DC reboot

dc20willsave

Has everyone seen this?

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/dan-didio-responds-fans-questions-t70478.html

So apparently...Renee Montoya was never the Question, there never was a Ted Kord, Ollie is in his mid 20s (SAME AS ROY), Young Justice has to be OOC now that Tim is meeting Superboy, Bart and Cassie for the first time I'm guessing, New Krypton is out of continuity, as is Zero Hour.

I want to remain excited for this reboot, but this is seriously gutting me. It's so disingenuous, so stupid. It's like Didio sniper-shot every fun and positive thing from the 90s.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has everyone seen this?

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/dan-didio-responds-fans-questions-t70478.html

So apparently...Renee Montoya was never the Question, there never was a Ted Kord, Ollie is in his mid 20s (SAME AS ROY), Young Justice has to be OOC now that Tim is meeting Superboy, Bart and Cassie for the first time I'm guessing, New Krypton is out of continuity, as is Zero Hour.

I want to remain excited for this reboot, but this is seriously gutting me. It's so disingenuous, so stupid. It's like Didio sniper-shot every fun and positive thing from the 90s.

Originally Posted by Dan DiDio on how "Death of Superman" fits in continuity now

"We are keeping the "spirit of the story" in place. Superman died, and got better. But the events and people around it have changed including the fact that the Reign of Superman did not replace him in death but were inspired by it."

Fuck you, Dan DiDio. This is such a clusterfuck. Picking and choosing from the landmark events in the DCU - and making them all happen in five fucking years - makes me more livid with each reveal.

You know, I can't really get behind this reboot, in the sense that it just feels like DC's attempt at the Ultimate Universe. they are picking and choosing which stories matter, and what stories mean jack shit now.

Does this mean those stories weren't/aren't great? Of course not. Continuity is just something fun for long term fans. It's like a soap opera, long term fans are rewarded with character development, and progression, and newer fans get to watch something they can enjoy, without feeling like they are caught up in some bigger situation that they will never understand.

DC should just have the balls to just say "You know what? Barry is just as bad as the man he once beat. The Anti-Monitor. The Anti-monitor successfully destroyed the DC Universe as we once knew it, and that's just what Barry did due to his selfish actions, and now we have to try and redeem him, and at the same time, show that this new DC Universe, isn't so bad, it's just different."

DC should just have the balls to just say "You know what? Barry is just as bad as the man he once beat. The Anti-Monitor. The Anti-monitor successfully destroyed the DC Universe as we once knew it, and that's just what Barry did due to his selfish actions, and now we have to try and redeem him, and at the same time, show that this new DC Universe, isn't so bad, it's just different."

:yes:

Just read Action and Batgirl.

Batgirl was decent-ish.

Focused a lot on Barbara getting back into the costume and getting over her trauma, having been shot and stripped naked by the Joker a few years back. I kind of wish it had been able to just jump into the fun action and not gone so psychologically serious the first issue out.

Action was AMAZING. I mean, holy hell. It's the Golden Age Superman being a badass in modern times. That same kind of two-fisted justice-for-all attitude. Totally loved it the whole way through. If this is going to be the inspiration for future Superman stories, I can totally dig it.

And it definitely helps Superman's somewhat aggressive introduction at the end of Justice League make a lot more sense.

Action was AMAZING. I mean, holy hell. It's the Golden Age Superman being a badass in modern times. That same kind of two-fisted justice-for-all attitude. Totally loved it the whole way through. If this is going to be the inspiration for future Superman stories, I can totally dig it.

And it definitely helps Superman's somewhat aggressive introduction at the end of Justice League make a lot more sense.

I thought it was a great first issue. The status quos for both Superman and Clark were established, with a hefty dose of action. And even though he only appeared for a couple pages, I love whenever Morrison writes Lex Luthor. Great art by Rags Morales too.

I also read Animal Man and Stormwatch. Storywise, Animal Man was my favorite of the three I read. Jeff Lemire understands what makes Buddy Baker who he is and perfectly captures him and his family. A dream sequence and the ending take Animal Man in a horror direction, which is intriguing. The reason it isn't my favorite issue overall is because of Travel Foreman's art. I liked it when Animal Man accesses his powers and in the dream sequence, but I wasn't impressed by the real world sequences. Hopefully it will grow on me.

