DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because remember, married men, you're not interesting enough to tell stories about.

:/

Really, though? I'm still trying to figure out what is and isn't in continuity anymore, besides the writers' personal picks. It's just confusing as hell.

Though, given the direction that recent writers (fucking JMS) decided to take the marriage, I'm not that surprised. Still, if this is making way for Supes/Wondy, I will be disappointed.

DC's official press release on Post-Flashpoint Superman.

Okay, I'm trying to put this as clear as I can without sounding like a total douche bag fanboy.

Okay, here goes: SUPERMAN DOES NOT FUCKING BROOD! BATMAN BROODS! SUPERMAN INSPIRES PEOPLE TO BE BETTER AND BROODING JUST INSPIRES PEOPLE TO ROLL THEIR EYES OR THINK, "Wow, let's market that to girls. They like brooding." ARE YOU TRYING TO MARKET SUPERMAN TO GIRLS BECAUSE MOST OF THE GEEK GIRLS WILL PROBABLY SNEER AT YOUR ATTEMPT AT BEST AND THE NON-GEEK GIRLS ARE PROBABLY NOT READING COMICS OR AREN'T GOING TO START READING SUPERMAN BECAUSE HE'S IN THE CORNER SULKING! ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE SUPERMAN BATMAN BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE A BATMAN! YOU DON'T NEED TWO CHARACTERS WITH THE SAME PERSONALITY! YOU DID THAT IN THE SILVER AGE WHEN NONE OF THEM HAD PERSONALITIES! SUPERMAN'S PARENTS TAUGHT HIM BETTER!

Now, in a more controlled response, why are they getting rid of the Kents and going back to the pre-crisis, Clark Kent is the Mask, interpretation of the character? Whenever I defend Superman from people who pull the "He's just an alien" card, I can draw on Superman being Clark primarily. It's why I've found New Krypton and the walking tour storyline to be bullshit since Superman wouldn't need to reconnect to his humanity since he's human in all matters except biology. Honestly, I half wonder is these last two stories happened so they could start distancing Superman from being Clark Kent. As for killing the Kents, why? What is there to add to the story by doing that?

In the end, it all comes back to one thing: I still think this is all some kind of stunt with most of the changes going away after a year or so.

I'm trying to be reasonable about this and keep an open mind and not fly off the handle every time they say something I don't like and wait to see for myself what happens, but there is nothing - literally NOTHING - that has been said or shown about this entire thing that doesn't make it sound like a clusterfuck of epic proportions. I don't pretend to be a big DC reader, but nothing I've heard or seen has given me even the slightest inclination to pick anything up come September.

I'm trying to be reasonable about this and keep an open mind and not fly off the handle every time they say something I don't like and wait to see for myself what happens, but there is nothing - literally NOTHING - that has been said or shown about this entire thing that doesn't make it sound like a clusterfuck of epic proportions. I don't pretend to be a big DC reader, but nothing I've heard or seen has given me even the slightest inclination to pick anything up come September.

Right. I don't MEAN to sound horribly pessimistic and negative, but literally every single thing I've heard has sounded awful.

"Soft" Reboot and New Readers

Nrama: You're trying to reach new readers, and you're making Superman more "accessible" by dropping his convoluted history. And yet at the same time, you have this "soft" reboot where you've got Barbara dealing with her lengthy past, you've got a Green Lantern #1 comic that doesn't star Hal Jordan because of a recent storyline, and you've got a Batman with a son from a past storyline. Isn't this making continuity more convoluted? Why did you make the decision to keep this type of continuity when you're dropping others to attract new readers? Was it only about what books were already selling well?

Lee: I would say it was all creatively decided, but obviously if you have really strong content and really great creative direction, it's going to affect sales.

On an editorial level, we instinctively knew what was working and what wasn't working. We knew what needed a fresh coat of paint or even a complete overall. I'll use Teen Titans as an example of a concept where we changed it a lot. In that case, we felt that the book should be doing better, and creatively, we felt it was one that needed a shock to the system.

That's what you're seeing. Sometimes we realized we had to take a pretty strong stand and do something dramatically different.

Source

I would feel terribly insulted by this statement if I were a pre-reboot creator whose work was being erased because Jim Lee, Dan DiDio, and Geoff Johns felt my book "should be doing better" and needed "a shock to the system."

The sad thing is, most of the books I'm getting in September are the ones where the old team or storylines are getting continued or the ones where it's something completely new and nothing is really getting rebooted in the process. Since I made up my mind not to get Action, Justice League is the only straight reboot I'm getting.

Well, bye bye Action.

Looks like I'm grabbing only the Lantern stuff and the first issues of Edge and Stormwatch. No rebooted title is worth it because it won't be as good as they shitty titles they're replacing in the first place.

On Mike's statement about other titles not performing: those creative teams should feel bad, but not because they've been slighted. Because they've had months and months to make something of their series and they didn't. Krul, Simone and the lot have failed to make interesting comics.

My only outrage at this reboot has to do with the same old people having the same old jobs. Want to make a change? Cut detritus like Simone and Krul.

That last one angers me more than it should, honestly.

Like, I don't even care that much about Superman and I'm at OMD levels of fanboy hate here.

It's like the readers are now forced to be these weird unwitting cuckolds to all of this.

They're playing up more of the Kryptonian stuff at the other title, but mine is about the farmboy in the city, and Clark Kent is doing as much work on fighting social injustice as Superman is.

Superman isn't Batman. he can never be brooding and sitting on gargoyles.

Batman, only two people died in his life and he's been sad ever since. Superman lost billions and still has a smile on his face.

So my Superman will be a pro-active, young, powerful guy. It's Action Comics, so Superman has to be doing stuff!

He's only darker in the sense that he gets stuff done. he's no longer a friend of the law, he stands for Justice, and that may conflict with the law sometimes.

Just a reminder that Grant Morrison understands Superman.

1) Looks like I'm getting Action Comics again. Thank you Morrison for at least trying to remind me that All-Star Superman wasn't a fluke, hoping for a Chronovore appearance in there.

2) I am disgusted by Superman, the book. I agree, this is a OMD level of a misstep.

3) As I've said prior in this thread, I'm sticking to my theory of Batgirl being a combination of taking place in the past when Babs was Batgirl and the present when she's Oracle.

4) I like that they're acknowledging that Booster might realize the reboot happened.

5) If that many people are asking about Wally, guess what? People want Wally. Do people ask Barry Allen questions? Exactly!