The Omniverse Draft!

Dread

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night was approaching quickly, but the humidity wasn't letting up.

The band made their way through the throngs of people on Bourbon Street, most already drunk. Gabe tried not to look at the scantily-clad young women he passed as he helped Valerie weave through the crowd of people. She was a little shocked by all the debauchery.

Really, they were trying to catch up to Lila, who single-mindedly pushed through the masses towards an unknown goal.

Seven stood far back on the sidewalk tapping his toe to an old black blues man playing an electric guitar with only two strings. The howling sadness tore through the dusk like nothing he'd ever heard. Sometimes, saving reality can wait a few minutes.

Gabe and Valerie followed Lila into a non-descript building with the words Maison Bourbon emblazoned over the door. They were met by dark lighting, brick walls and gaudy red carpet that seemed to soak in all other light.

On stage, a three-piece band backed a saxophone player whose melody howled more than sung. It was beautiful and haunting all at the same time. The man responsible for it lurched across the stage, long strands of black hair, matted with sweat, falling in his face and wrapping around his golden instrument.

“A saxophone?” Gabe asked. “Has nobody seen Lost Boys? Saxes are lame.”

“What's Lost Boys?” Val asked.

“If you can listen to that,” said Seven from behind them all, “and say that saxes are lame, then you probably don't belong here.”

Gabe frowned sheepishly as he saw tears streaming from Seven's eyes.

“Thank you,” the Cajun-accented man with the saxophone said quietly into the microphone before waving to an extremely appreciative crowd and walking to the side of the stage.

“Don't see a lot of afternoon jazz shows where I come from,” Lila said to the man as he tucked his saxophone into its carrying case.

He looked up quickly at her and then went back to packing his horn away.

“Everyone dress like an extra in Mad Max where you come from too?”

Lila steamed as her gathered bandmates tried to contain their laughter.

“'Sides, most people 'round here know that I got more important things to do come nightfall.”

The long-haired man tucked his saxophone to the side of the stage and took off his black dress shirt. Underneath, he wore a black sleeveless T-shirt with a symbol of a man casting a shadow on the front.

“That's what we're here about,” Lila continued.

“Darque?” he asked.

“Pitch black,” Seven replied.

The man put on a pointed mask and fingerless gloves.

“Then let's go.”

“Wait,” Lila said, “bring your saxophone. We're going to need it.”

shadowman.jpg

Here's my problem, the voice inside her head said as she swooped in to surprise the small grouping of cybernetic terrorists. Her guns barked, each bullet reaching key exposed spots areas in their wetware, splattering the soft tissue and shattering the bones underneath.

In gathering up this team, I've chosen certain members with skills essential to getting the job done--but they're fragile. Even one of the posthumans is so delicate he'd break like glass if the wrong psychopath comes at him in the right way.

She opened her mouth to let out an ear-shattering shriek. This was her statement of existence and her battlecry. Two of the terrorists who remained alive turned weapons larger than they should be able to carry on her and fired--but she was already gone, powerful wings carrying her out of the blast range.

They need a bodyguard. They need someone who can keep them alive under the most adverse conditions. Now at first, I had thought of getting a real bruiser of an operative...but then I realized that speed and accuracy might be the best way to go.

As the woman lit down on the ground of the military compound, her eyes were already on the object she was set to shut down. She strode forward, expending the last bullets in the clips of each gun on routing the decidedly non-cybernetic terrorists charging toward her. "You are quite talkative for a figment of my imagination."

The other way around, I would think, the voice in her head muttered before speaking up. You are the fastest flying mammal on Earth, Shen. You can keep an eye on my band of revisionists and strike from the air in the time it takes for some idiot with a gun to think about pulling the trigger. You are perfect for the job.

"I have a job," the Asian woman shot back. She twitched slightly and swung to the left, letting one of her wings knock a rapidly approaching miscreant off his feet. With one fast, blindingly quick move, she dropped the used clip to the ground, reloaded her gun, and shot the man in the knee. He howled in pain.

A job where you swore to defend the world. The job I offer you is one where you defend all the worlds--this one, the ones of your fellow team members, and more than you can possibly imagine.

She approached the strange object which resembled a tall safe, with a number of color coded dials on its front. "I have a bioweapon to disarm, voice."