As for Stormwatch, it was a title I was really looking forward too and was disappointed. I think the main problem was that it tried to cover the entire cast in twenty pages, resulting in not much depth in characters or story. It really should have taken the route Justice League took, introducing several characters each issue to explore them naturally. Since the comic is written by Paul Cornell, I'm sticking with it, but I really wanted to love it from the start.

You know why I like Rob Liefeld as a person? 'Cause he takes his critics in stride.

Of Hawk & Dove #1, Ken Tucker of EW.com wrote:

Mostly an excuse for artist Rob Liefeld to draw even sleeker, more hollow-cheeked, slightly more manga-ized versions of the hero duo he sculpted in the 1980s. Writer Sterling Gates is around to simply re-tell the (latterday) origin story. As such, it lives up to DC’s promise to get you started if you don’t know Hawk and Dove from Wolverine and Kitty Pryde, but not much more. C+

In response, Liefeld tweeted:

Thanks for the C+ @kentucker coulda been worse. Enjoy your work btw.

That's a classy dude.

DC seems obsessed with losing clean slick superhero costumes. Somehow Batman of all people has avoided it so far which is odd considering it's probably his movies inspiring all this, but Batgirl, Flash, Superman, they're messing with simple primary aspect outfits. Expect a lot of these outfit updates to include meaningless little extras on outfits like special boots or belts or whatever.

It's not that I don't appreciate complex character design, one of my favourite outfits of all time is Azreal, but it feels wrong when applying it to these classic characters.

LOVED Actions Comics. Now THIS was what should've come out last week. After reading JL#1 and Batgirl #1, things were looking grim. But this comic was so much fun and had great energy, it appeal to readers new and old alike. The whole reading experience was like one big "HELL YEAH!"

Batgirl stank. This comic needed to justify why Babs was in the costume and it failed. The art was pretty to look at, but we have questionable dialogue with Babs trying to scare crooks, and Babs nearly wetting herself over fear of the Killing Joke incident which she has been well past in her life. She's faced the Joker twice since she was shot, but no. This issue has her basically saying "My life was worthless when I wasn't Batgirl!" What a fucking load.

Detective was surprisingly decent. After reading the preview with Batman's "I own the night." line of dialogue, I figured it would be more Tony Daniel mediocrity. But it was solid. It was a straightup Batman tale with the Joker, not much else you can ask for. The ending sickened me however, I thought that was WAAAAYYYYY too violent, even in this modern era.

Batgirl stank. This comic needed to justify why Babs was in the costume and it failed. The art was pretty to look at, but we have questionable dialogue with Babs trying to scare crooks, and Babs nearly wetting herself over fear of the Killing Joke incident which she has been well past in her life. She's faced the Joker twice since she was shot, but no. This issue has her basically saying "My life was worthless when I wasn't Batgirl!" What a fucking load.

Pretty much totally agree. I fucking HATED this issue. Won't be reading more.

The other ones I read were JLI #1 and Animal Man #1 because of all the hype. JLI left a lot of questions for me, and I'm wondering how much of Booster's story was left from the old universe, because Batman seemed to be trying to get people to take Booster seriously and trust him. I wasn't a fan of the art, however.

Didn't like Animal Man either, honestly. Too gruesome for me. I don't have any desire to read horror comics.

I think Barbara's time as Oracle isn't entirely there anymore. She was paralyzed for three years, but it's not confirmed that she's ever faced the Joker again since then.

Though, yeah, it spent way too much time dealing with Barbara dealing with her issues. I didn't hate the book or anything, but it was underwhelming. I've heard a few people praising the book for its focus on the psychological realism of being a home invasion/paralysis victim, but I just would rather have the book get to the fun stuff.

ok so can any on tell me whats going on with the cloaked woman? i just saw her in batgirl one in thereflection of the window at the end and i just wanna know if she's signifigant or not

Supposed to be the woman from Flashpoint #5. She will be in every new #1 issue this month. Just saw her in Static Shock.

Static Shock by the way was alright. There's a few questions I have which hopefully will be explained in the future, such as why the Hawkins moved and what's the business about Virgil being in Juvie, but the ending made me go "WOAH!"