The Graysons

JackFetch

Holy shit, this came out of nowhere!

The CW is developing a series based on Batman sidekick Robin's pre-Caped Crusader days, reports Variety.

"Smallville" executive producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, as well as "Supernatural" executive producer McG, are behind "The Graysons," which has landed a put pilot commitment at the network.

Just as "Smallville" focuses on Clark Kent in the years before he became Superman, "The Graysons" will follow the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before he takes on the iconic Robin identity and aligns himself with Batman.

"The Graysons" is seen as a potential replacement for "Smallville" should that show end its run this season, which has been speculated. Should "Smallville" return next year, "The Graysons" might also make a strong companion piece.

In the one-hour "Graysons," which will be set in modern times, young DJ will face challenges involving first loves, young rivals and his family as he grows up. Souders and Peterson have come up with an original take on the character.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7696

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. No no no no no. There is no storyline basis for a pre murder series about the Grayson's. Thats literally just some show set in a circus where nothing unusual happens. There is absolutly NO basis for this show, it completly steps on the character development of Dick resulting from his parents death.

On the upside the final episode is going to be awesome, especially if the casting is piss-poor, which given the requirement for the actors to be a acrobats as well I don't see how it can be good. What about DC universe crossovers, are we going to have a young Jack Napier show up at the circus? This sounds like a VERY bad idea.

Who thought this would be a good idea!

Smallville I can see the point of, Clark learning his powers, but how the hell will this work.

"Now Dick, if something bad ever happens to us, whatever you do, don't go to live with a wayward millionaire, which is really a front for a superhero. Because, chances are you will be his sidekick and for forty years everyone will associate you with paedophilia and gay relationships. Now if you'll excuse me, your mother, your brother and everyone else you've ever loved while we all go up this high thing that seems to be slippery and piss about with this loose rope."

Well, what the hell else could b in the show?

I swear the other idea I have is the family going town to town solving mysteries then performing their circus act to a not really captivated but slightly bored audience!

Oh god! It's the Monkees all over again!

Dick's middle name is John, so DJ works as a nickname.

The idea of a family / teen drama about a circus family isn't all that bad, but, if Smallville is any indication, this show will be bogged down with lame guest appearances and cringe-worthy melodrama.

If it ever airs, I'll give it a shot, but my hopes aren't high. Frankly, I'd rather have a show about young Bruce Wayne and his life on the road.

Guest DCAUFan1051
No. No no no no no. There is no storyline basis for a pre murder series about the Grayson's. Thats literally just some show set in a circus where nothing unusual happens. There is absolutly NO basis for this show, it completly steps on the character development of Dick resulting from his parents death.

On the upside the final episode is going to be awesome, especially if the casting is piss-poor, which given the requirement for the actors to be a acrobats as well I don't see how it can be good. What about DC universe crossovers, are we going to have a young Jack Napier show up at the circus? This sounds like a VERY bad idea.

I agree Stav when Fetch posted this I was like noo way WTF what kinda storyline could the possibly follow before the murders????

Guest DCAUFan1051
To be fair, his parents had to piss off the mob, somehow.

I thought the whole point of the Robin/Nightwing Character was revenge and redeption for not being able to save them? Birds Of Prey was great it gave way to Smallville but this is effin ridiculous. Just imagine BOP but younger :laugh: :sick::D

Dick's middle name is John, so DJ works as a nickname.

I understand them not wanting to call him "Dick" in 2008, but it makes no sense that they'd name the kid Richard, give him the nickname "Dick", and then further shorten it to "DJ". "RJ" or "Rick" would make much more sense.

Although that's an exceedingly minor point.

This show just sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea. Are we gonna get DJ and Lil' Babs running around solving circus mysteries? Quite frankly, the most interesting thing about Dick, or DJ, whatever, is that he's a ten-year-old (oh, wait, I forgot, it's the CW, so 16-on-the-show-but-24-year-old-really) acrobat. This just... no. Bad idea. And one that I seriously doubt will EVER be picked up. The Young Bruce Wayne Chronicles would be FAR more interesting, because he would be heading somewhere.

