Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember watching it last night and just being constantly amazed by some of the bone-headed ways matches went. The New Age Outlaws show that when you're aging wrestlers who were semi-big for riding the coattails of bigger names a decade ago, you can continue to do so. Daniel Bryan losing to Wyatt was just... I'm still annoyed there. The Brock Lesner/Big Show match was five minutes of match and ten minutes of Big Show getting hit with a chair. It was boring, insulting, and needed to end in like three minutes. Orton and Cena is what it is: A bathroom break. The crowd started chanting that they wanted a Divas match during it. That's when you know things are bad. Finally, the Rumble itself was just boring. This is the one event I watch every year no matter what. At the very least, the Rumble itself should be exciting. The fact that it wasn't just screams something is wrong.

On what Dubs said about riding the same horses, can't agree more. The success of the Attitude Era is such a double edged sword. On one hand, it was what propelled the company to what it is today. On the other, because some of those people are still so popular, they feel they need to try to keep them around. They have plenty of great talent that they refuse to utilize for long periods of time. When R. Truth went out in like a minute last night, I just thought to myself, "I remember when he was a number one contender a few years ago." If you're unlucky, you get pushed, make yourself more popular than Cena but, because you don't sell t-shirts, you quickly become another jobber. It's not frustrating, it's mainly just annoying.

Bryan is an excuse to chant YES! YES! YES!. Look at his match with Wyatt. The crowd would start chanting YES! for Bryan throwing kicks, then not react when Bryan was selling. Then when Wyatt came out to attack Cena they chant YES! YES! YES! for the guy who just beat their supposed hero. The chant and not the man is over.

Bryan is an excuse to chant YES! YES! YES!. Look at his match with Wyatt. The crowd would start chanting YES! for Bryan throwing kicks, then not react when Bryan was selling. Then when Wyatt came out to attack Cena they chant YES! YES! YES! for the guy who just beat their supposed hero. The chant and not the man is over.

The crowd's rabid booing when he didn't come out at #30 disagrees with that.

Thing is on paper I liked the story of the Rumble, fewer choke points than normal but Romans dominance and position in storyline as a new Batista made the choice of final two make sense. Like HBK vs Taker, it's foreshadowing of an inevitable future match.

Problem is that Bryan is so rabidly over that anyone else is a letdown in any situation. In fact he's so over that I keep expecting backlash but it never happens. It's absurd that he's not in their title picture for Mania, I can only hope Batista cashes in his shot at the chamber, wins it and we get a Dave/Bryan rematch at Mania.

If Bryan gets stuck with Sheamus it's an insult in every possible way, both in calibre of opponent an in he shameful history of the mania history between the two.

That crowd wanted one thing: Daniel Bryan. WWE did not deliver on that front. Probably for the best, as if he didn't win I think the crowd would have been 'worse'.

Totally disagree. If Daniel Bryan had at least participated in the Rumble and been eliminated, they would have gotten mega-heel heat on whoever eliminated him, and they could build something off of that.

I agree.

I guess In my mind, Bryan would have replaced Sheamus in the final three. Thus he is either eliminated by Reigns or Big Dave. Reigns is going to go face in the Shield break-up and Batista just came back. Doubt they want uber-heel heat on either.

I normally watch the Rumble PPV live and watch the Rumble again the next day. This year I just have no motivation to do so.

Something hit me while watching the ending of RAW. I am bored with Shield 6-man tags. Yeah, they are good to great matches. But I have seen way too many of them by this point. I think all combination of three people has been used except a team of JTG/Sami Zayn/Masato Tanaka. It was great while it lasted, but I am ready to see what they guys can do on their own.

Given what fueled his "quitting" last time, I wouldn't be surprised but, considering that this is getting reported everywhere with the exception of the main page of WWE.com, I almost have to lean towards it being true. He's a smart guy and can see the writing on the wall for anyone that isn't someone who moves a ton of merch (Cena, Orton), someone who's close friends with the establishment (any former D-Xer), or someone who's management team has arranged a return to the ring because they have a movie to promote (Batista, The Rock). Hell, Daniel Bryan is the biggest example of that. R-truth is also a great example. He's just getting out before he gets shoved to the back while Cena headlines another Mania.

Given what fueled his "quitting" last time, I wouldn't be surprised but, considering that this is getting reported everywhere with the exception of the main page of WWE.com, I almost have to lean towards it being true. He's a smart guy and can see the writing on the wall for anyone that isn't someone who moves a ton of merch (Cena, Orton), someone who's close friends with the establishment (any former D-Xer), or someone who's management team has arranged a return to the ring because they have a movie to promote (Batista, The Rock). Hell, Daniel Bryan is the biggest example of that. R-truth is also a great example. He's just getting out before he gets shoved to the back while Cena headlines another Mania.

I have to ask; R-Truth? You said something about him during the Rumble chat as well. So, um, why?

Just caught up with the Rumble and my what an odd show. I think at least part of the crowd turning on it wasn't just a lack of Bryan but the fact that once it was clear that Bryan wasn't in it everyone was just watching Batista get handed a title shot because that was the deal that has been done behind the scenes. Look how hot they got for the possibility of Roman Reigns winning just because it would be someone who is clearly due a push which he will get eventually. Batista winning means that we are going to get 2 months of build up to a match that no one cares about.

I think people are tired of guys walking in after years and being handed title shots. That's what TNA is supposed to do, not WWE. After The Rock came back everyone was ok with him headlining Mania, then after the second time people were annoyed. Now that Batista is doing it, people are pissed. Three years in a row is too much.

Someone at the Oratory said it best, and I'm paraphrasing:

Wrestlemania is no longer about the climax to months-long feuds that many times propel the next big star into the limelight. It's now just a Hollywood-style extravaganza designed to have as many big names attached to it as possible.