Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol: This is actually a really entertaining film. It's helped by the fact that it feels like a 40s serial, although the ending did drag a tad in places this time. Ultimately, a very fun flick.

Films watched: 51

Repeats: 1

I remember having low expectations for that movie, that shot right up when I found out Brad Bird worked on it.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible No Good Very Bad Day: Youngest got a free rental card and chose this one. Megan and I were actually delighted. The kid is very charming and not a typical child star. The whole premise and delivery of the film is as if it was the best modern R Rated comedy you can think of (say...Hangover) and transplants it into a kid's movie. Great. One of the best movies I've seen this year, actually.

Feature Films: 72

Documentaries: 3

Heathers for Hey! An Actor

Started off absolutely loathing it and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. One of the darkest things I've seen in long while, coupled with the fact that so much of the heavy subject matter has come to life in the years between the release of this film and today. Very good screenplay by Daniel Waters, with the dialogue being both theatrical and simultaneously believable. I also thought Winona Ryder was really really good in this. Only thing that was throwing me off were those massive shoulders everyone was sporting with that damned 80s fashion.

The thing is, Cameron was a great action director. Then sometime between True Lies and Titanic, he bought into his own hype so hardcore and then it became easier to see his flaws and the bloat. It doesn't help when you gain a reputation of being an asshole in an industry filled with them.

I'll fight you if you think its director is the greatest. But yeah, Aliens is pretty good.

Cameron's far from my favorite director, don't worry.

The thing is, Cameron was a great action director. Then sometime between True Lies and Titanic, he bought into his own hype so hardcore and then it became easier to see his flaws and the bloat. It doesn't help when you gain a reputation of being an asshole in an industry filled with them.

Example A of why he isn't.

Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns): a documentary about They Might Be Giants, covering their career and the beginnings of the Mink Car tour in 2001. TMBG was an inescapable fact of life for a certain type of kid in the late 1980s and early 1990s; if you were a nerd in 1990 Flood just kind of appeared in your CD collection one day, and you had no memory of actually acquiring it. It was just there.

The movie itself is extremely well done, looking at the band as guys and as artists, and they are interesting and entertaining enough to follow around for a couple of hours. It wisely concentrates more on their skill as lyricists, their hugely successful Dial-A-Song service, and their early videos, while rooting the viewer in when and where the doc is being filmed; towards the end of the movie, one of the last things we see is the guys singing "New York City" at a late night record store appearance; without any commentary, we see that this happened around 10:30 or so on September 10, 2001.

Barton Fink: To say this is a breath of fresh air compared to The Spirit is not only an understatement, but also a likely insult towards Joel and Ethan Coen. The Coen Brothers are, quite possibly, my favorite filmmakers of all time, and they delivered in fine form with Barton Fink. This movie is a masterpiece.

Films Watched: 55

Repeats: 1