DC reboot

dc20willsave

If they really want new blood, and there are people like my friend out there who haven't been published but they've expressed an interest in for several years running, with the publishment requirement being the only thing holding them from hiring, then damn the requirement and just take the chance on them, I guess.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hah, and given the segment of the fandom that's probably taking it up, I can believe it.

What it comes down to for me is this. Do I think there could be improvement, be it in the amount of women creators, or in the amount of costumes that don't make them look slutty? Absolutely. But I'd rather quality be taken into account over quotas.

If they really want new blood, and there are people like my friend out there who haven't been published but they've expressed an interest in for several years running, with the publishment requirement being the only thing holding them from hiring, then damn the requirement and just take the chance on them, I guess.

That's just it. They SAY they want new blood because that's what a vast percentage of the audience is screaming for, but what they ACTUALLY want is a sure thing. They're a business. What they want is to sell comic books. And the safest way to do that, especially on the heels of a HUGE gamble like the reboot, is to give the audience what they already know (or think) the audience wants. If they could get Jim Lee to draw 12 books a month they would do it, because there's a built-in audience for his work.

As for your friend, she should self- or web-publish some of her work if she hasn't already. People don't break into the Big Two by submitting samples anymore; they break into the Big Two by proving they can consistently put out quality work by ACTUALLY consistently putting out quality work that finds a small but dedicated audience.

She's doing work on an ashcan (pencils and inks) currently, and I know she's been trying to get a webcomic version of one of her and our group of friends' D&D games off the ground.

Unfortunately for your friend, an ashcan and webcomic don't speak as loudly as a published comic. Independent creators like Jonathan Hickman, Nick Spencer, Jeff Lemire, and Nathan Edmondson were offered work by the Big 2 because they got published and got noticed. And with the business model that Dan was talking about, it's pretty much the only way to have a chance that Marvel and DC will notice.

I know the ashcan she said she was doing was for a self-published, and when she talked to Willingham for the portfolio review, he said that should be enough to get her the rest of the way in the door. Basically, all that's preventing them from hiring her is finished work.

DC Comics has revised/added to their New 52 FAQ to comic book retailers [click for the original version], adding a few tidbits of new information in regards to the reboot/relaunch initiative, now just a little over 3 weeks away.

Of particular interest to Bat-fans might be the following little new tidbit of explanation regarding the number of former and current Robins in the DCnU, in context to the ‘5-year age of superheroes’ timeline of the new DC Universe.

NEW: If super-heroes have only existed for five years, how has Batman gone through so many Robins?

Robin is an intern program -and a very intensive one at that.

UPDATED/REVISED: What are your plans to increase the number of female creators working on the DC Comics line?

The DCE Co-Publishers recently published a blog post on this topic, in which they announced: "We'll have exciting news about new projects with women creators in the coming months and will be making those announcements closer to publication. We know there are dozens of other women creators and we welcome the opportunity to work with them."

NEW: What steps are you taking to keep The New 52 to an on-time release schedule?

We are stressing to all our creators that timely delivery is important. We are serious about our dates and we will take steps to ensure our books meet their deadlines even if a creator misses his or her deadline.

NEW: The release schedule for The New 52 appears set at 13 titles per week on a four week month. What are DC's release plans for months with five Wednesdays?

Our plan for five week months is to maintain The New 52 at 13 titles per week for each of the first four weeks of the month, and schedule some of our other DC Comics and Vertigo titles in the fifth week. Our goal is to have each of The New 52 go on sale the same week of the month each and every month.

NEW: Will we be able to have a midnight sale for any of the four release weeks in September?

We're offering the midnight sale option exclusively for the 8/31 on-sale of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 and FLASHPOINT #5.

NEW: Is FLASHPOINT #5 important to The New 52?

Yes. FLASHPOINT #5 includes two story pages that reveal how we go from the world of Flashpoint to The New 52.

UPDATED/REVISED: Which of The New 52 titles are not $2.99?

Four of The New 52 are 40-page comics at $3.99 with additional pages of content. They are:

* JUSTICE LEAGUE - 24 story pages in #1 with 4 design or extra content pages. 22 story pages starting with #2 with 6 design or extra content pages.

* ACTION COMICS - 29 story pages in #1. 28 story pages starting with #2

* ALL STAR WESTERN - 28 story pages.

* MEN OF WAR - 28 story pages.

Source

NEW: If super-heroes have only existed for five years, how has Batman gone through so many Robins?

Robin is an intern program -and a very intensive one at that.

People keep getting hung up on this, when the answer has been said before: though superheroes have only been public for five years, Batman has been working in the shadows for much longer. (That's not directed at you, Austen. It simply bothers me that DC, instead of pushing the information that's been out there for a while now, continues to coddle fanboy overreactions and willful blindness.)

Anyway, as for the idea that Robin is an internship of sorts, it's an interesting take on the Robin tradition. I'll have to see how they handle it before I comment further.

So I've decided to give a few of these things a try. I'm mainly getting books with characters that I liked before so that I can bitch and moan when they aren't the same, but I am going to try JLI (Booster and Guy), Teen Titans (the whole team), all the GL books except Red Lanterns, and the Justice League book for the first two months when it is on time. I was thinking about trying Legion Lost, but I am not confident in being able to read that without knowing anything about the Legion.

Also, I just checked, Batman Inc has at least three issues coming out in the next three weeks to wrap up in time for the DCnU to start, that's going to cause problems.

The latter two are being combined into a one-shot to be released at a later date.

Ah alright. I wish DC would update their site information, or post that on the source blog.

Anyway, as for the idea that Robin is an internship of sorts, it's an interesting take on the Robin tradition. I'll have to see how they handle it before I comment further.

That was an on-the-spot joke made at one of DC's SDCC panels. Apparently it's being used as an official line now, but from what was said at the panel it's not as though they're reinventing the concept of what Robin is.

That was an on-the-spot joke made at one of DC's SDCC panels. Apparently it's being used as an official line now, but from what was said at the panel it's not as though they're reinventing the concept of what Robin is.

Damn, 'cause I could really get behind that idea.