The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 8 years ago today we said goodbye to the 9th Doctor.

He wasn't the most doctorish Doctor but in my mind he still ranks up there by the top. (7/11, 9/4/10 - being my top five and they change order whenever someone asks) I love his stories and he holds a special place in my heart as he was my first.

I just want to say thank you and you were 'fantastic!'

And suddenly it's looking potentially possible again. Honestly, after all this, I really hope they're real because they're going to get one fucking awesome special feature out of it all.

So the BBC have responded

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/19/bbc-officially-responds-to-bleeding-cool-over-doctor-who-rumours/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm not sure i would buy a woman as the doctor if they go that route.

Not because a woman couldn't play the role (I think Tilda Swinton would be an amazing Doctor. Quirky, Scary, Fun, Dangerous and unbound talent.) but it would just seem out of place for time Lords to swap gender so matter of factly, just on a personal level. I know that the Doctor referenced the Time Lord who did in "The Doctors Wife" but actually on screen would be kind of jaring.

Race on the other hand is totally open to all comers. We have seen the doctor look so different from one regeneration to the next so why not skin colour. River did in Lets kill Hitler.

The Doctor is the sole big character in TV and film where a gender swap wouldn't be out of place. I would never suggest recasting Buffy as a man or James Bond as a woman but the Doctor is the sole character where this is possible and is a possibility that should be explored. People will find it jarring at first and then just get used to it so long as the actress is of the same calibre as the previous Doctors.

I think the only way they make the Doctor female is if they decide "y'know what, we need to change up the show somehow." The fact that the Doctor is a young hot guy is a really big deal to modern (female) fandom. They could potentially gain a whole new audience by making the Doctor female, but it's a very big risk.

Moffat went on record as saying that when he was going into the casting process for Eleven, he had in mind a man in his mid-forties, but that Matt Smith was so obviously perfect and blew everyone away that there was no other choice. And it's true that when he was announced there were a lot of people screaming about how young he was and they were only trying to appeal to fangirls and what have you, but all of that went away as soon as he popped his head out of the TARDIS an asked for an apple. If an actress comes to the audition (or came to the audition, as I'm still convinced the role's already cast) and was equally obviously the correct choice for the Twelfth Doctor, then most of the outrage will die down as soon as she shows up and does her thing.

Moffat has always been an egomaniac. Always. As EP of Doctor Who he's much more in the spotlight, but he's been very difficult to take on a personal level since way before Coupling. I don't think he's any less capable of picking a Doctor than he was four years ago.

You see, although all the actors since it's rebirth have been great as the doctor I'm getting a little tired of the younger good looking male Doctor. And yet that still doesn't make me want to see a hot young woman in the role just to change it up or capture another audience. I would actually like to see an older guy play the role again. Like John Hurt or Malcolm Mcdowell. Someone a little wiser more weathered and gentlemanly.

Unfortunately I think we will get John Hurt as this yet unknown Doctor for about 5 minutes then right back into a 30 something good looking actor. Not that they were bad but it would be nice to see something else now.