Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

Spider-Man: Far From Home - It might be the good will of the second half, but I thought this was great. Again, there's some not-Spidey elements there, but the core is very much in the spirit of the character.

I feel like the MCU tie-ins were at first, a way to ingratiate the character with the audience and integrate him into the larger universe, but now they're going back to center with the core appeal of the character.

Spoiler

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Snap/Blip is taken as a joke, the Avengers get a tongue-in-cheek send-off at the beginning, Peter dodges Nick Fury the whole time, May and Happy's "relationship" wasn't seen the same way by both characters. By the end, Spidey's swinging around Manhattan with his traditional love interest, his archnemesis is prominent, and he's possibly distrusted by the public.

Mysterio as yet another villain created by Tony Stark might be a bit much, but as far as a mistake created by a previous generation that a teenager has to deal with, it's relevant. He's possibly the best villain in a Spider-Man movie so far.

Peter himself, I just feel the movie focuses too much on making him likable instead of deep. Him debating whether to leave the opera or stay, and beating himself up while he's being stitched up are the extent of his emotional depth. Still, he IS exceedingly likable, Tom Holland does a great job as always. Five appearances later, I think I can say this isn't my preferred Spidey since they don't seem to be interested in the full spectrum of Peter's personality, but I'm ready to watch more of him.

There's a lot to unpack here, but I think it's comfortably in the upper tier of Spidey movies.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bipolar Rock 'N' Roller - A documentary on Mauro Ranallo and mental illness.  I cannot say there is any new (to me) information here.  I heard quite a few interviews Mauro did on the promotional tour.  That said, in this case seeing has a bigger impact that hearing.  Showtime uploaded it to their YouTube so worth the 70 minutes.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, The Master said:

Supergirl (The 124-minute version): What the actual hell was this? Two of the most powerful people on Earth fight over... a man? 🤮

Haha yeah, it's godawful. I watched that for the first time this time last year in the hotel during Comic-Con.

Batman Vs TMNT: My friends hadn't seen it and I figured I should watch it sober. Half thinking next year, I should keep track of how many movies I watch drunk.

Spider-Man: Far From Home: Like a lot of Marvel films since Guardians did so well, there's a little too much comedy in the film but there are so many parts that I love regardless of that. Jake Gyllenhaal is very charming for the entire film and is very great.

Spoiler

The entire theater cheered when J.K. Simmons showed up during the mid-credits cameo for the record and that's during a Sunday morning showing so I can only imagine what one of the opening night.

Films: 78
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:
Repeats: 3

Shit...been a while since I updated this. Might be missing something here.

Rondo: review in this week's episode of DM

Zombie Fighter: feature for the film festival.

Reed Unbound: the Joel M Reed Story: documentary for the festival

Iron Sky: The Coming Race: research for an interview

Features: 61

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 6

Rewatches: 4

Spider-Man: Far From Home: this was pretty excellent. It was cute like the first one, but the action was insane. The visual aspect of the battle with the villain was next level. I never expected to see comic book stuff like that in a Marvel movie until tonight. Beautiful.

Mysterio

fixed the bullshit with Mandarin, because THAT'S how you create a diversionary villain.

It's only appropriate that it all happened after Tony died. The mid-credit stinger was amazing. The post-credits thing was horseshit, as it so often is.

Features: 62

Documentaries: 6

Final Destination 4: It's like they tried to make a movie that makes as little sense as possible. I won't go into all of the things that are wrong with it, because that has already been done. Still fun though.

The Rage: Carrie 2: They did not do a good job of establishing the main protagonist as someone who has been tortured and was ready to snap, like they did in the original movie. But it's worth a watch, and it is free on YouTube Movies.

Point Blank: an action movie as generic as the title. I won't say anymore as I may be reviewing this.

Superbad: watched this with my sons. It holds up. Some really funny shit in this.

We Sold Our Souls for Rock N' Roll: this may as well be called The Decline of Western Civilization: The Nu-Metal Years. Penelope Spheeris apparently followed Ozzfest on tour in 1999 (the year I saw it) and made a documentary that has never seen the light of day until now. Someone dumped it on YouTube. I'm guessing her daughter who notoriously does not give a fuck. This was really fun. Spheeris captures live bands better than any director. Bald and pure. She also exposes shitty live bands for who they are: shitty live bands. Decline I was The Germs and this movie was Deftones. Lots of fun memories watching this one.

