DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there's one thing that proves this whole reboot was a last minute decision, and that most creators were kept in the dark, it's these appearances by the purple woman. What I mean is, had the creators known about the events of Flashpoint #5, the reboot, and the importance of this mysterious woman, they would have added her to the books themselves. If you notice, except for maybe once or twice, her appearances are not drawn by the series artists. That right there tells you the writer didn't know to script something lile, "Also, in the background draw the Scarlet Witch purple woman."

What this also possibly means (and here's where I, as a consumer, get upset) is that DC will force a companywide crossover centering on this woman down our throats, one the creative teams didn't factor into their long-term plots. Meaning storylines will be interrupted, rushed, and / or aborted to push some sort of clusterfuck of an event on us.

Granted, that last part is speculation. But the first part, not so much. Inked, black and white artwork shows that she was not inserted into books until the coloring stages.

And half the time she's just in a random scene. I'm sure most of the writer's would have inserted her in a crowd or someplace where something significant is happening, not in the background behind random thug #17.

I dunno, some parts of the reboot work but, overall, I'm still asking why and how long until the numbers plummet and DC decides to change everything back with minor tweaks. It's all corporate bullshit. There's always something you got to change to sell more and you can't admit to making the clusterfuck, you just have to push on with it and pretend people care until you can't stop ignoring the problem then you say it's all back by popular demand or some other bullshit. Some of these series will be canceled by the end of the first storyarch and no one should be surprised when it happens. Really, my gripes all come back to this: why did you have to rush this? Going back to Crisis, that was two years worth of lead-up to the reboot plus however long they had it in the planning phases.This entire thing would have been so much better if they hadn't started planning it a year ago. Yes, you have to prevent leaks but still, then maybe you wouldn't confuse everyone trying to figure out what is in continuity and what isn't. I still have no fucking clue what books I own still happened and which ones didn't. Post-Crisis, we got a good idea of the history of the universe because, outside of it being more of a soft reboot, it also gave all the creator's time to figure things out. There's no way in hell anyone outside of Jim Lee, Didio, and Johns knows what's going on and I doubt even they have a complete idea.

It's also a little confusing trying to figure out where books fit into the five-year timeline. We know Action Comics is set five years ago. However, Justice League #1 is set somewhere in the past, but after Superman becomes a more respected hero. So both are after Action Comics #1. However, Hal is Green Lantern in Justice League #1 but not in Green Lantern #1, so Green Lantern is more current than Justice League. Justice League International #1 features Guy as a Lantern and Batman as a more public hero, so that's most likely set now, too. Or it's certainly after the events of Justice League #1.

I could keep going, and we're barely halfway through the initial batch of books.

And clearly Batman & Robin is set as far ahead as any book in the lot because he's been batman long enough to be notable enough to draw the attention of International terrorist Ra's Al Ghul, sleep with his daughter and for that kid to A-gestate and B-live 12 years. So Batman's gotta have been on the job for at least 15 years at this point right?

So much for a reboot.

Preview line for New Guardians.

This is just my interpretation, but I think this is implying that Kyle Rayner is just becoming a Green Lantern now. If true, this sort of negates Sinestro Corps War, and some of Green Lantern: Rebirth.

I haven't read GLC yet, so I don't know if I'm right or not. And this is could just a flashback scene to show new readers how Kyle became a Green Lantern.

And clearly Batman & Robin is set as far ahead as any book in the lot because he's been batman long enough to be notable enough to draw the attention of International terrorist Ra's Al Ghul, sleep with his daughter and for that kid to A-gestate and B-live 12 years. So Batman's gotta have been on the job for at least 15 years at this point right?

So much for a reboot.

Isn't Damian artificially aged?

Even if he's not, they've said Batman has been on the scene for longer than the five-year window.

To be fair, Guillem March is known as more of a cheesecake artist, and it has been shown that Bruce and Selina have spent the night together several times, such as during the original Hush storyline, and Heart of Hush.

But yeah, actually showing her straddling Bruce, on panel, on a rooftop, in what is likely a sort of homage to that scene in Batman Returns where Selina digs a nail in Bruce, and saying they did it in costume, for some kinky sex game, yeah:

stay_classy.jpg

Edit:Bleeding Cool posted the lead up to that page.

I read the whole issue. Yeah, it was sort of an oversexed thrillride-type story, but it actually worked.

Hannah, how is it misogyny?

Starfire basically tells Roy that she's using him for emotionless sex, and Bruce gives in when Selina pounces on him.

If anything, I'd say that's closer to misandry, showing males to be sex playthings for women.

Because Catwoman has never been portrayed as wanting to bang Batman before?

And Starfire's not from an alien race that's known for extreme bluntness and immodesty?

If Supergirl starts sleeping around, we can start worrying about the sky falling. But when Catwoman and Starfire decide to bang somebody? Please. That's every other Tuesday.

Because Catwoman has never been portrayed as wanting to bang Batman before?

And Starfire's not from an alien race that's known for extreme bluntness and immodesty?

If Supergirl starts sleeping around, we can start worrying about the sky falling. But when Catwoman and Starfire decide to bang somebody? Please. That's every other Tuesday.

See, I don't think the woman of the DC Universe having sex really matters. It wouldn't be realistic if they didn't, especially women like Catwoman/Starfire/Knockout.

I do however draw the line at showing two characters at it, with Catwoman straddling Batman and riding him pn panel, in a comic. That just seems so out of place to me. I would not have a problem if they were shown kissing in one panel, and then clothes strewn all over the floor, as they lay in bed in the next, implying that they had sex, and not actually outright saying it. But showing them mid-performance, is just a bit much, and sort of comes across as some fan-fiction instead of work from a professional writer who's paid to write/draw about these famous characters.