Green Lantern

JackFetch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's crap.

The world as a whole lacks my enthusiasm for many things, like the B-52s and Mello Yello.

The B-52s are the shizzle.

I was about to type "hell yeah" until I realized that you weren't referring to B-52 bombers.

Another reason why you're wrong, K-Dubs. Not getting down to Love Shack, Roam and Rock Lobster is a capital offence in Iangland - prepare to die!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/green-lantern-makes-3-35m-midnights/

Green Lantern had well-known actor Ryan Reynolds playing the superhero, yet looks like it wont get near Thor's recent $65.7M opening weekend starring a complete unknown. Warner Bros and DC Entertainment are freaking out about the continuing negative buzz pumped up by rival studios, who are telling me that the international day-and-date opening box office for Green Lantern is off to a "very soft start". Though UK opened #1, grossing £717k (US$1.2M) from 907 situations. that's less than this summer's openings of X-Men: First Class, Fast Five, and Thor. And the Russia and South Korea debuts weren't strong.

Warner Bros says it is very pleased with DC Entertainment's Green Lantern 3D opening of $3.35M midnight showings from 1,810 venues, which bettered Marvel/Paramount's Thor midnights ($3.2M from 1,800 locations) and were on a par with Marvel/Fox's X-Men: First Class prequel midnights ($3.3M from 1,783 theaters). "It's an excellent result setting up for a strong Father's Day weekend at the box office," a Warner Bros exec emailed me this morning. Today, Green Lantern starring Ryan Reynolds and directed by Martin Campbell opens in a wide but by no means record-setting release into 3,816 theaters, of which 2,711 will be 3D. There'll be a total of over 7,100 prints working. Hollywood is estimating North American box office for Green Lantern's weekend opening in the mid-$50M range with the upside as much as $65-$70M if the fan boys go for it in 3D despite the poor reviews. The studio is anticipating Sunday's Father's Day should be a strong day for the comic book movie judging from historic numbers with strong results from past superhero films.

Word of mouth will prove critical to Green Lantern's fortunes and Ryan Reynold's future as a superhero. ("Is Ryan Reynolds the right choice for this role? We’ll see but who knew that Green Lantern was an intergalactic standup comedian?" a rival studio exec quips to me.) Meanwhile, marketing was not happy with the movie which production delivered, and saw the finished film extremely late in the game. A source tells me. "In this case, marketing didn't have access to more than 70% of the finished movie until two weeks ago." The result is that, at a time when $35M is the average marketing cost and $70M the domestic norm for a big summer tentpole, Warner Bros spent $55M on Green Lantern's domestic TV ads, and a total $100 million for the overall domestic campaign. "Every time I turn my TV on, I think I’m watching the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards, there’s so much green slime going on," a rival studio exec snarked to me.

One reason for the high cost is that Warner Bros has changed the movie's marketing campaign three times which is unusual. The studio claims its campaign has been consistent since launch -- but even I have eyes -- though admits it may seem like that because the visual effects were late coming in and delayed aspects of the campaign. My sources tell me that Warner Bros film chief Jeff Robinov and DC Entertainment "pressured the campaign to feature the alien characters too much in the name of 'franchise building'." But not everyone was on board having to feature these side characters so much especially given their marginal roles in the finished film."

Hollywood is expecting director Martin Campbell to be made the scapegoat on this one if it underperforms; Campbell has already publicly suggested he won't be back if there's a sequel. The truth is Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment's chief creative officer who also writes the "Green Lantern" comics and was integrally involved (reputedly even the deciding vote) on every big decision on this movie, starting with the writers. And he's a very controversial figure, to put it mildly. So he'll come out of this weekend either the goat or the hero. "I'm not going to tell you this is the greatest movie," a studio exec admits to me about why the film wasn't better. The problem sounds like filmmaking by committee.

For weeks now, Green Lantern has been tracking better than Thor or X-Men but not as big as this summer's big summer sequels like Fast Five or Pirates Of The Caribbean 4, which is to be expected since audiences had to be made aware of Warner Bros' newest superhero. But generally reviews have been bad, with a score of only 21% positive on Rotten Tomatoes compared to Thor's 77% and X-Men's 87%.

The truth is Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment's chief creative officer who also writes the "Green Lantern" comics and was integrally involved (reputedly even the deciding vote) on every big decision on this movie, starting with the writers. And he's a very controversial figure, to put it mildly.

:huh:

That whole article sounds like a generic comic book fanboy rant.

I mean, he almost literally says that Geoff Johns was more responsible for the movie's supposed failure than the actual director. Despite the fact that we've already read Johns' own personal take on the story, which was better in every way.

I'm getting tired of "news articles" on sites being treated like personal editorials for the writers. Whether or not I agree with them, I'd rather be able to actually see the raw facts and not have to sift through a filter of nerd rage.

That whole article sounds like a generic comic book fanboy rant.

I mean, he almost literally says that Geoff Johns was more responsible for the movie's supposed failure than the actual director. Despite the fact that we've already read Johns' own personal take on the story, which was better in every way.

I'm getting tired of "news articles" on sites being treated like personal editorials for the writers. Whether or not I agree with them, I'd rather be able to actually see the raw facts and not have to sift through a filter of nerd rage.

Um Nikki Finke is the top insider movie reporter there is. Not a nerd or comic fan at all. She's an industry insider and reports on that.

Um Nikki Finke is the top insider movie reporter there is. Not a nerd or comic fan at all. She's an industry insider and reports on that.

Ah. I think I've heard of her before.

Did some quick research on her. She seems to be one of those "pick a target and lacerate it" journalists. My earlier rant mostly applies here, too. Too much opinion and aggression in what should be a straightforward news article.

Just got back from seeing it, and the theater had more people in it than I thought for a Sunday afternoon. I thought the movie was fine, perhaps I set my expectations too low but I thought the movie was fine. Now I don't think it really needed a love interest and I think you could cut a good 10 minutes easy, and I can see if you have no knowledge of the comics how you might get lost and have no idea what's going on.

But thumbs up!

Keep in mind that's only 52 million domestic. It's the first weekend and it'll do just fine overseas. While it's not a huge success, 52 is still respectable. It'll make back it's bank and a bit more and Warner's Will probably just decrease the budget for the next one.

It cost Warner Bros. $300 million. This is not making the $500 million needed to justify the budget.