The news thread

Missy

Here's the way I see it. If you're gonna be an ass to me about the whole thing, or I can't see probably cause for me being called off to get sexually assaulted, I'm gonna give you shit every step of the way. But if you don't look like you're enjoying it, I can cut you a bit of slack.

Still, people. COMPLAIN TO YOUR FREAKING SUPERIORS. WALK OUT. Don't take that shit lying down.

Shaun, who knows? The parent was pretty fucking furious that it was happening in the first place, from what I saw.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit this is me arguing just to balance the debate, but in a country with unemployment above 10%, it's hard to tell someone to walk off the job if they don't like it. NOW, if the unions actually, you know, cared about workers, society, common man, they would actually have every single one of their members refuse to conduct the sexual assaults, I mean security checks, and they would be gone in a matter of days.

On a side note, and I bring this up every time there safety is ramped up against terrorism, but someone could explode a suicide bomb on the NY subway under the hudson river and it would kill thousands and paralyse the city. But do you see anyone scanning every single user the subway? No, because it would cause a fucking outcry and isn't logistically possible. Just saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Superman's best friend is in hot water for allegedly dealing drugs.

Sam Jones 3rd, who played Clark Kent's buddy on the CW show "Smallville," was arrested Wednesday morning in a federal drug sting, TMZ.com reported.

The Drug Enforcement Agency said Jones, 26, was accused of being a "co-conspirator" in several major drug deals last year.

According to court documents, the actor and several others devised a plan to purchase and distribute more than 10,000 oxycodone pills.

Jones was reportedly taken into custody by DEA agents who described him as the "Hollywood connection" to the plot.

The 26-year-old actor has been charged with conspiracy to possess illegal drugs with the intent to distribute. If convicted, Jones faces up to 20 years in federal prison.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me that even in 2010 schools still think they can do stuff like this.

LOUISVILLE (CN) - A school district spent $1 million tax dollars on a new fieldhouse, but there's "No Girls Allowed" - it has no locker room for girls, or even a girls' bathroom, high school students and their parents say. North Oldham High School in Goshen, Ky., spent the public money "strictly for the use of boys and boys' athletics," according to the federal complaint.

Two girls and their parents sued the Oldham County Board of Education, its Superintendent Paul Upchurch and North Oldham High School Principal Lisa Jarrett. Both girls run cross-country and track.

The School Board spent $1 million of public money on the fieldhouse, which was completed in October 2008.

"The Fieldhouse was constructed and designed strictly for the use of boys and boys' athletics," according to the complaint. "The Fieldhouse contains a locker room for football, shower and restroom facilities for boys only, offices for coaches of boys' sports only, a film and meeting room for use of boys and boys' sports only, a training room for use for boys' sports only, a laundry room used for boys' sports only, and even a separate locker room and shower/bathroom for use by visiting boys' teams.

"The Fieldhouse has no facilities for girls or for girls' athletics, and in fact does not even have a girls' or women's bathroom in it.

"The defendants have failed and refused to allow girls at North Oldham High School, including the minor plaintiffs, any use of the Fieldhouse, employing a 'No Girls Allowed' policy, except briefly during the spring, when the defendants allow the girls' track team to use the visiting boys' locker room. For the majority of the school year, girls are excluded from the Fieldhouse, and even the locker room for visiting football teams is off limits to girls, even though that visiting locker room is superior to any facility open to girls at North Oldham High School.

"Girls at North Oldham High School have for their use no facility equal or even remotely comparable to the Fieldhouse. [Plaintiffs] C.P.R. and L.J.W. and other girls on the cross-country team, for example, must change clothes in their coach's office closet or in the hallway or faculty bathrooms. This policy has created a situation in which girls are assigned and restricted to clearly inferior athletic facilities, because changing clothes in an office closet is simply not equal or even comparable to changing in a modern $1,000,000 Fieldhouse."

Parent-plaintiffs Richard F. Richards and Christine Wattley say the school and district violate Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Kentucky Civil Rights Act.

They seek an injunction requiring the school to "(a) cease and desist from all further discrimination against girls in the use of the Fieldhouse and any other facility; (b) build a comparable fieldhouse for girls' teams or retrofit the Fieldhouse to convert approximately one-half of its floor space for use by girls' athletics, including equal use of coaches offices, training rooms, and conference/film space; and © implement policies at North Oldham High School and throughout the school system that ensure future compliance with Title IX and similar laws."

The families are represented by E. Douglas Richards of Lexington.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/30/32974.htm

...Oh wow. The random crazy theory seems to abound with this, and here's hoping that the case, but there's some REALLY unfortunate connections to the Tea Partiers, cause the woman was on Sarah Palin's list of targets cause they voted for the health care bill. Said target list also had crosshairs on it for each target.

Or just non-inflammatory rhetoric, that would be nice.

I think at this point, everyone and their grandmother has "connections to the Tea Partiers."

Crazy people are crazy people.

Crazy people are indeed crazy, but you have to recognize that if you have a map up with the words "don't retreat, reload", and gun sights over certain districts/senators, people might take you at your word and do something crazy/stupid.

I am NOT saying that Loughner is connected to the Tea Partiers, it's just looking like he's pretty batshit at this point in general, what with the YouTube videos about mind control and illiteracy.

What I AM saying is that the inflammatory/elimination rhetoric on all sides of politics should stop, cause it's not surprising that something like this happened, lone crazy or not.

What I AM saying is that the inflammatory/elimination rhetoric on all sides of politics should stop, cause it's not surprising that something like this happened, lone crazy or not.

Sounds good to me. When inflammatory rhetoric stops getting votes, that'll probably happen.

Never!

The Westboro Baptist Chrurch is planning to picket the shooting victims funerals. Seriously, can someone just show these people the definition of good taste?

I'm pretty sure they just picket everything acknowledged to be good and just, for the sake of doing it. Gives 'em attention.

I want to know why that place is still considered a church.

A) Because, unfortunately, that's what they call themselves.

B) Because the term "church" is not required to mean "nice people."

C) That way anti-religious people can use them for finger-pointing.

At least with that sort of thing, it's not usually from a place of outright hatred. Most of my friends around here are churchgoers that don't support gay marriage, but it's not because of any type of hate or fear towards gays; it's just that they have a very different perspective on the concept of marriage itself. You can say that their views are incorrect or even immoral, but that doesn't make them hate-mongerers the same way that the Westboro psychos are.

It's the personal factor that makes it go completely over the edge. It's one thing to say "I support/don't support Issue X because of factor Y," but it's another thing when factor Y is "we/God/whomever hates Group Z."

I've been doing some thinking on the whole church definition thing, though, and something struck me.

Near as I can tell, the sort of "central" Christian belief (as far as personal action is concerned) is that "love" is the most important ideal for personal behavior. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 lists the qualities of love (and, therefore, the way Christians are supposed to act):

Patience

Kindness

Not Envious

Not Boastful

Does not Dishonor others

Not Selfish

Not Easily Angered

Keeps no record of others' wrongs

Always protects

Always trusts

Always hopes

Always perseveres.

The Westboros pretty much break all those. (Except maybe perseverance. They sure don't seem to ever quit.)

There's no excuse for anyone to try to pin the blame for the Tuscon shooting on anyone in mainstream politics. Any person trying to score political points is an asshole cynically trying to score political points on a horrible crime and a great tragedy. These people should be ashamed.

Our thoughts should only be with the families of the victims.