Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Him not getting involved in that final beatdown tells me that they're likely transitioning him into a less physical role. He has to be pretty banged up considering how long he's been going with little major injury.

I do think he's done phenomenally well in his career to avoid major injuries but yeah, that just means he's never had the extended break that others have had. He's a good enough performer that I'm fine with him in a mostly non-wrestling role, but I'm worried that the writing staff will treat him poorly as ever.

I've been watching nXt for a little over a month. While I enjoy it, it still has its flaws. The one hour format is a main draw for me, but on the flip side, I haven't seen most of these people more than twice. I haven't had much of a reason to care. The commentary is a mess, switching every episode and a needlessly crowed 3-person booth.

I do not know about some of these gimmicks. Most of these scream 90s WWF or even Chikara.

NXT is where WWE gets to throw shit against a wall and see what sticks, which makes for a super messy show that varies a lot in quality. It's significantly different to the safe homogenised product that WWE normally puts out.

But that's why I love it. It's a show where they actually try things out, giving people crazy gimmicks that they might not quite be comfortable with and letting them run wild. I can't believe someone thought the CJ Parker gimmick was a good idea, but they did it, and the wrestler behind it gave it all he could, and now it's probably going to be forgotten about. But I'm glad they tried.

It's the only WWE show I make an effort to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

So, at TLC, John Cena, the world heavyweight champion, will face Randy Orton, the WWE champion, in a TLC match for both championships. This isn't a unification match, but one man will walk out as both WWE and World champion.

Also, outside of the Daniel Bryan/CM Punk VS The Wyatt family tag team match, Survivor Series was another mediocre WWE PPV.

So, at TLC, John Cena, the world heavyweight champion, will face Randy Orton, the WWE champion, in a TLC match for both championships. This isn't a unification match, but one man will walk out as both WWE and World champion.

Also, outside of the Daniel Bryan/CM Punk VS The Wyatt family tag team match, Survivor Series was another mediocre WWE PPV.

They will have both belts hanging above the ring. I'm almost willing to bet what is going to happen is they both get a title at the same time and end up swapping titles.

Exactly. Vince McMahon is so goddamned terrified to deviate from the same stale garbage from the last decade, it's infuriating. I think I heard he removed Daniel Bryan from the main event push he was receiving because he didn't believe he could be a true main eventer (paraphrased). Never mind the fact that he's the most over guy they have besides maybe CM Punk. Nah, let's just have Orton/Cena: Round 4,934. WWE is allergic to logic.

Seems that the long term plan is to turn Roman Reins into a singles main eventer. Bryan seems to have joined Punk in that strange side category of wrestlers who were once main eventers despite not conforming to what Vince thinks a main eventer should look like (ie big) and now get shuffled off to the side.

You only have to listen to the crowd reactions to Bryan and Punk to know how over they are and yet WWE keeps shoving Cena down their throats as the guy they are meant to cheer for no other reason than they say so.

If they want to reignite the programme using Cena the solution is simple. Turn him heel. Has any WWE wrestler had this long a run as a face? WWE send suddenly petrified that a heel Cena will lose them revenue. I don't think they would take that hit. People like Stone Cold and The Rock still sold plenty of merchandise when they were heels.

This idea that a Cena Vs Orton plus the Authority will place Cena in the anti authority role is just laughable. Cena is a company man to his core. That was the basis of his feud with Punk. Hell in his feud with The Rock he was the bland corporate symbol pitted against the legend.

A heel Cena would shake things up and make the WWE think about who to elevate to face him. This will never happen as now he is Saint Cena the Indestructible. He's a modern day Hulk Hogan and as far as modern wrestling goes is a massive step backwards.

Cena sells more merchandise than anyone else. He's all over the media as a "good guy". They have too much invested in him to turn him heel. They freak out when he gets injured. It's the same reason Hogan was never turned in the 80s.

Yeah, the crowd yells for Punk and DB, but the kids actually buy all of Cena's crap every time he changes colors. Thousands of people buy tickets just to see him. They have the numbers when he was injured and ticket sales went down. They aren't going to turn him heel until they have someone to replace him with in the kids minds and more importantly their parent's wallets.