JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"When we were kids, cartoons were on Saturday mornings, not on your phone!"

Yeah, there's an element of that, but even here he acknowledges that the vast majority of Saturday morning cartoons were crap.

I can say, however, that I do kind of miss that feeling of "this is the only time that new cartoons are on". In the days before cable and weekday syndicated first-run shows (those both became a real thing when I was 10 or so), Saturday morning was the only time you were going to see a cartoon you hadn't seen a million times before. That first September premiere was seriously the next best thing to Christmas morning. You were watching brand new cartoons, and it was so exciting that you didn't mind that they weren't actually funny or engaging.

Don't get me wrong: cartoons are a million times better now, and they're on far more often, and you have way better choices. But back then, a kid who had to be physically lifted out of bed in weekday mornings was up at 5AM all on his own on Saturdays.

Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it’s no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions – Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley’s mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley’s main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.

My experience was more along the lines of watch half a new Batman, waiting 30-40 minutes of live entertainment show guff, and then watching the second half. It was infuriating. The summer that X-men was on at 8.30 every day was one of the best I can remember.

Oh man, the WB holds in my mind and heart the best memories of a Saturday morning (or was it Sunday?). I was there watching Spider-Man 1994 when it premiered, the Tick, Life with Louie, Eek the Cat. When the New Batman Adventures premiered after Superman, it was Christmas every week. Later Pokemon and Digimon, Static Shock, Batman Beyond.

Don't really watch much television before, but the last shows I made sure I was up for were the Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice (The Greg Weisman era).

So, some general thoughts on Animaniacs after finishing the first volume:

-It's pretty obvious why Pinky and the Brain got the spin-off, they're by and large the best secondary characters.

-The Warners themselves very nicely carry on the tradition of Bugs Bunny. I'm a Wakko fan.

-I forgot how wonderful Buttons and Mindy are. Just pure, old school fun.

-Rita and Runt aren't my cup of tea, but they're pretty decent.

-...So, the fucking Hippos. Can I talk about the fucking Hippos? Nothing againist Frank Welker and Tress MacNielle, they're doing the best with what they have, but when the best cartoon starring those two characters depends on a bad Richard Lewis impression, you're not doing well. The Hip Hippos just aren't funny. The one flat note in a mostyl flawless show.

-Some of the best stuff they do are the one-off characters, Wakko's gloves, the flame, the little bluebird following the bomber plane, etc

- I want to know what the writers were smoking when they came up with the Goodfeathers. "See, man, it's Goodfellas, but they're pigeons, and Joe Pesci keeps kicking Ray Liotta's ass for no reason!"

-Slappy Squirrel is pretty great, too.

-I don't know why, but Chicken Boo just slays me everytime. He's not funny, really, but I always just laugh anyway.

-It's pretty great hearing Tom Boddett ("Here at Motel 6, we'll leave the light on for you."), for "Good Idea, Bad Idea".

-I can't believe some of the jokes they got away with (See, "Fingerprints/Finger Prince.")

-There's actually a lot of heartfelt stuff in here, too. The best example I can think of is the Rita and Runt in WWI sketch.