dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hugely famous Nazi propaganda film.

Oh. I see. Maybe this was just a coincidence, what with the problems in the GLC recently and using their will to overcome some issues that they will be facing.

So, it looks like this will be another one of those speculator books that will go on eBay where people will try, and probably succeed at selling the issues at around three times the cover price.

Just read Mr. Terrific.

It's times like this where I'm seriously like why do I even fucking try...

I've not read Eric Wallace's work before, but I wouldn't have pegged him as a black author unless someone told me. Actually that's exactly what happened.

Okay, the three lines of dialogue referencing race in the issue completely took me out of the story and left a bad taste in my mouth. For those who haven't read yet, Mr. Terrific is in London at the beginning saving people. When the people thank him, he spouts off that he's the third smartest man in the world. When asked who's numbers 2 and 1, and responds by saying "Actually, a simple 'Thanks black guy for saving us from a homicidal lunatic with weaponized body armor.' will do."

Two things about this, 1) ONE OF THE PEOPLE HE'S TALKING TO IS BLACK. Probably british, but black nonetheless.

2) For a hero who just saved London and is one of the most brilliant people on the planet to fall back on racial tension after the immediate crisis is over with puts a horrible taste in my mouth. Especially since it's freaking London. It makes him come off as incredibly sensitive, and immediately cutting towards people of the whole world, let alone the planet. He's been in the Justice Society and has no doubt saved the world a few times. Is he really going to get talk like this? I'd expect lines like this more from characters like Hardware or even John Stewart before hearing it from a guy with Terrific's type of clout.

The second scene was between Power Girl (SPOILERS!) and Michael Holt's co-worker Aleeka during a party. Aleeka had been staring at Karen the entire time as she was Michael's date for the event. Karen assumes at first that Aleeka is jealous of Karen, and after Aleeka denies that Karen responds (steely eyes, the focus of the btw) with "I get it. It's because I'm a white girl isn't it?"

Okay, again. WTH wrote this? I'm assuming that enough of the clientele here at Earth-2.net can confirm or deny better than I can, but speaking from my own personal interactions with white women in addition to reading the Palmiotti/Connors run of Pwer Girl. WHITE WOMEN DON'T TALK LIKE THAT. At least not regularly, if the're from Karen's social circle of rich people. It came off like Karen felt just as sensitive as Michael did in the beginning, immediately anticipating racial backlash from whomever she was conversing with.

This is not good writing, and it's a shame because I was digging the main plot just fine. Overall it read like a solid comic book, but the racial tension throughout the issue felt extremely forced and unnatural. This was done so much better in Icon, Static, and even Hardeware-the latter which I couldn't stand. Dwayne McDuffie this guy ain't.

It's Rich, so it might not be totally accurate, but I do buy that some books are already set to be axed.

Grifter and Mister Terrific are ass, and will be canceled by their sixth issues. Batgirl has major problems which could be fixed with a new creative team, however, the Simone zombies will leave in droves if she's booted. Detective Comics needs a new team, too. (Let Scott Snyder write both Batman books. Given them some cohesion.) JT Krul has already left the boring Green Arrow, and Dan Jurgens needs to go with him. (How do you make a de-aged character feel young with dated art?) And, I hate to say it, but Stormwatch needs a kick in the ass.

Batgirl would be really good if Simone wrote it in the more upbeat and fun style she used for Wonder Woman, rather than going so dark and dramatic with it.

Really happy about Green Arrow getting a new writer, and totally agree about the art.

Mr. Terrific is just beyond lame.

Stormwatch, I think, just needed a more cinematic and less-crammed first issue.

Seems to me DC's already shot themselves in the foot with this. 3 art teams in four issues on Mr. Terrific? Writers being canned?

Also, Krul saying he's "concentrating on Captain Atom" is bullshit. No one's ever said that. He was canned. Watch him get canned from CA soon too.

I'm not picking up anything beyond what I already was (the GL books). I'm dropping Stormwatch after issue two and have never ordered Action. I may not be getting Batman Inc. I have ordered the Dark #1s solely to cover them on the show.

This has been handled so poorly by management. They don't have the balls to admit that this whole reboot is because JLA was a piece of shit. It's a stunt and it kind of sickens me.