Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

Ted used to be a really great character, back in season 1 or 2. The problem is that the quest for the mother has been artificially inflated because of unwanted and unnecessary renewals by CBS, so Ted has had to waste time with idiot women we know aren't the one, making him kind of a jackass in the process.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as Peter Jackson needs an editor, I'll say this for him, he ditched Tom Bombadil. I'm listening to the unabridged fellowship audiobook and Bombadil is seriously worse than Jar Jar Binks, he's fucking unbearable. Why did Tolkien invent this big fat weirdo who talks only in song and somehow has godlike powers?

It's a philosophical thing. Nature is one of the biggest themes in LOTR, and Tom Bombadil represents a certain philosophical idea within that theme. He's kind of a mindless idiot, but that's on purpose.

It's probably not helping that you're listening to the audio book; all the singing must be unbearable.

He's only in parts of the first book, so you just have to get through those and you'll be fine..

Somewhere in my flat is a Hobbit audiobook, recorded on 5 (or 7) vinyl records and spoken by the (now dead) actor Nicol Williamson. I'm moving in the next few months, so I will be able to find it again. Then all I need to do is find some way to play the records and transfer them to mp3. I remember his Gollum was brilliant.

I've been listening to the Rob Inglis version from around 1990, I really liked his Hobbit and aside from TB his Lord of the Rings is good, although the book itself is bizarrely wandering and aimless when compared to the films. I had to get through 8 CDs before they even reached the house of Elrond, which is like 45 minutes into the film.

It's not necessarily wandering, it's just far more detailed. Even if you look at the geography of Middle-Earth, there's a huge gap between Hobbiton and Rivendell, full of a hundred dangers for Hobbits. Furthermore, that first half (up until just after the Council of Elrond) is literally its own book. The Lord ofthe Rings is actually six books, not three. So the Hobbits' journey to Rivendell is meant to be its own story.

I still plan to listen through the whole thing, I've read it before anyway. It's just that when you're listening to it it really hits you how huge it is and how skilled the editing job by Jackson was at the time. I'm watching the extended Fellowship now and there's a lot of extra material hinting at much of the books but it's still lightweight compared to the text.

As a sports movie and as a comedy, Major League holds up really well. However, the Jake / Lynn plot is very uncomfortable to watch.

• Jake sees Lynn, his ex, in a restaurant, and refers to her as his "wife" even though she's not and never was.
  • He then fakes a phone call to her just to get her attention.
  • Once Jake has Lynn's attention, he practically begs for her to come back. She says no, so he acts like a child and makes fun of her current boyfriend.
  • He says he won't leave until Lynn gives him her number. So she does.
  • The next day (?) Jake calls it, but it's a fake, so he shows up at her work, and procedes to start a fight with her.
  • Lynn reveals he cheated on her, so she doesn't want him back. His response amounts to, "Yeah, but, you know, I have a penis and that's what penises do. Plus, I've changed. Really."
  • Later, under the advice of Willie Mays Hayes, Jake follows Lynn back to what he thinks is her house and lets himself in uninvited.
  • It turns out it's not her place, but her boyfriend's. And they're in the middle of hosting guests.
  • The boyfriend then offers Jake a drink, and the guests ask Jake about his life. He says he once had a dream to settle down with a swimmer, move to Hawaii, and raise their kids to also be swimmers. It's sussed out that he means Lynn.
  • The boyfriend, who's really Lynn's fiancé, shows Jake out and tells him to fuck off.
  • Later, after a game, Jake sees Lynn in the stands and follows her back to her real house, once again letting himself in.
  • Lynn says that she doesn't want to be with him because he cheated on her more than once. And one of those affairs led to a paternity suit. (It was a scam, but Jake did sleep with the woman.)
  • Jake starts to leave, but then he backs her into a corner and they have sex. Thus, Lynn cheats on her fiancé after yelling at Jake for cheating on her.
  • Again, later, Jake lets himself into her place, but she's moved out.
  • However, in the end, not only does Jake hit the game-winning ball, Lynn leaves her fiancé for Jake.

The moral of the story: It's okay to have delusional fantasies about your ex, cause fights at her work, stalk her, break into her boyfriend's house, break into her house, and intimidate her into sex because you'll be rewarded with her love and a career highlight.

Also, how is Lynn any better than Jake after she cheats on her fiancé?

As Shana and I watched it on Saturday, I commented that yeah, the fiancé acts like a cock to Jake, but Jake just entered another man's house because he was following that man's woman home. Jake's lucky the fiancé didn't throw him out the fucking window.

I don't think you're reading too much into it. You have written more about Major League than anyone else though.

What's worse, I actually have more to say about it, especially about religion, but that would be reading too much into it.

I now want to see something on race relations in Necessary Roughness, stat!

With Scott Bakula, Robert Loggia, and Jason Bateman in the cast, I don't see how anything can go wrong.

Oh. Oh... Rob Schneider's in it too, I see.

I don't think you're reading too much into it. You have written more about Major League than anyone else though.

Including, I would wager, the writers of Major League.

However, Mike is correct. It's startling to go back and watch a lot of 80s or 90s comedies and see just how much of the heroes' behavior would be seen as intensely skeevy at best and horrifically criminal at worst.