X-Men: Days of Future Past

Koete

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It was good. The action was pure comic book X-men, and honestly it's the film that makes me forget the horrible continuity of the series because it tries so damn hard to reconcile everything.

Highlights-

-Quicksilver. Dude is the best mutant they've introduced since forever, really entertaining.

-Future fights with Blink. Added a real extra element not seen since Nightcrawler, she's a walking Portal game.

-Character consistency. Wolvie, Magneto, Xavier, they all act like they should, and with the depth of the recurring cast you finally have anchorage for the larger drama of this story.

-Naked Jennifer Lawrence. If that appeals you won't be short changed.

I'm not going to cry better than X2 but it's better than the rest.

I'm still processing everything after seeing it last night, but the ending made it all worth it. The movie is a dark, dour, particularly violent piece of work, but it keeps the sincerity of the original two Singer films. It's by FAR AND AWAY better than the worst of X-men 3 and X-Men Origins Wolverine, and more engaging than First class simply for the fact that we have Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen back in their classic roles pumping up the story. I still love the first two X-Men films over all of them, but this might be in the top three. IDK...I might have to see it again.

I enjoyed the film. It was very engaging and was never boring. Really, once again, this is a movie about the Xavier/Magneto relationship. Everything else is window dressing but it's really good window dressing. My favorite fight sequences were the future ones with Blink. Someone obviously played Portal when they came up with all that. For that matter, everything with Quicksilver is so cool. The ball is now in Whedon's court to do something as awesome as the kitchen scene with him.

As a note, I really can't wait to see the DVD on this one. Considering the amount of cut footage, could make for an interesting seeing. The film is tightly edited so it'll really be interesting to see how they chose what to cut.

There is a major hole in continuity here. It is heavily implied that Mystique is taken after assassinating Trask. That kinda means that, despite Logan having flashbacks to the original movies, they are still out not in continuity with this one simply down to the fact that Mystique is a character in those films. That is unless there's a second Mystique running around out there. The only way it works is if Mystique got her powers back after X-Men The Last Stand and then got captured... again.

A final note: I kinda missed that Havok was just kinda there for the one scene. I actually am kinda thinking that instead of being Scott's Brother, he's going to end up being his father. Also, during Xavier's first time using Cerebro, you get a ton of screaming, etc. One thing I noticed out of the ordinary was a little girl asking, "Who are you?" Young Jean perhaps?

Unless I'm mistaken, it was never actually said that Mystique *lost* her powers when she was experimented on, or that she died. They did want to keep her alive, after all. So maybe in the original timeline she survived and escaped, but they still got enough of her DNA to eventually use in the Sentinels 50 years down the road.

But that said, there are still some inconsistencies. Wolverine was taken in by Stryker in Vietnam in X-Men Origins, but here Stryker is younger and none of that seems to have taken place yet. And although it's possible that Magneto went back to the X-mansion and helped Charles build Cerebro between FC and DOFP, it seems unlikely. So the whole deal in X1 and X2 of Magneto having helped build Cerebro doesn't make sense.

But ultimately, what makes that not matter so much is that DOFP feels respectful of X1 and X2, even if some of the minor facts aren't straight. Also, because of the timeline altering, now it doesn't really matter so much.

Yeah, but he also died in the original timeline, so who knows what really happened for sure.

Of course, the thing is that by saying time travel exists and that a lot has happened in-between all the gaps in history (from FC to DOFP and from The Wolverine to DOFP's future) there's tons of room for other anomalies in the timeline that we don't know about.

There are a buttload of continuity questions stemming from the end of this movie.

-Logan and Rogue are at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, and with the time-skip between the now OOC X-3 and the Good DOFP ending, they are now teachers. So somehow X-1 occurred in some capacity.

But did the events still occur? Rogue still had her shade of white hair, did McAvoy skip that when he read Wolvy's mind?

-Did Wolverine ever go to Alkali Lake and gain his adamantium? In fact, what happened with Wolverine of the past? Did he lose his memories when he was fished out of the water? Did he end up back with Victor Creed and end up with Stryker anyway? Would that be something McAvoy Xavier would help him avoid? Hell, why didn't McAvoy Xavier and Beast look for him?

-Has Mystique now split from Magneto permanently? If at least X1 occurred the same, was she not present? Does that mean Senator Kelly is still alive? If so, is he leading the charge against mutants?

-If X2 is in question, are Stryker and Deathstryke still alive?

-And did Xavier ever seek to find Nightcrawler? I suppose his storyline was separate from the continuity stuff, so he could still have tried to assassinate the president, forcing Jean and Storm to go find him. If THAT'S the case, would he be potentially living at Xavier's school?

-Rogue was shown with Iceman at the end in the new future. Does she know how to control her powers? Because that was a major point of contention between the two of them which lead to Bobby being attracted to Kitty, but we see Kitty with Colossus at the end. So was that prevented?

-Is Pyro still at Xavier's, or does he end up with Magneto anyway?

This is all off the top of my head. Of course it's a movie and none of these NEED to be explained in great detail, but I am having fun trying to dissect all of the changes.

Okay, so, below are my continuity questions, as this movie brings up a lot of them. Review beyond that in a bit:

Okay, so, gonna take this on a movie by movie basis.

Continuity issues between First Class and DOFP:
-When did Erik return to the Mansion to help Charles build Cerebro?
-What happened to Mystique in the eleven (hell, even seven) year gap between FC and DOFP to get her to where she was?
Continuity issues between FC/DOFP past continuity and the original X trilogy:
-By the continuity that DOFP establishes, Mystique shouldn't be alive for any of the original trilogy; she is taken by Trask in the 70s, and unless she somehow manages to escape for the events of the X Movies, she is dead.
-DOFP continuity also establishes that by the time the original trilogy takes place, the Sentinels should be ravaging everyone. Unless Trask was somehow working after X3, DOFP's past continuity doesn't make sense, at all
-You'd think they would've mentioned Erik being framed for assassinating JFK
Issues specifically between X3 and DOFP future:
-Again, unless they somehow fucked up the dates, Trask's Sentinels should be ravaging them all
-How the hell did the spare body that Charles was inhabiting get to that of Patrick Stewart again? Did he reparalyze himself?
_Again, Mystique is somehow still alive at the end of X3, which makes no sense given the DOFP continuity.
The only possible answer I can find is that the original trilogy is now the good outcome trilogy that spins out of hte fixed past in DOFP. That doesn't work, because we get X1/2 flashbacks in what Wolverine shows FC Charles. But even if that were the case that STILL creates issues.
-Mystique gets Logan at the end of DOFP, which effectively means Trask never gets his hands on him; does he have adamantium now or not?
-Jean and Scott are still alive, which means that at minimum, X3 didn't happen, and possibly that the end of X2 didn't happen either (or the entirety of it).
In conclusion, none of this makes any fucking sense.

Honestly, the more I think about it, more I think that some of the original trilogy still happened. Past Charles does have some knowledge of the future from Logan's head. Certain events (Scott and Jean's deaths spring to mind) can be prevented. Logan might have the metal claws or not. We'll find out next movie.

The only explanation at this point is that Mystique was kidnapped post-X3. There is a Trask in that movie, potentially furthering the family business. Who knows? It's a plot hole, pure and simple

We will probably never get a good explanation of new Chuck's appearance and legs.