Episode 650

RSS

Five years ago this month, Ian Wilson, James Deaux, and Michael David Sims began a journey named The Dark Knight Discussions. Their mission: Meticulously cover every Batman movie ever produced. Today, the trio finally reach their goal with The Dark Knight Rises. Prepare for dated references to all the things, Bane voices, a possible headdesk, and the shock of the ages: Ian Wilson reveals his true nationality! (Sorry for any audio glitches you may hear; Skype was not being helpful during this recording.) [ 6:00:32 || 173.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_650.mp3

Regarding the police stupidity in their chase turning from Bane and chums (a less successful Saturday morning site than Lothar and chums) there are two points if like to raise:

1) 'Harvey Dent Day' was very recent (a few days earlier at most) so the mysterious disappearance of Batman having allegedly killed their White Knight would be fresh in their memory.

2) These are peace time police who have proved themselves to not be as diligent as they once were, except for Blake: the wonder cop. After 8 years of not much to do after the Harvey Dent Act they'll be looking for political point scoring to prove themselves. Catching Batman is THE big fish.

But still...what a douche

Grand episode, sirs! I had a feeling this was going to be 650 in the past month or so and was very glad I was right. :) I went to bed rather late because after two hours of listening to it during the day, two hours listening to it at night hooked up to speakers by my pool I still NEEDED to finish it and I'm sure I'll listen loads more. I think the Batman 66 review is the one episode of any podcast I go back to most often which is quite a feat considering how many things I listen to and re-listen to after.

Now, I wonder will the Superman Film discussions continue? And if so will you ever go back to the skipped theatrical film Superman And the Mole Men (which is almost the Batman 66 of the Superman franchise)?

-Skyler

Talia wanted to kill her father herself, Bruce took that opportunity away from her, that's why she's annoyed at Bruce. That, and she also wanted to give her dad the middle finger, by doing what he never could, make Gotham's citizens destroy the city themselves, then take it one step further, rather than letting the city rise again, she was just going to blow it off the face of the earth.

Talia says when talking to Bruce near the start of the film, you have to invest if you want to restore balance to the world. So, the only way to fix a city as rotten as Gotham was, she would have to sacrifice herself, and Bane to make sure the world was a better place. Which, is what the league always wants, or so they claimed in Batman Begins.

Also, Bane was her big brother, that's how I took it, like she was an interpretation of his bear from the comics, someone for him to look after. There was nothing physical involved, in my view.

And, Bruce has been out of the public eye for several years, who's not to say he got married in his time away from the limelight, or it was an estranged wife from the other years he was no longer in Gotham. That's why the valet never questioned Selina's story.

Finally got through it. Great episode guys, I really enjoyed it. I don't love Dark Knight Rises, but it's decent entertainment. I would say that the only Batman film I outright hate is Batman & Robin, with that in mind here's my list :

The Dark Knight

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Batman Begins

Batman Returns

Batman '66

Batman '89

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

I think mine would go:

The Dark Knight

Batman Begins

BB: Return of the Joker

Mask of the Phantasm

Dark Knight Rises

Batman Forever

Batman 66

Batman 89

Batman Returns

Mystery of the Batwoman

Batman & Robin

Can't remember Sub Zero at all and I don't really consider World's Finest to be a movie.

I have two lists: Which Ones I think are the best and which ones I'm most likely to watch if the mood strikes me.

Best

The Dark Knight
Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Begins

Batman 66

Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman 89
Batman Returns
Batman & Robin

Mystery of the Batwoman

Likely to Watch

Batman 66

Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight

Batman Begins
Mask of the Phantasm

Batman Forever

Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns
Mystery of the Batwoman

Batman 89

It's only now occurred to me that I've seen every Batman movie aside from the 40s serials. Cool.

Mask of the Phantasm

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Batman: The Movie (1966)

Batman Begins

Batman Forever

The Dark Knight

Under The Red Hood

The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1

Year One

The Batman vs. Dracula

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero

Batman Returns

Batman (1989)

The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2

Batman & Robin

Mystery of the Batwoman

Batman: Gotham Knight

Those are my favorites from most to least, not judgments on best/worst.

I have the novelization for The Dark Knight Rises, so here's an excerpt.

"Maybe you do. But tomorrow that bomb's going off."

She felt the blood drain from her face-there was no reason to doubt him. If anyone was capable of nuking an entire city for his own twisted purposes, it was Bane. Suddenly, she saw her future going up in flames, but she tried not to let on how spooked she was.

"So? Get your 'powerful friend' on the case." Saving Gotham was Batman's job, not hers. She was just a thief, out to survive any way she could.

Hardcore Azrael fan right here! I do own most of his solo series and Sword of Azrael was the first Batman book I read.

Even so, I was not getting my hopes up that a series that Nolan was going to introduce a flaming sword-wielding cultist when he seemed so dead set against Robin, Batgirl and the rest of the Bat family.

• 2 weeks later...