Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylo Ren felt like a pretty weak villain to me. He was supposed to be a fallen Jedi, but is pretty spotty with the force. He felt Han's presence on the planet from miles away, but from 30 feet away didn't know he was there. He couldn't feel Rey's presence either when searching for her, but randomly felt Finn at the beginning of the movie. He also got beat in a lightsaber duel by someone who had never used one before. I still loved the movie. These just stood out to me.

Hidden Content

I think that's the point of Kylo Ren - he's a wannabe. He looks badass and scary but he's really a skinny dork with an inferiority complex and daddy issues.

That said, I also had issues with Rey being able to take him on, and quite frankly, Finn should have cut his own arm off in that duel. He had no business having any idea what he was doing with that lightsaber.

These are nitpicks. I had a ball.

HUGE SERIOUS MEGA SPOILER

Do not click if you haven't seen the film.

Chewbacca walking right past Leia to join the Resistance and let Rey inform her of Han's death really bothered me. It's not a minor nitpick, because I find it egregious, but I really liked almost everything else.

Just walked out. Thought it was pretty damn amazing. Got emotional in it a number of times.

So Rey is Rens sister yeah? With the use of the force, the luke leia, rey ren play on words thing. Han is the father she always wanted, piloting, etc. Would also explain Prestons gripe as it sets up the family connection. 

I agree Ren is flawed deliberately, it's going to take a lot to redeem him in my eyes, but that will be part of the journey. 

Also kudos to the casting director, I wasn't in to Daisy Ridley in the trailers, but she totally got me emotionally involved in everything scent she touched.

Han knew what would happen when he walked out on that bridge. But he had to do it because that was his child and he still loved him despite everything. I didn't think Han Solo could be any more of a bad ass hero, but that walk proved me wrong.

And Harrison Ford sold it perfectly.

Edited by JasonC

Just walked out. Thought it was pretty damn amazing. Got emotional in it a number of times.

Hidden Content

I'm thinking she's

Luke's daughter. She an intuitive pilot with no training, is great with machines, the Skywalker saber calls to her, and is crazy-strong in The Force. Based on the nine-year age difference between Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley, I'm guessing after Ben was turned to The Darkside, Luke walked away (which was stated) and met a woman whom he impregnated. To save their daughter from Kylo (née Ben), Snoke, and The First Order,  Luke placed Rey into hiding on Jakku.

Saw it today. Not a fan of Kylo Ren / Emo Ren, who is less intimidating than Dark Helmet of Spaceballs. Having Emo Ren remove his helmet was a huge mistake. Great nostalgia trip though, with no Jar Jar or any characters like Jar Jar. I wish Billy Dee Williams was there.

A couple of things I loved:

The literal meaning of things. Starkiller Base actually kills stars to fire it's super weapon. Also Star Wars literally means using stars for war. The light/dark symbolism was literal this time. Kylo could fight off the dark side until the sun went out, and then he went full dark side. When Starkiller Base collapsed it returned to a star which means they literally fought the darkness and won. There were others, but I can't remember them now. I think General Hux is the most evil person in the movie. I turned to my buddy and said I couldn't wait to see how he dies because it's going to be good.

Tinfoil hat theory

I think only Finn and Kylo took off their helmets in the movie. I think it's because only those two could be brought to the light side in the movie. Finn did it, and Kylo didn't. Remember Vader only took his off when he turned to the light side? Just my excuse of why Captain Phasma never took hers off. I don't think any other stormtrooper did either.

Nitpicky stuff I shouldn't worry about but I'm a nerd so I will:

Why wasn't Finn put in a bacta tank? Why didn't the resistance haul ass off the planet in case they couldn't destroy Starkiller Base? They weren't helping with the fight, just watching it on screens. How did R2D2 know when to come out of power saving mode? The only thing I can think is that Luke felt what was happening and sent him a message that it was time. That would mean Luke let them go on a suicide mission and just waited to see what would happen. Kind of a dick move. That is unless he has Yoda's ability to see the future. If it turns out he does then I retract that dick move comment, although Yoda was kind of a dick sometimes also.