Understood. But when you're done, go to the nearest door and walk through. You'll find me and your new team waiting for you.

"You seem quite confident, voice."

I am. I know you intimately.

"So you're a stalker," she sneered as she kneeled down before the device.

Not a stalker, per se. Let's say...a patron.

Swift.jpg

Quinn didn't like this Earth. From the moment he stepped out of the gateway and into the midnight-cloaked forest, he could feel something in the dark. Something lurking. Hunting. Patiently waiting to strike. It wasn't the sparkling-blue, six-legged dog-thing sniffing at his toes, either. Something else was out there, in the shadows. And that's what Quinn feared. Yet, that's what he needed to make contact with.

Without warning, a white-blue beam silently strikes the dog-thing. Despite being no bigger than a month-old terrier, the creature unleashes an unrelenting lion's roar. Winching in pain, Quinn covers his ears and lets out his own yell. The entire ordeal last no more than ten seconds, but, to the man from another world, they seem to last minutes. Hours, even. The tiny beast stumbles backwards on his stumpy legs, and collapses with a whimper.

From the dark, a voice calls out: "Son, you have no idea how much danger you just avoided."

Uncovering his ears and relaxing his tense muscles, Quinn asks, "Who's there?"

"You're welcome, by the way." The voice moves closer, but Quinn hears no footsteps.

The scientist scans the woods, his blue eyes straining to pierce the never-ending night. But nothing. All he can see are redwoods. Redwoods and nothing.

"Funny thing is," the voice, still closer, continues, "you look human, and you smell human —"

Quinn's interjects, his voices rising to a slight whine, "You can smell me?"

The voices pays his question no mind. "You even sound human. Californian. San Franciscan, I believe. Aliens and androids, they can never quite get the dialect." Closer and closer, but still no footsteps. Not even a snapping twig, "But every instinct I have tells me you are not from around here." Cool metal touches Quinn's neck, and he knows from experience what it is. "Are you?"

A hard lump fills his throat. He forces his voice past it, "No, sir."

"I'm gonna count to ten. One"

"What?"

"Two."

"What are you —"

"Explain yourself. Five."

"You skipped three and four!"

"Six." The gun at the base of Quinn's neck begins to hum as the man primes it.

In one breath, Quinn blurts, "IcomefromanotherrealityandIneedyourhelptosaveit!"

"Seven."

"But I told you!"

"Why me? Eight."

"We think it might be paranormal." The humming grows louder.

"Nine."

"We need you to track the source!"

The gun continues to hum. And hum. One long, near-silent hum that Quinn realizes could be the last thing he hears. He doesn't want that. Not that. So he stretches out his hearing to the woods, listening for anything: an owl hooting, crickets chirping, the wind. Even the damn wind! But nothing! Only the humming.

With a whirr, the gun powers down.

"Works for me."

Quinn sighs. Whatever strength he had in his legs melts away, leaving rubbery stumps beneath him. He's barely able to turn around, but when he does he sees an older man with a lived-in face standing before him. His suit is simple, not unlike Quinn's: black jacket and pants, white shirt, black tie. And a pair of black sunglasses.

"What's your name, ace?"

"Quinn Mallory. And you're Ke —"

"If you say my name, I will shoot your face." It's not a threat. It's a fact. And Quinn knows it. "The only name you need to know is Kay. Agent K."

agent-k.jpg

Three things:

01. The Men in Black was not published by Marvel. It was published by Aircel, which was bought by Malibu, which was bought by Marvel.

02. Marvel's Men in Black comic was an adaptation / continuation of the movie. I'm looking at the original source material.

03. Yes, I'm cheating a little by trying to write this Agent K with Tommy Lee Jones' speech pattern, but that's the voice I hear when I write him.

New Port City, Today

The Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS, stepped over a pile of Frog Monsters, and looked at the scatily clad woman, obviously some kinda hooker. She looked back and started to say something.

"No," The Doctor said.

He stepped back into the TARDIS and it Vroop-Vrooped away. Poor Bomb Queen. She sucks. The Frog Creatures get up and eat her. I'm sure one of the idiots who read her book get off on this.

rejectedc.jpg

Round 6 Pick: I'll pick it later today but I've wanted to do this since the beginning. Dan, go ahead and pick.