Sign in to follow this  
SuaveStar

What are you watching and enjoying?

Dread   

Finished GLOW and am brutally sad that it's over. Can't wait for more.

A few episodes into Friends From College and Megan and I are liking it pretty well.

First couple episodes of The Keepers and it's decent. The first episode is a real failure, but the second episode is so much better.

I mainlined the first season of The Expanse the last couple of days. While SyFy has gotten more into showing SchiFi in the last couple of years, this is the first thing they've put out that is on the same level of Battlestar Galactica since, well, Battlestar Galactica. Whereas BSG was all about the military side of conflict, this is definitely a series about the normal people. Mind you, the normal people become big damn heroes but still.

Donomark   

When Jodie Whitaker was announced as the next Doctor, my girlfriend suggested I check out her work in Broadchurch. Finished the first season last night. It's terrific. David Tennant might be one of my favorite actors ever after this, and believe me, this is an actor's show. A ton of WHO alumnus show up here (Arthur Darvill, David Bradley), and if Chibnill brings his A-game to his era as he did with this show, we're in for a helluva time. 

Donomark   

Finished season 2 and 3 of Broadchurch, and both were very good. Season 2 I'd rank third in terms of best. It gets pretty melodramatic and doesn't flow as well as season one. The trial scenes are very over the top and the mystery for the season doesn't feel as organically written as last season. Tennant's Hardy basically bullies Olivia Coleman's Miller into helping him solve his old case. It wasn't awful, but felt more stagey than season One. Season 3 was much more nuanced and a back to basics approach. Hardy and Miller are working a rape case, and for once it's not a situation where they're personally involved, so we see them do what they do best without collapsing. We have the Latimers for that, the family whose boy was murdered back in season 1. The father, 3 years later, still can't get past it. This season has a solid mystery and character development which matched the quality of the first year. Overall I'd highly recommend the show, and am more than ever excited for Chibnill and Whitaker's Doctor Who based on their work in this.