to the Wyatts and then have the Wyatts feud with Goldust and Stardust I a battle of who's weirdest.