Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, instead of the mostly racially insensitive portrayal of Native Americans, they've instead went for racially insensitive generic Islanders. Interesting... Other than that, the trailer looks bizarre but in a good-ish way.

The way American Indians have been portrayed in Peter Pan movies are very bad. I think it might be a plus.

Then again, Frank Miller left out Ebony Brown in "The Spirit" and the movie was still horrible.

On one hand, I don't think we need an origin story for Peter Pan. I always interpreted him as more of a spirit than a real boy. But then again, if it is an original story, it could be good. The production values look insanely high at least.

Regarding the generic islander thing: a lot of Pacific islander cultures often do mix together into a "generic" kind of blended culture. I'm from Hawaii, where there's a mix of a couple dozen different islander and asian cultures.

Recently been on a Steven Moffat kick, having just watched Series 8 of Who, revisiting Coupling, and seeing Jekyll for the first time. Coupling was a lot funnier than I remember it being, but can definitely see where the charges of sexism come from. Jekyll, on the other hand, was pretty uneven; James Nesbitt is amazing, but I feel like Moffat couldn't decide between realism and over-the-top sci-fi elements and was trying too hard to write a clever story.

Intend to catch up on Sherlock before long. More on Who when BOTI returns from hiatus.

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. The core cast really worked to sell their characters, with Chris Pratt's singing and dancing at the beginning setting up the irreverent tone throughout to engender chuckles rather than eye rolls. This is probably my favorite Zoe Saldana performance, Rocket and Groot are well realized, and Dave Bautista surprisingly made Drax one of my favorite characters in it. There are a bunch of good jokes, but I don't think the script is quite as funny as it thinks it is. The final fight with Ronan is probably the most annoying to me in that regard. And I was really disappointed with the presentation of the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe overall. Ronan is just another one-note Marvel Studios villain, except more over the top. There's nothing of the Kree Empire and the Supreme Intelligence, no reason to care about his character. The Nova Corps are likewise generic, Glenn Close and John C. Reilly had jack all to do. And most puzzling, Thanos, the big villain of the entire MCU, is completely impotent. Beyond his brief appearances, he's mentioned several times and it's in the vein of someone talking about the weather. But the Guardians are some of the most interesting characters the MCU has done, it's pretty funny, and there's some great stuff (Yondu) during the final battle. One of the better Marvel Studios movies, although Winter Soldier is still the best.

There are a bunch of good jokes, but I don't think the script is quite as funny as it thinks it is. The final fight with Ronan is probably the most annoying to me in that regard.

That right there is why it's probably best to watch Guardians in a theater. Goofy nonsense like that really works when you have an entire audience there to laugh at it.

In a lot of people's minds, I think they're justifying it because its information and because, with the pictures, there's a literal human face to what happened. This is a big corporation and most people are trained to see only that. I'd say more but then I'm in danger of steering this thread wildly off course.

Actually, I think the internet as a whole was pro-nude leaks, with a side of outrage almost entirely generated by the actresses themselves. The personal information that was leaked from Sony hasn't been reported on very much, and we have yet to actually see any personal damage from it. As far as most people are aware, it's entirely a corporate problem.

Actually, I think the internet as a whole was pro-nude leaks, with a side of outrage almost entirely generated by the actresses themselves. The personal information that was leaked from Sony hasn't been reported on very much, and we have yet to actually see any personal damage from it. As far as most people are aware, it's entirely a corporate problem.

Almost four thousand lower-level employees had their social security numbers released. It's not entirely a corporate problem.

Yeah, not a corporate problem. It's a huge breach of privacy.

Guys who were a grip on a Sony-produced TV show three years ago have just had their private information made public. Let alone the private conversations.

Edit: also, you know how much someone makes, you know what projects they work on, you know their address and you know when they'll be out of their house.

My point was (1) that as far as most people are aware, it's a corporate problem, and (2) the media hasn't been reporting much on the personal information leaks or whether it's had a demonstrated negative impact on those employees yet. It certainly will, of course, but that's not the immediate fallout.

Not that the Sony thing isn't a legitimately worse thing, of course, it's just that it's not going to get as much attention from the public. There's an actual face to associate with each and every actress whose photos were leaked, but a few thousand nameless employees won't get a ton of sympathy.

After most of the major theater chains have pulled out, Sony has canceled the Christmas Day release of The Interview.

I'm going to say it right now and I'll probably have more to say later: This sets a terrible precedent. You don't like the content of something? Make threats and you can make it go away. All this over a FUCKING comedy. Team America: World Police, a movie released 10 years ago, killed Kim Jong-Il. No public outcry then. The worst part: I'm still sure this wasn't North Korea making the threats or doing the hacking. But conspiracy theories are neither here nor now. I'm just going to say that this is a big mistake and you're pretty much telling people this is how you get your way.