Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Except the movie might make more money now. You'd be surprised the number of people on Twitter and Facebook that I've seen who are saying that they wouldn't see the movie before but now want to. The more I think on it, this is a short term win for whoever hacked because they've ensured that many more people go and see it now.

Sony is really fucked here. They are going to lose at least half a billion dollars thanks to all the infrastructure they have to install and all the lawsuits. That's not even counting how many projects will never get made now because of it. It's going to be at least a decade before people stop associating the Sony name with the hack. The guys at the top aren't even getting symbolically fired over it, and this isn't the first time it's happened to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a break from editing and hang out with a houseguest we currently have for a bit. We watch some Stargate SG-1, the episode Emancipation to be precise. It's fucking terrible but, more importatly, I felt like it was very familiar ground (Female Officer Taken Captive, Forced into a repressive society, She later has to fight to the death) so I look up the writer. Kathryn Powers also wrote an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, Code of Honor. It's one thing to repurpose scripts. It's another thing to reuse the script for possibly the worst episode in a series and reuse it for another series and not even make any improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

Syfy announced today that it is developing a one-hour drama series about a futuristic prison society, “51st State,” from Fox 21 Television Studios.

Oscar nominee Craig Borten (Dallas Buyers Club), who sold the pitch to Syfy, will write the pilot. Peter Chernin (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes), Katherine Pope (“New Girl”) and Borten will serve as executive producers.

As “51st State” unfolds, the United States, confronting a prison population stretched to the limit, purchases Greenland and converts it into a frontier prison colony with male and female convicts incarcerated together.

Promised conditional freedom, the inmates are driven to the edge of their humanity when that promise, along with others, is broken. Struggling to seize control and exact revenge, reluctant heroes emerge — but what exactly are they fighting for?

Wait, you can just buy another country? Who are you buying it from?