The Omniverse Draft!

Dread

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Oooh! It stinks!”

Valerie’s voice was nasally echoing through the halls of the run-down apartment building the band had just entered.

“Woof!” Seven barked, “it’s like a damned litter box in here.”

“It’s not that bad,” Shadow Man said leading the way down the darkened corridor.

“Says the guy who’s used to Bourbon Street’s particularly fragrant morning mix of urine and vomit lining the sidewalks?”

He turned around to look at Lila, whose quip emerged from her mouth without thought.

His mouth opened, but he decided against speaking and turned to continue leading the band through the darkness.

Lila turned and gave a comical frown to her other bandmates. Only Gabe noticed; he bit his cheek to refrain from laughing.

The band lined up behind Shadow Man at an apartment door with cracking green paint.

“This is it,” Lila said. Her bizarre interdimensional intuition had been working overtime since the douchebag hit her with that blast of energy.

Shadow Man backed up and reared a leg, winding up to kick the door down.

“Wait!” Val shouted.

She stepped forward and knocked lightly on the door the dark avenger of the French Quarter was about to turn into kindling.

“’S fucking open!”

The voice that bellowed from inside the apartment wasn’t kidding. The deadlatch was either broken or not engaged and the door slowly swung open from the gentle force of Val’s knocking.

The band entered the apartment, awash in the emboldened stench of used cat litter.

Empty bottles and roaches – of the marijuana variety – littered the coffee table, but it was the site of the couch beside it that the band took notice of.

Fritz_the_cat_by_Rovertarthead.png

“Muh-rowwwwww, pussycat! Come to daddy!” the cat on the couch said as he leered through a haze of pot smoke. “Your kind are usually filthy crows where I come from, but I have to say: with the ears and tail, you humans are almost perfect.”

Valerie recoiled from his lecherous advances as Gabe stepped forward.

“Easy, Morris, or we’re going to find out how many lives you really have!”

“Gabe,” Lila shot him a look before continuing, “we need your help, Mister...”

“Fritz,” he said standing up from the couch on wobbly legs, “the Cat. A cat, I mean. Or whatever. How can I help?”

“Oh boy,” Shadow Man said to no one in particular.

“He may live a ‘rock ‘n roll’ lifestyle,” Seven said, “but how is he supposed to play with us?”

“Nnh!” Fritz scratched at his crotch and licked the back of his paw before holding it up in front of the gathered band. “The puppies aren’t just utilitarian, you know? I played some guitar in my day. Enough to get me some tail, if you know what I mean?”

Valerie recoiled again.

“A cat,” Lila said matter-of-factly, “on rhythm guitar. I’ve heard worse.”

"'S fuckin' unbelievable?!"

"What?" Lila asked incredulously.

“You lot! That’s what! I’m sitting here trying to figure out what to do with my latter-period Kula Shaker seven inches, and you lot pop in!”

The man was expecting a response, but the only thing that hung in the air beside cigarette smoke was confusion.

“Christ! ‘Gits....I know who ye are!”

The band was taken aback.

“Most of ye, anyway. Not sure who Felix here is.”

“It’s Fritz, you fucktard,” the cat muttered while trying to spark a joint. “Was about to nail a record deal in the early sixties til I brought this bird groupie home and ate her.”

“You old dog, you! Figuratively speaking of course. Though I have to admit being a little befuddled as to what role oral sex played in you losing a record deal?”

“No, you limey bastard! The groupie was a bird! And I ate her. Moment of weakness...”

“Movin’ on then! Ye’re Gabe. Ye drum for the Joy Buzzards. Good solid, if a little naff, power pop. Buzzcocks, yeah?”

“Yeah,” Gabe assented to loving the early punk band before really realizing what was happening.”

“You, Christ’s sake, man! Ye’re Red Rocket Seven. Please, don’t let me forget to get you to sign the split LP ye did with the Kinks. Right solid, that one.”

“N ye’re a Pussycat, yeah? Good American pre-Beatles rock and roll, that is.”

“Why, thanks!” Val blushed.

“Ye’re Jack Boniface. Underground sax, guy. Give Zorn a run fer his money! Releases’re hard to find, but I always find a way.”

“And Lila, best days’re beyond ya at this point. Still a fit bird and all. When’s the last album you recorded? 1992?”

“Last one released on earth, anyway. Look,” she said biting past the anger, “we’re putting a band together, and we need your help. I’m assuming because of your...talent, and because you know who we are, that you understand the threat that’s on the horizon?”

“I’ve had an horrific dreamquest vision or two, impending doom, end of the world an’ all that. If ye’re a band, you got a name? Manic Street Preachers is taken.”

“No name,” Lila said, “but we could use a manager who can work a little magic.”

phonogram+-+come+on+in.jpg

David Kohl, Phonomancer (from Phonogram)