The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Krasinski as Captain America?

It could happen as Marvel conducts screen tests this week in its search for the actor to play Steve Rogers, the alter ego of the title character in its "Captain America" movie.

The company's latest superhero movie is being directed by Joe Johnston and tells the story of the young infirm man rejected from enlisting who becomes America's symbol of liberty during World War II and eventually a member of Marvel's superhero team the Avengers.

About seven actors have moved to the front of the super soldier serum testing line and have either tested or are expected to screen test this week and next at Marvel's Manhattan Beach headquarters.

Those known to be on the list with Krasinski include Michael Cassidy (who appeared in"Smallvile" and who tested for the Superman movie when McG was going to direct it), Patrick Flueger (one of the stars of "The 4400" who most recently appeared in the Tobey Maguire movie "Brothers"), Scott Porter (TV's "Friday Night Lights") and Mike Vogel ("Cloverfield").

Chace Crawford is also in talks to screen test, though no deal has been made.

Garret Hedlund, already starring in Disney's "Tron," was also on the list to test but has fallen off, at least for now, because of scheduling conflicts. Insiders say he may still make the testing round. Jensen Ackles is another actor who had scheduling conflicts.

The studio has put the actors on 30-day holds during the testing process.

Sources on both sides caution that an actor may not be found from the tests, which happened during Marvel's search for the man who would be "Thor." For that movie, currently shooting in Manhattan Beach, the studio conducted several rounds of testing but found its star, Chris Hemsworth, out of left field.

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/02/captain-america-contenders-krasinski-cassidy-vogel-fluger-more.html

It would be hard for me to take Jim Halpert from The Office seriously as Cap.

That may well be, Dread, but do you want to risk asserting that truth only to have some WB teen fucker portraying America's greatest hero. Better to hedge the bets on that one and go with someone that looks like they might actually have some life experience under their belt. Leonardo De caprio as Captain America. There. I said it. I know it will never happen in a million years but why not. They got Downey Jr. for Iron Man and Norton for Hulk. Keep that trend going.

• 2 weeks later...
It’s looking more and more likely that John Krasinski - - who most people identify as “Jim from the Office” - - will be win the casting call and play Steve Rogers in Joe Johnston’s THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA. An insider has told Fox411 that Krasinski has met on numerous occasions with the producers at Marvel already throughout the year.

"John has read 4 times and is doing screen tests… He has screen tested 2 times so far. It's very likely that he will be the new Captain America. He is a favorite among the key decision makers and has been asked to come back for more this week… The big bosses are having him read with multiple actresses up for the female leads. They want to lock down the role and then they will narrow down everyone else."

Will we be seeing more his romantic side in this?

Doing multiple screen tests and reading with actresses is a really good sign that Marvel likes him. It’s funny - - I hadn’t considered until today that there would be love interest/female lead in the movie. Obviously, that would be pretty standard for any big blockbuster like this, but Cap hasn’t exactly had a consistent girl throughout his career. Superman has Lois Lane, but Cap has had Sharon Carter, Connie Ferrari and others in various eras and none of those relationships have lasted too long. In fact, the only possible girlfriend I’m aware of that he might have from that era is the brunette intelligence officer from the ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY that I keep mentioning in articles for this. That would be a good place to turn to for source material - - I insist!

411’s source goes on to say that Marvel staffers are preparing for Krasinski’s possible hire…

"It's a surprise and we are bracing ourselves for 'that guy from 'The Office'' to land Captain America. They are not really looking at the other guys, so it's time to get ready to work with him… If John gets offered the role, the pay will not be outrageous but it would be a multi-film deal. Marvel has big plans to tie the movies together and John would have parts in all of them since the first Captain America will be an origin story. The movie will break down how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America.”

Read this if you can find it for a good idea of a Cap movie.

While I still think a dashing unknown would be the best choice, I’ll reiterate that I’ll get behind this as a casting choice. It'll be good to mix things up in the movie instead of just getting a generic “leading man” and, as examples from the past have demonstrated, a lot of times you can’t judge how well an actor will fill into a hero or villain’s shoes based on the roles they’ve been inclined to play. People were poo-pooing the choices of comedian Michael Keaton as Batman and young dramatist Heather Ledger as the Joker, and those seemed to turn out well didn’t they? Plus, I think it’d fit the sense of transformation in the character, considering that Steve Rogers goes from a meek 4F art student to an all-American Ajax. The metamorphosis of a cubicle goof into a super-soldier could work just as well.

Krasinki’s got my vote but what about yours, oh office prank-pulling Comic Vine community?

Update:

Now it's being reported that none of the guys that have screen tested before are getting the job. Deadline.com says they've expanded their search and are even considering Chris Evans. Could the actor that played the Human Torch return to Marvel movies to portray Steve Rogers? Mike Vogel (Cloverfield) and Garret Hedlund (Tron: Legacy) are supposedly still being considered as well.

Link

I really hope they don't screw this movie up. If they make a really good movie with defining Captain America as the hero he is it won't be so hard for me to explain to everyone why he's my favorite. If they are trying to make him a man out of time then the best thing they can do with a love interest is have it someone from 1940 and then when he's frozen and comes back they can generate a ton of sympathy for him if they do it right. I would love to see Chris Evans play him.