The Doctor Who thread

The backlash against Smith at the time he was cast was that he was too young and clearly was only cast to appeal to younger audiences. The backlash against Capaldi seems to be that he is too old and won't appeal to the younger audiences. :)

Personally, I love this choice. I can actually see him being a calmer, less erratic version of the Doctor compared to Smith. This is the audition script and I can hear both Capaldi and Smith reading it in very different ways.

INT. TARDIS

The new Doctor is checking out the new body. Clara, watching. Its been a few minutes, theyre both still adjusting.

THE DOCTOR: Right then, eyesight. Not bad, bit blue. Ears not pointy, right way up, more or less level. Face well Ive got one. Oh, no French!

CLARA: French.

THE DOCTOR: Ive deleted French! Plus all cookery skills, and the breast stroke. And hopping. Never mind hopping, who needs to hop. Ohh, the kidneys are interesting. Never had that before interesting kidneys.

CLARA: Are you all right?

THE DOCTOR: I dont know, do I look all right?

CLARA: I dont know.

THE DOCTOR: Hows the face? Seems all right from the inside. Nice action, responsive. Bit less heft on the chin. How is it?

CLARA: Its... okay.

THE DOCTOR: Okay?

CLARA: Its a bit... you know.

THE DOCTOR: No I dont, I havent seen it yet.

CLARA: Maybe its just new.

THE DOCTOR: Have you changed height?

CLARA: No.

THE DOCTOR: You sure?

CLARA: Its you, your height, youre the one whos changed.

THE DOCTOR: And look at your nose.

CLARA: What about my nose?

THE DOCTOR: It was really cute, I loved your nose, you shouldve kept it.

CLARA: I did, its the same nose, its the same all of me. Youre the one whos... regenerated, whatever you call it.

THE DOCTOR: Are you wearing a smell?

CLARA: Do you mean perfume?

THE DOCTOR: Yes, I suppose it could be perfume.

CLARA: Youve always liked that perfume, you said so.

THE DOCTOR: No I didnt, that was the Doctor.

CLARA: Youre the Doctor.

THE DOCTOR: Yes, I suppose I am. Thats going to take a bit of getting used to.

CLARA: Yeah, it really is.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's the first Oscar winner to play the Doctor (admitedly, his Oscar was for Directing a short film, not acting :D).

He's also a good friend with Craig Ferguson (they were in a band together when they were young). Given that, plus how much of a fan of Who Craig is, I can imagine him appearing on his show again to promote the show (although i doubt they'll discuss taking Acid together again, like they did last time he was on :D).

This announcement has certainly given me a shot in the arm regarding DW. As a lifelong fan since the Davison years, i've been feeling these past few months a bit jaded about the show (As most fans feel at some point or another i'm sure) but i feel very enthusiastic again.

Y'know what I realised? This is the Doctor that has the possibility of becoming the Valeyard when he regenerates. If Moffat really is using a lot from the Classic series, he should have the Valeyard show up a time or two during Twelve's run. Not necessarily to try and kill him, but to try to manipulate him down a darker road, have him make choices in how he deals with the bad guys that aren't as noble as usual. And therefore increase the chance of Twelve becoming The Valeyard.

And not necessarily when he's awake. Pop up in his dreams as The Dream Lord and just talk at him.

Now that would a lot of fun to watch...

Further thoughts-

It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of regeneration leads to Capaldi as the Doctor, maybe some sort of unconcious reconciliation between his 11th and unnamed self results in a shift back to a physically older version, like the Doctor had been getting younger and younger as a way of running away from what the John Hurt version did.

It's impressive to think that in the space of two specials we'll be getting at least four Doctors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5Blf073f2Lc

So Rosie and I have been talking (as we sometimes do) and we think that with the 12th Doctor we'd like to see a return of the Ian/Captain Jack character and the Doctor to be quite annoyed about the fact that it's needed, he's not needed someone to play that part for a while but he's now an older man doing all the running around and fighting would be a bit harder.

So what would you guys want to see with the 12th Doctor?

So the DVD of "the Tenth Planet" will have a recently rediscovered short interview with William Hartnell, filmed just a few months after he left the role. It's the only footage (audio or visual) of Hartnell being interviewed that is known to exist. It's always nice to see something rare like this.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08/hartnell-tv-interview-discovered-160813184817.html

• 2 weeks later...