DC reboot

dc20willsave

Maybe I dropped Earth-2 a bit to soon, when all I'm hearing are good reviews of the book, for what it is (A book about the entire Earth-2) and not a book I thought it was, or was lead to believe (The rebooted JSA) especially, when things [post=Things]http://www.bleedingc...ter']Things like this are revealed. Which at the very least, sound interesting.

Maybe I'll pick up that first trade, that's going for pretty cheap pre-order on Amazon.

Edit: One day I'll be able to post a proper link. One day.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been hearing good things about the "Death of the Family" Batman arc. (The artwork I've seen has been amazing.) Is it worth checking out?

The main Batman series has been really good, Detective Comics is getting rave reviews for the side story they are playing out, but everything else, you can probably miss.

I'd recommend going back and reading all of Scott Snyder's Batman work, starting with The Black Mirror (when Dick was Batman), Gates of Gotham, and then The Court of Owls/Night of the Owls, which just wrapped up earlier this year. None of it thus far has been necessary to follow Death of the Family, but it's all great stuff that's worth reading, and it's always nice to have that ongoing story continuity.

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely loved Batman #17. I suggest everyone read it twice.

I read it, thought it was good, but also kind of rushed at times. However, Bruce's reveal at the end, which Bleeding Cool have posted for anyone interested was quite interesting:

Bruce revealed himself to the Joker early on in his career, to see how he'd react, or even look at who the man behind the mask was, and Joker just didn't care. He doesn't care about Bruce Wayne being Batman, he just enjoys having fun at other people's expense.

And I can't wait for his Riddler story.

The way I read it was that Bruce thought Joker already knew who he was at the time (because of the card in the cave), so he didn't think he was "revealing" anything. It wasn't until he saw how little Joker cared about Bruce Wayne that he realized Joker never actually went inside the cave.

Overall, yeah, I thought it was great. If this trend keeps going, Scott Snyder might end up being known as one of the best Batman writers of all time.

I stopped GL a while ago, the plans of the guardians are interesting but the 20 issues of running around before that always seems inconsequential, and this is about the 5th time they've gone through that formula.

The Death of the Family was ok I guess, but I don't get why this is some big final battle with the Joker when they've only just rebooted the universe. I mean, honestly there's no difference between this and the pre-new DC line. It seems like a waste to go this far this early on with Bruces' nemesis.

The Death of the Family was ok I guess, but I don't get why this is some big final battle with the Joker when they've only just rebooted the universe. I mean, honestly there's no difference between this and the pre-new DC line. It seems like a waste to go this far this early on with Bruces' nemesis.

At the very least, The Killing Joke and, to some degree, A Death in the Family are still considered canon (they're repeatedly referenced in Batgirl and Red Hood); Death of the Family is more a sequel of sorts to those stories.

Well... sort of. I think The Killing Joke, A Death in the Family, (maybe Under The Hood? I don't think it's been mentioned yet...) and Morrison's Damian stories are the only things that carried over. (Mostly because they're essential for characters like Jason, Damian, and this version of Barbara to make sense) The rest I think it's assumed aren't part of the New 52. The #0 issues kind of explained that almost everything is different now. Batgirl #0 has an entirely original origin for Batgirl, then ends with The Killing Joke. So I think we're supposed to assume that a select few things have been lifted from past continuity, not that it's literally the same continuity merely altered.

Well... sort of. I think The Killing Joke, A Death in the Family, (maybe Under The Hood? I don't think it's been mentioned yet...) and Morrison's Damian stories are the only things that carried over. (Mostly because they're essential for characters like Jason, Damian, and this version of Barbara to make sense) The rest I think it's assumed aren't part of the New 52. The #0 issues kind of explained that almost everything is different now. Batgirl #0 has an entirely original origin for Batgirl, then ends with The Killing Joke. So I think we're supposed to assume that a select few things have been lifted from past continuity, not that it's literally the same continuity merely altered.

See, I originally thought everything was carried over, and now, after reading your "What's in, what's out" post, I think it's a fucking mess.

I've used this analogy before, but it's still apt:

Just replace Romans with "What can we keep when rebooting the universe?" and you've got DC's editorial team.

Following up on the somewhat surprise revelation that long-time writerGeoff Johns was exiting the title after 9 years in May, and the follow-up reveal that all the Green Lantern 'family" title creative teams were also exiting their titles in May as well, DC Comics has announced the new creative teams for the titles, including a new series.

Wednesday morning, DC announced to MTV Geek that Green Lantern will now be carried by Robert Venditti and Billy Tan. Green Lantern Corps is coming from Joshua Hale Fialkov and Bernard Chang. Fialkov is also picking up Red Lanterns with Alessandro Vitti on art. Green Lantern: New Guardians continues with new writer Justin Jordan and artist Brad Walker. Finally, the surprise new title Larfleeze takes all the writers and artists ever... just kidding, the greediest lantern gets Keith Giffen writing and Scott Kollins on art.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-green-lantern-creative-team.html