Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At one point, Hannah and I were going to give Carrie the treatment we've been giving the various princess movies where we compare the different versions of the story. Between the novel, the two movies, the musical (the original version and the revival from a couple of years back), and the TV Movie/failed backdoor pilot for a few years ago, it's been done a lot for a novel that came out in 1974. Each version is mostly different in it's execution with only the original and the 2013 remake really feeling very close in how it was done but there's still enough of a difference.

Hulu is doing the thing where it gives me two free weeks of +, and then I watch all the TV possible and then cancel at the absolute last minute. What should I be catching up on? So far Bob's Burgers, Brooklyn 99, Parks and Rec, and Agent Carter (for the sake of playing it on repeat and boosting its numbers) are in the queue.

I gave Better Call Saul two episodes. The thing is, it's wonderfully acted. Almost every scene has a great moment of acting and McKean and Odenkirk are brilliant. The problem is that there is almost a complete lack of comedy OR dramatic tension. There were more laughs in one appearance of Saul in Breaking Bad than there are in the first two episodes. I'm out.

I gave Better Call Saul two episodes. The thing is, it's wonderfully acted. Almost every scene has a great moment of acting and McKean and Odenkirk are brilliant. The problem is that there is almost a complete lack of comedy OR dramatic tension. There were more laughs in one appearance of Saul in Breaking Bad than there are in the first two episodes. I'm out.

I think its the awkward position of wanting to appeal to old fans while having a different show that has its own merits. So far there have been two little treats that reward BB watchers but I agree it's yet to find its feet. Laughs and/or drama is very few and far between and the first three episodes mostly establish what the character of Jimmy is like at this point in time and the people around him.

I'm sticking around because I'm still interested in seeing how he changes and I trust that it's building and will have more punch to it soon enough.