This sounds totally wrong. The series may have a chance if we seen a modern day Nightwing recounting memories in his childhood while fighting crimes in Gotham City(with Batman gone after the death of Jason Todd). But with this idea it looks like a bad idea. Why won't they just give in and give us a Dark take on Batman in a TV Show, or at least a Bruce Wayne series. How about this, make a Metropolis series...it may be a cliched idea, but Smallville fans may want to see the series continue.

I think Dick Grayson is one of the most compelling characters in the DCU and this is still a terrible idea. What makes him interesting is what happens after his parents are killed. Batman takes him under his cape (quiet you sick-minded lunatics) immediately.

There is precedent for a post murder, pre-Batman Bruce Wayne show. The first act of Batman Begins proved that. But this is just ridiculous.

There is precedent for a post murder, pre-Batman Bruce Wayne show. The first act of Batman Begins proved that. But this is just ridiculous.

This may be why the producers are looking at doing Robin's roots. With The Dark Knight doing the business that it did, Warner Bros. are going to want to bend over backwards to replicate the success by keeping Nolan/Bale on board, or at least having the film series in a similar vein. That's why there's no JLA film, and that's probably why they'd do a Dick Grayson show. Nolan and Bale both don't want Robin in the film continuity, so to keep feeding the success of the Batman media, they can Smallville-ize a major character in the mythos who won't be used until many years down the line.

Seriously though, I don't want to see a clown shout "Hey DJ, let's see you on the trapeze!! Why so serious?" Men in suits are baffling in their ineptitude.

I'd be much more acepting of a Batgirl series that only hints at Batman. Set in modern day Gotham with a college freshman Barbara Gordon taking on criminals at night. It could work.

The Graysons I just don't see working...

The problem with this is that hinting at the exsistence of a more popular character is only going to make viewers want to see Batman instead of Batgirl.

They obviously really want to create a high profile teen series based on DC comics, they are just a bit misguided. Aquaman was a FAIL, Smallville is done and Birds of Prey was cancelled.

Of anything I really think they should be trying to find ensemble cast stuff that would work. Green Arrow would be a good example, taking some cues from the Kevin Smith restart. Green Arrow mysteriously reappears after being missing for years and along with Black Canary, his long lost son and new sidekick he fights crime and uncovers the mystery of what happened to him. You can bring in the original Speedy, some other lower tier DC characters, maybe even a special appearence by Hal. Place GA as the street level hero and keep him there and I think you've got an interesting character to work with. Thats a show with legs, maybe even spinoff potential if guys like Nightwing show up. You have to keep it street level to avoid infringing on the movie stuff but you could always make vague references to big time heroes who don't have time for the little things.

Of course all this would pale in comparison to a Daredevil series on HBO or similar, adapting the Bendis run. You could really create a complex crime drama with that.

They obviously really want to create a high profile teen series based on DC comics, they are just a bit misguided. Aquaman was a FAIL, Smallville is done and Birds of Prey was cancelled.

Obviously the first attempt was a staggering failure, but I think the idea of a low-level, Giffen-era-influenced JLA series would work best. You'd have the ensemble cast, a mix of somewhat higher profile characters with interesting B- and C-listers, the opportunity for season-long arcs with episode-by-episode sub- or main plots, all that jazz.

I'd rather see a Dick Grayson a pre-Nightwing series than pre-Robin series. Hell, I'd rather see the Wonder Twins than this jizz mop of a show. The producers do realize that Grayson was 8 when his parents died, right? Even if they cheated and made that event happen when he's 12 or 13, you'd have to rely on a very, very young actor to carry the show for years.

And by the way, Dick John? Really? It sounds like a gay prostitute.

I'd rather see a Dick Grayson a pre-Nightwing series than pre-Robin series. Hell, I'd rather see the Wonder Twins than this jizz mop of a show. The producers do realize that Grayson was 8 when his parents died, right? Even if they cheated and made that event happen when he's 12 or 13, you'd have to rely on a very, very young actor to carry the show for years.

And by the way, Dick John? Really? It sounds like a gay prostitute.

I would rather see his journey from leaving as Robin and establishing himself as Nightwing, or him going back to Gotham after Batman leaves, due to the death of Jason Todd. If the show does center around him as an 8 year old or even if they upted him to being 12 it wouldn't be a dark show than. I don't see a parent letting their young son play in a dark TV Series(not as a regular). What we need is a Batman TV Series that is adapted from the early comics as well as the 80's to modern day take.