Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

I caught the pilot for Scorpion last night. Dopey as fuck. It's created by the Fast and Furious guy, so there were not one but TWO fairly awesome car chases. However, everyone's default mode is "I AM A GENIUS AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR HUMAN EMOTIONS" and that gets real old real fast. Like, if people like House, they'll LOVE four Houses. And they have a "normal" person who's there to be someone who can relate to regular people (i.e., be the Penny)... even though one of the geniuses is supposedly an expert in human behavior. Action? Great. Everything else? Not so much. However, Robert Patrick is in it being Robert Patrick, and Ernie Hudson was in the pilot, and it's always nice to see Ernie Hudson. This might be a "catch it if I happen to be home" show if it improves, but it's not going on my Hulu queue.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forever - A new show on ABC about a guy that lives forever. I like the show but I don't know if I can get past the stupidity of the writing. It's basically a procedural drama where the police break every rule of investigating crimes. The medical examiner becomes a suspect? That's ok. He'll just continue working on the body, and for the hell of it let's have him ride along with the detective to help investigate not five minutes after being questioned as the main suspect.

According to Kevin Smith, the spectacular critical and commercial failure of Tusk is leading him to the funding for Clerks 3.

Proving that every walrus-man-shaped cloud has a vulgar, slacker-shaped silver lining, Kevin Smith is claiming that his made-on-a-dare movie Tusk has paved the way for him to finally make Clerks III.

The Weinstein Company, which owns the rights to the Clerks films, passed on funding the third installment earlier this year. But even though Tusk received only middling reviews and has tanked at the box office, the spectacle of staring at Justin Long’s hideous mustache while Michael Parks stuffs him into a walrus suit has garnered a great deal of attention for Smith’s favorite pet cause: reminding people that Kevin Smith exists, and will make movies if you give him some money.

Talking last week on his podcast Hollywood Babble-On, Smith discussed the difficulties of securing funds for the conclusion to his epic trilogy about aging, maturity, and people having sex with corpses and donkeys, and how Tusk turned all that around:

“A year and change ago I was desperately trying to get
Clerks III
made for the 20th anniversary and that desperation—I must have reeked of it, because I couldn’t fucking find money and shit. But it was
Tusk,
people going ‘Holy fuck, what else do you have?’ and I was like
Clerks III
and they’re like ‘done’. So, everybody that’s like, ‘He failed, he failed,’ I’m like ‘Thank you, I failed into doing
Clerks III
.”

Smith’s films have always had an autobiographical element, so it remains to be seen whether Clerks III will see protagonists Randall and Dante as podcasters who manage to fail upward, all while celebrating meaningless anniversaries that no one else cares about.

The show is so much better as an adult, and it's the Tex Avery slapstick mixed with a who's who of voice actors: Rob Paulsen, Tress McNeill, Frank Welker, Maurice LaMauche, Jim Cummings, Jess Harnell, Paul Rugg, Nancy Cartwright, Bernadette Peters, it's just wild.