The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure if this is really where to put this but the 'Trock' band Chameleon Circuit have just put out a new album called "Still Got Legs". It's on iTunes or http://dftba.com/ if you liked songs like "Blink" , "Exterminate Regenerate", "Gallifreyan History 101", and "Journey's End" from Dan's Trock Special of Bigger on the Inside you should love this new bunch of trock tracks from the same team. If you want to try out the album before you buy it you can listen at alexdaymusic.com.

-Skyler

Well the first and biggest story is of course that Whovians can now “rent” whole Doctor Who stories via Facebook, in a new deal with BBC Worldwide.

Using Facebook credits, the official Doctor Who page is streaming one digitally remastered story from each of Doctors (minus Paul McGann and current Time Lord Matt Smith), including the very first Who story, An Unearthly Child.

And there’s a chance to see the Seventh Doctor story The Greatest Show In The Galaxy digitally, for the first time since broadcast, as it’s never been released on DVD.

John Smith, Chief Executive at BBC Worldwide said, “We see this service as a perfect way to give our fans what they want, as well as a great way for them to get their fix between now and the autumn when series six continues.”

Source

BBC Worldwide's Annual Review for 2011 has been released, and figures show that Doctor Who has led the way for the BBC's commercial arm's success in the last year.

The series was the biggest show sold internationally last year, and is now available in over fifty territories. It saw significant growth within the United States, including becoming the third-biggest seller in the US iTunes charts (behind Mad Men and Glee). Overall, the Doctor Who franchise saw its revenue increase by 49%.

Series Five was one of the top five selling series for BBC Worldwide, with the others being the first series of Sherlock, series 15 and 16 of Top Gear, and Human Planet. In terms of revenue, the top three series were Top Gear, Doctor Who, and Waking the Dead.

Doctor Who is one of the five "power brands", along with Top Gear, Lonely Planet, BBC Earth and Dancing with the Stars; together their revenue reached £308.1m, accounting for 27% of BBC Worldwide's total of £1.16 billion.

Source

Nice one Pucky.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Torchwood? I think my main problem is the way they shattered my suspension of disbelief about this show. I can believe that Jack and whatshername can save the world when they're working out of Cardiff, or even trying to deal with the 486. That ended for some reason once global agencies start trying to kill them. I just don't believe these two are that important to solving this problem. What's more, not only are they ignoring the events of Who with all the alien sightings and whatnot, I can get that it's a fresh show, but global alien activity was evident in the last series of THIS show. Why is everyone in American intelligence acting like they don't remember any of it?

It could build to something, but right now it feels really directionless. Hopefully it'll pick up once we get an actual villain.

Why is everyone in American intelligence acting like they don't remember any of it?

Could it have anything to do with the cracks in spacetime erasing stuff?

Erasing the whole crisis that killed half of Torchwood? They still have the records pertaining to those deaths.

You know what? Good for him. He could easily have made a metric fuck-ton of money and become a HUGE star, but he decided it wasn't worth it. RTD has a reputation of not being the easiest man in the world to work with, and this had been rumored for a long time as to why Eccleston left, and it's good to hear him use it as a cautionary tale to acting students rather than taking the bait when a journalist shoves a microphone in his face and says "I understand Russell is a great big poopy-head. Your response?"