Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

Grave of Fireflies slipped my mind, I haven't seen it but I do know about it. Princess Mononoke is one I've seen bits and pieces of but I really need to sit down and watch the whole thing. Still, Ghibli hasn't produced a truly mature film in a few years, and while I hear their more recent films are fantastic, I just can't get into them.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grave of Fireflies slipped my mind, I haven't seen it but I do know about it. Princess Mononoke is one I've seen bits and pieces of but I really need to sit down and watch the whole thing. Still, Ghibli hasn't produced a truly mature film in a few years, and while I hear their more recent films are fantastic, I just can't get into them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Howl's Moving Castle for starters. While Tales of Earthsea wasn't good, it was still pretty mature. The thing is, if you're saying mature meaning dark, then yeah, sure. However, none of Ghibli's films have ever been really light hearted fun and all have dealt with some mature subject matter. The Cat Returns is the closest to pure escape as far as any of the films go. Spirited Away is kinda nightmare fuel if you really think about it (Chihiro is in danger of losing her family, her memories of them, and her very identity. Who knows how many people in the bathhouse have had the same fate befallen upon them?). Arrietty maybe but then there's this unspoken feeling of dread in the film that the family might be the last of their kind.

That said, 2013 is supposed to see two more films from Studio Ghibli (From Up On Poppy Hill was actually released in 2011 in Japan.) Only one is supposed to be a fantasy and neither sound very kiddish for lack of a better term.

Howl's Moving Castle for starters.

That's one that I did enjoy.

While Tales of Earthsea wasn't good, it was still pretty mature.

I've never heard of it.

The thing is, if you're saying mature meaning dark, then yeah, sure.

That's pretty much what I meant.

However, none of Ghibli's films have ever been really light hearted fun and all have dealt with some mature subject matter. The Cat Returns is the closest to pure escape as far as any of the films go. Spirited Away is kinda nightmare fuel if you really think about it (Chihiro is in danger of losing her family, her memories of them, and her very identity. Who knows how many people in the bathhouse have had the same fate befallen upon them?). Arrietty maybe but then there's this unspoken feeling of dread in the film that the family might be the last of their kind.

They may not be 'lighthearted' but there just isn't enough substance to keep me interested.

I didn't enjoy Spirited Away, so I'm sure how similar it is to that film. I did like Howl's Moving Castle a good bit more though.

They're very different. Mononoke is an action-adventure with an environmentalism message.

And funnily enough, I loved Spirited Away, but thought Howl's Moving Castle was just okay.

The other thing you got to remember is that, for the most part, there's a reason Miyasaki has gained the reputation of The Walt Disney of Japan. Ghibli makes family films mostly. Going into a family movie wanting dark just doesn't work. Even Grave of the Fireflies, with it's really dark subject matter, was targeted towards families. It was a way to show kids part of their cultural heritage. It was also released as a double billing with My Neighbor Totoro which depending on the order you watch them either makes for a good palette cleanser or just deepens how depressing the movie afterwards will be.