Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just read the Smackdown spoilers. By the looks of things,

Swagger is going to have a crap title reign that no one cares about.

I like Sawgger, but it's the MITB being used as a transition title reign again. They are about to change everything up with the draft, so they needed to wipe the slate clean. They did the same thing with CM Punk in his first title reign, except he waited until the week after the draft.

I like Sawgger, but it's the MITB being used as a transition title reign again. They are about to change everything up with the draft, so they needed to wipe the slate clean. They did the same thing with CM Punk in his first title reign, except he waited until the week after the draft.

That's the thing, MITB shouldn't always be used as a shitty transitional reign, it took CM Punk two MITB wins to prove he was a main eventer. Also, the main story coming from Smackdown was thet Cryme Tyme broke up, and Shad is going out on his own.

I spoke with a source in TNA this morning who told me that there was a genuinely horrific backstage reaction to Dixie Carter's latest Tweet concerning Impact and Shawn Michaels.

For those who did not read the Tweet, Carter posted the following this past Tuesday: "Thank goodness he can only retire once...hopefully. Shawn, congrats on an amazing career!"

Carter was reacting to the very low 0.56 cable rating that Impact drew this past Monday night and her Tweet seemed to blame the low rating on the fact that WWE booked Shawn Michaels' retirement speech for Raw that night, which took away from TNA's ratings. However, when you look at the quarter hour break down of Impact, the entire show performed poorly which in no way can be blamed on the HBK segment on Raw, which aired in the show's main event time slot.

According to the TNA source I spoke with, many people backstage in the company were shocked that Dixie actually blamed the rating on the HBK segment, and feel that her Tweet further proved that she has a lot to learn. Additionally, many people felt that her Tweet was disrespectful, as it was more of an excuse for the poor Impact rating as opposed to a respectful farewell to HBK, which it seemed like she was going for.

This is from Wrestlezone.com and I am losing more and more faith in their "Reporting" as of late. But if this is true, she is an idiot.

I hate to say it, but I think the Orlando Jordan stuff might be just what TNA needs. If they do this kind of stuff every other week or so, then people will start watching just to see what kind of weird shit he'll do next. They can't over use him though. He's like old school Goldust on ecstasy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In an interview with MediaTempo.com, Rey Mysterio said he would like to retire in three years.

"I plan to take three years to announce my retirement in a historic event," Mysterio said. He added that when he retires, his body will "thank him for not exploiting it anymore" after a number of injuries and operations so he can devote himself to his family.

The high-flying superstar also discusses his thirty-day Wellness Policy suspension last year, saying it was "cleared up" with proper documentation following his time served. While he felt his body needed the time off, he was emotionally distraught about his image being hurt.

Mysterio said he would like to follow in the footsteps of numerous Lucha libre stars who have starred in movies, saying there have been talks of a potential movie within the next two years to fulfill a dream he's had "for a long time."

http://www.mediotiempo.com/mas-deportes/noticias/2010/04/01/rey-mysterio-anuncio-que-en-tres-anos-se-retirara-de-la-lucha-libre (in Spanish)

On Kanyon's death:

According to friends, Kanyon had been open about suffering from bipolar disorder and reportedly threatened suicide many times in the past. From what I understand, Kanyon had been talking about taking his own life as recently as Monday.

Either he had some shitty friends, or there was no way anyone could have stopped him. It's sad that nobody intervened.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but holy shit!

In light of Chris Kanyon's passing over the weekend, it's interesting to note that a total of twenty-two talents who performed for World Championship Wrestling in 1998 have since passed away - nearly equal to a 25-man MLB roster. Likewise, a total of six wrestlers who performed for the World Wrestling Federation the very same year have since passed on (Big Boss Man, "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, Golga, Owen Hart, Road Warrior Hawk and Test). However, only two WWF performer deaths have been attributed to drug use while the WCW list is significantly greater.

In its entirety, here is the list of deceased talents who performed for WCW in 1998. With the exception of one performer, all deaths listed occurred before the age of 50.

» Bam Bam Bigelow - 2007 / 01 / 19 (45)

» Bobby Duncum, Jr. - 2000 / 01 / 24 (34)

» Brady Boone (referee) - 1998 / 12 / 16 (40)

» Brian Adams - 2007 / 08 / 13 (44)

» Chase Tatum - 2008 / 03 / 23 (34)

» Chris Adams - 2001 / 10 / 07 (46)

» Chris Benoit - 2007 / 06 / 24 (40)

» Curt Hennig - 2003 / 02 / 10 (44)

» Davey Boy Smith - 2002 / 05 / 17 (39)

» Eddie Guerrero - 2005 / 11 / 13 (38)

» Elizabeth - 2003 / 05 / 01 (42)

» Emory Hale - 2006 / 01 / 28 (36)

» Johnny Grunge - 2006 / 02 / 16 (40)

» Joey Maggs - 2006 / 10 / 15 (37)

» Kanyon - 2010 / 04 / 02 (40)

» Louie Spicolli - 1998 / 02 / 15 (27)

» Mark Curtis (referee) - 1999 / 09 / 08 (37)

» Randy Anderson (referee) - 2002 / 05 / 05 (42)

» Ray Traylor - 2004 / 09 / 22 (41)

» Rick Rude - 1999 / 04 / 20 (40)

» Renegade - 1999 / 02 / 23 (33)

» Rocco Rock - 2002 / 09 / 21 (50)

Additionally, six more talents who joined WCW after 1998 have since passed on - Chris Candido, "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, Mike Awesome, Rhonda Singh, Sherri Martel and The Wall. All six deaths listed occurred before the age of 50.

On a final note, Kanyon's passing marks the fifteenth consecutive year in which at least one talent who performed for WCW between 1991 and 2001 has died.

WCW was just as bad as WWE, its just they were employing a lot of older wrestlers at that point, people who were using drugs to prolong their careers. Most of those people worked for WWF at some point as well, this isn't a case of WCW being so much worse than WWE was.

WCW was just as bad as WWE, its just they were employing a lot of older wrestlers at that point, people who were using drugs to prolong their careers. Most of those people worked for WWF at some point as well, this isn't a case of WCW being so much worse than WWE was.

It's pointing out that one particular year in WCW is connected to a lot more early deaths than any other year or company. It could be coincidence, but it makes you think. I know if I worked in WCW in 1998 I'd be pretty nervous.

Early estimates are that Raw pulled a 3.2 and iMPACT, on an hour early last night, pulled a 0.9

What makes this funny is that I was reading an old issue of PowerSlam from last year, and hey published the ratings, TNA was pulling 1.1's on Thursday nights, taped weeks in advance, and with half the "Stars" they have now.