DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To make things even more confusing, Earth-Two will exist post-reboot.

Let us get settled on one Earth and one new continuity before throwing another at us DC. Please. Seriously, I don't want to see any reality-altering / alternate reality stories for at least three years. But nope. Earth-Two.

I'm actually OK with them having earth 2, it decompresses their initial lineup so that some books can take place in a world less crowded by heroes. I am wondering if it will be a traditional earth-2 with a JSA and an elder Batman or some new form though.

Well, there's the pre-Crisis Earth-Two, which is where the Golden Age stories took place. And there's the post-52 Earth-2, which is sorta like Earth-Two. We'll have to wait and see which Earth-Two / -2 this is.

With the news that James Robinson and Nicola Scott are working on a JSA comic, I'm thinking that will be set during World War II and on Earth-Two / -2.

I just read it too.

I dug it. Lots of fun. It's pretty much just the "Green Lantern and Batman meet" issue, but it's a good first chapter.

It was good, but nothing special.

I think this will read a lot better in a trade than single issues, as at the moment it did just feel like "Hey...don't I know you? Who am I? Well am..." it had some nice moments, but it just sort of felt lacking in something to me.

Was nice to see them set some stuff up though.

Yeah, I think one of Johns' faults is that he writes for the trade so much that reading issue-by-issue can be slow going. But this was decent enough fun. Could have used a little more smart and less crash-bang-boom, but then again it'll probably be a lot better once collected with the rest of the arc.

Okay I just read JL twice. One from the perspective I have as a comic fan for for a decade and a half, and another from the supposed mindset of a newcomer.

On first reading, it wasn't anything special. Art is gorgeous, but the writing doesn't go beyond exagerrated character tropes which Geoff Johns is mostly about whwn he writes the characters. I've never liked his Batman because he always portrays him as a tool and while this isn't as bad as it has been in past Johns stories, it wasn't welcome to me. Batman can be standoffish, but when he's actively insulting other people for the reasons of bigging himself up, then it's out of character. Batman doesn't need to tear people down with insults, he knows he's a badass and he won't spend any time and energy on it. Why would he need to?

Hal was also flanderized to being a cocky, arrogant beat cop. It was exactly grating, but it stuck out for me.

I'm wondering how the Teen Titans history is now if Cyborg is going to be in the Justice League, especially since Dick's history is supposedly unchanged. That's the inherent problem with this relaunch however, you cannot just simply say Batman's history is unchanged. By the very nature of changing other people's histories, you change his. It's a ripple effect.

Not looking forward to the Supes/Bats brawl that's coming in the next issue because Jesus Christ is it old by now. We get it, you like Dark Knight Returns. We get it, Superman and Batman are opposite. I understand that this is the two of them first meeting each other, but it's a cliche by this point in fiction to have any hero fight one another before teaming up. Marvel Comics whored that trope out years ago; it was old by the mid 70s.

Now looking at this from the assumed "new reader's" perspective, I suppose it would have been alright. Starting with just Batman, Green Lantern and Superman is a good idea since those three are in the public mindset right now the most. This did do a decent job of expositing the status quo without going overboard, which is a credit to Geoff Johns to be sure. The ending with Superman was a nice hook, and I would really be interested to know what new readers think about this.

If I were to rank this as I am now, a hardcore fan, I'd give it a straight 2.5/5-3/5. Nothing special at all. As a "new reader", possibly a 4/5 but again I'd be guessing.

to say I'm a new reader isn't a stretch. i havent read much in the way of comics only getting into them recently, but i have read a bit of the fun stuff. as a fresh eye on something like the justice league i have to say it was an enjoyable read. i read it through on my phone, in one read, and it was a fun ride but ultimately in the end it felt like it was missing something that you cant put your finger on. all in all i'd have to agree with donomark it would probably get something between a 3.5 and a 4.

Although the art for JL #1 was gorgeous, I couldn't help feeling like something was a bit off. Like the characters were all posing to be future DC Direct statues, instead of actually being IN the story. Did anyone else feel like that?

As for the story, I guess I liked it enough, even though it felt like nothing happened. But I really don't like the attitudes that Hal and Bruce seemed to have. Hal, especially, came off like a total dick.

Wait...hold on...

The first thing Superman does is punch Green Lantern and the first thing he says is "So...what can you do?" Are you kidding me? Now, I understand that this is set in the past and Action Comics is chronicling Superman's early days, so they'll be showing a journey to the Superman of today. I get that. But still, this is the first book of DC's relaunch and, DC should be hoping, the first DC book for a lot of new readers. And this is how they introduce the greatest superhero of them all? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Wait...hold on...

The first thing Superman does is punch Green Lantern and the first thing he says is "So...what can you do?" Are you kidding me? Now, I understand that this is set in the past and Action Comics is chronicling Superman's early days, so they'll be showing a journey to the Superman of today. I get that. But still, this is the first book of DC's relaunch and, DC should be hoping, the first DC book for a lot of new readers. And this is how they introduce the greatest superhero of them all? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

To be fair, Superman doesn't know that Batman and Green Lantern aren't villains, so he's going to treat like them like they are rogues, and take them down. At this point he's got to be getting a good rogues gallery, so he's expecting costume villains to take down the "Alien from Metropolis" which is what he probably thinks GL and Batman are.

That's how I'm interpreting it.

Knowing DC, he'll be mind controlled by Darkseid right now.