DC reboot

dc20willsave

I read CBR's write-up of the Grant Morrison panel. Outside of having a few actual quotes and a few missed odds and ends, it had this gem:

The questions turned back to Morrison's comic book work as an audience member pointed out that many of his "X-Men" changes had been phased out by Marvel and asked what one aspect of his comics Morrison would make un-ret-con-able if he could.

"That's a weird question," said Morrison as the audience laughed. However, Morrison replied that if he could he would not let anyone split up Animal Man's marriage.

"Its often a tendency when people ret-con characters to take the cheapest shot for drama and split up happy marriages," said Morrison, adding, "Don't let anyone split up Animal Man's marriage!"

Sounds like a bit of a dig back at DC.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did anyone else get that free "New 52!" sampler? It contains the first few pages of Justice League and then solicits for the books coming in September, and some with a sentence from the creator of the book.

I'm not going to bother with Batman now, the preview art has really put me off of the book. Detective was great because Snyder had two great artists to work with in FF and Jock. Tony Daniel is a great artist, but a terrible writer, so I'm avoiding Detective like the plague.

I'm going to give Action a trade look, and wait for responses from others. Justice League will get a storyline from me, then likely trades. Batwoman looks nice, and will make a nice trade to read.

Green Lantern I'm sticking with, Corps and New Guardians I'll wait and see.

Aquaman is a possible trade waiter as well.

Teen Titans I'll give a storyline to, because I like Tim Drake.

Superman: Are you a team Superman or a team Jonathan? I'm neither, I don't really care.

Gail Simone has burned me so much recently that Firestorm can piss off, and Batgirl, I'll wait and see what others think.

The rest, I'm going to wait to hear what the general consensus is before I put money down for the books.

Issues for first storyline at moment:

Green Lantern

Justice League

Teen Titans

Trades

Action Comics

Aquaman

Batwoman

So, DC right now, out of 52 titles has got me buying 3 books. All of which are for first storyline only. That's good for me, money wise, but damn sure bad for DC.

Some interesting stuff there, but I'm still waiting for trades before getting into any of it.

Superman looks like a tool with that belt. I didn't mind ditching the underpants for Batman, in fact I favoured the new look. Superman however looks much wronger because it disrupts his primary colours deal. Much less likely to see geeks arguing for Superman's underpants than we are to see them argue against Wonder Woman's trousers though.

What does Marvel have planned to counteract DC's September relaunch? "We're just doing what we do," Quesada said. "You can't be reactionary. We have our plans. Eventually, we'll win the roost again. It's just going to happen. We do kick ass, and we kick their ass all the time. There's a reason they're doing 52 #1 issues. And what do you think that reason is? They need to win a month. They need to. And I wish them luck, because we need new readers in the stores. If that happens, it's a win-win for everybody."

I know I shouldn't, but I loved the pure arrogance in this quote. Things like that ALWAYS come back to but someone in the ass.

What does Marvel have planned to counteract DC's September relaunch? "We're just doing what we do," Quesada said. "You can't be reactionary. We have our plans. Eventually, we'll win the roost again. It's just going to happen. We do kick ass, and we kick their ass all the time. There's a reason they're doing 52 #1 issues. And what do you think that reason is? They need to win a month. They need to. And I wish them luck, because we need new readers in the stores. If that happens, it's a win-win for everybody."

I know I shouldn't, but I loved the pure arrogance in this quote. Things like that ALWAYS come back to but someone in the ass.

It's not exactly Bischoff WCW arrogance though. He's not saying he doesn't check the rating because kicking their ass is getting dull, Quesada showed some restraint and concern for the industry at large which still putting over his stuff as the market leader. That's what you'd expect from a top executive.