DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Robin didn't really get an ending, it just felt like the next step on Tims career as a hero, Detective felt like a conclusion to Snyder's run, Secret Six was terrible. So that's one out of three that have had a proper "Definitive" conclusion for me.

I read Detective and Batgirl, which were both great. I've heard nothing but great stuff about Secret Six, though, so that's weird.

I've read Secret Six so far. My personal opinion of it is that it reads like Simone was told at the end of the previous arc that they were canceling Secret Six. She tried to put together a conclusion

but then decided to go for the Wild Bunch ending. I'm interpreting as it just being the characters going out how they lived but, more than that really, it kinda felt like Simone was getting her toys taken away so she decided to burn them instead. Considering half the six were her creations and at least one of them, not counting Bane, is going to be back after the reboot.

I've read Secret Six so far. My personal opinion of it is that it reads like Simone was told at the end of the previous arc that they were canceling Secret Six. She tried to put together a conclusion

but then decided to go for the Wild Bunch ending. I'm interpreting as it just being the characters going out how they lived but, more than that really, it kinda felt like Simone was getting her toys taken away so she decided to burn them instead. Considering half the six were her creations and at least one of them, not counting Bane, is going to be back after the reboot.

That toy burning analogy is the best description of what happened with the book that I've read, it's on the money.

The music is bland and the trailer tells me nothing. As far as potential new readers go, they'll look at this and think, "Yeah, so?" Where's the tagline about this being a new, fresh universe. About being able to come in without worrying about continuity? All it says is "52 all-new #1 comic books," as if this is the speculator-filled 1990s, where people flocked to the shops to horde all those "collector item first issues."

...as if this is the speculator-filled 1990s...

That is my single biggest issue with this whole thing. They're approaching everything - hype, artwork, etc. - as if 1992 is back and it's better than ever. I'm not seeing nearly as many fresh ideas as I want.

I don't think that commercial is aimed at informing potential new readers about the continuity approach of the New 52; it's just there to say "Hey, look! Comics! They exist, and are cool! You should go buy them."

It might not inform very well, but it builds awareness, which, at this point, is probably the most important thing. It's not as though the 99.99999% of people out there aren't reading comics because they've all tried but got confused by the continuity; it's because comics live in a bubble world and a lot of people outside that bubble still don't necessarily know that comics are anything special. The motion art in the commercial at least makes the comics look dynamic and interesting. It might be just flash-bang-boom nonsense, but it's certainly better than if they tried to shove their entire marketing shpeal about continuity, digital distribution, and modernization down your throat in less than 30 seconds. And it does build awareness of the 52 event and DC Comics in general for the non-comic reader public.

But the entire point of the reboot is to make potential / lapsed readers know of the clean slate, so this, which is aimed at them, should mention that. I mean, it's nearly two minutes long. How hard would it have been to record 20-30 seconds of narration? Something like: "DC Comics proudly presents your favorite characters for the first time! Beginning this September, experience a fresh take on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and more as we launch fifty-two brand new comic books! Experience the excitement at this fine store [show the store address]."

I wish they'd done this shortly after Final Crisis. Maybe given 6 months for the wrap up and to establish Bruce's death and Dick taking over. Then they could reboot, the implication being that that even was in the end so world shaking that nothing could ever go back to the way it was. Instead the universe sort of limped on resulting in not a lot of good comics. Flashpoint feels like a pretty weak starting point for a new universe.

I don't think DC necessarily needs to advertise the continuity-free nature of the 52 as much to the masses. Yeah, it would have been good for them to make a point out of it here, but at the same time, it's probably more important that they just get people to actually pick up the books, then have the new continuity speak for itself.

The non-comic reader masses generally aren't aware of the the continuity issue (outside of the issue # on the front covers, which is mentioned); it only becomes a problem once they've picked up a book but can't get into it. Casual geeks who are already aware of the continuity are also probably the same audience that DC is reaching through means other than that commercial.

This extended version has enough time for narration, yeah (and probably should have had it), but it's just an extended version of the primary commercial, which is only 30 seconds.

It might be mindless cool imagery, but it's certainly no worse than the commercials for every live-action superhero movie out there.

I wish they'd done this shortly after Final Crisis. Maybe given 6 months for the wrap up and to establish Bruce's death and Dick taking over. Then they could reboot, the implication being that that even was in the end so world shaking that nothing could ever go back to the way it was. Instead the universe sort of limped on resulting in not a lot of good comics. Flashpoint feels like a pretty weak starting point for a new universe.

Yeah, cause you'd sort of expect an event called Final Crisis, to be the actual fucking end to something.

Flashpoint hasn't necessarily been bad, it just hasn't done anything to justify storywise, why the DC Universe is being rebooted.