Features: 64

Documentaries: 7

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods: I've seen most of the Dragon Ball movies. This might be the one that felt most like a movie and less like an extra long episode/extra short story arc of Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F: This... was good but was back to the kind of formula of feeling like an extra long episode/extra short story arc of Dragon Ball.

The Phantom of the Opera: Honestly, I was drunk and wanted to watch a musical. It's okay but has some real problems.

Films: 81
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Shazam: Very fun movie, and I was surprised to see them draw inspiration from an obscure source like Flashpoint.

Spoiler

I really wish they could have got Henry Cavill at the end when Superman showed up, but I am happy this is in the DCEU.

DCEU movies are much better than they get credit for being.

My only problem is the level of violence. I don't have a problem with violence in movies, but I wish a movie like Shazam could be a little more kid-friendly.

Films Watched: 21

Ralph Breaks The Internet: I didn't hate it. I didn't love it either. The amount of product promotion kind of started to get to me.

Batman: Hush: I try not to be that guy who says, "They changed it and now it sucks" but some of the changes they made to the adaptation were kind of, well, bad. It didn't help that Hush isn't exactly a great story to begin with.

Us: Not quite as strong as Get Out but still pretty interesting. Lupita Nyong'o deserves a Best Actress nomination.

Films: 84
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Yeah Hush wasn't great, which is a shame because these James Tucker movies have been on a solid uphill roll since Batman: Bad Blood, and have even been good since the first Teen Titans movie. But it was really soulless and straightforward, and not as interesting as it wasn't to be.

Part of the problem is that while the comic book story, ultimately, isn't anything Earth-shattering, it serves as a terrific Batman-by-numbers adventure, chronicling his history, his villains and allies, and his perspective. Jeph Loeb puts in a lot of work into Bruce's skull, and we get perspectives on his thoughts about Superman, about Nightwing, and about Selina. Because this film A) lacked the narration, and B) lacked much of the continuity from the comics, most of the big scenes fell flat. Batman beating the shit out of the Joker watches like it happens because it's the Joker, not that Tommy Elliot was another in a long list of victims. Even Gordon is robbed of gravitas because both TKJ and NML are not referenced. It just doesn't work as well.

Spoiler

The twist reveal of Riddler as Hush, I understand how they came to it. Riddler's involvement was the bigger twist in the comic, and Hush's identity was always really weak as the answer to the mystery, because it was too obvious. But again, we haven't seen Riddler in this series before, so while it was a neat idea it didn't land as hard as it should've. Also Riddler's at least a B-lister, in my opinion.

RCO257.jpg

I'm doing a very bad job of keeping track of all the movies I'm watching. This troubles me.

Top Gun: I haven't seen this since it first came out on video, but I got it in a bundle of steenboks I bought and it's one of my girlfriend's favourites, so we watched it together. It was a lot of fun. Some cheese. Good lord, drunken hippie Meg Ryan...

Mission Impossible: Fallout: good. These movies are basically all the same.

Last Action Hero: solid. A ton of cheese, but this is really fun meta stuff before meta was popular. The lead kid is garbage, vet Arnold is great. Also, Tywin Lannister is the big band and that's fun. TONS of character actors here. Really fun.

Features: 68

Documentaries: 7

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: An entertaining but needlessly long watch that threatens to be a slog, even when it's enjoyable. This is Tarantino's most indulgent film to date. Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio are terrific, it's awesome watching them work. But the film is about 1/3 pointless driving montages. If you dig late 60s Hollywood, then this will be a thrill, and even if not it's quite a trip of a movie. But it's far from his best. And Margot Robie's Sharon Tate recalled Gwen Stacy from Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross' Marvels in how unfailingly angelic she was portrayed. Also, the feet fetish in this flick is in full force.

Inglorious Basterds: This is one of those films that every failed to result in a "WHAT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT?!" response from people whenever it came up in conversation. Also very long, but this one watched quicker than "Hollywood" did. Similarly to that movie, it's indulgent fanfiction but there is a conversation about the presentation of violence occurring throughout. The Basterds are equivalent to the Nazis and the brutal punishment displayed in the film illustrates that immediately. It's one of the more subversive films of Tarantino's I've seen, yet judging by its reputation, no one seems to be in on the joke at all.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, Donomark said:

Inglorious Basterds: This is one of those films that every failed to result in a "WHAT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT?!" response from people whenever it came up in conversation. Also very long, but this one watched quicker than "Hollywood" did. Similarly to that movie, it's indulgent fanfiction but there is a conversation about the presentation of violence occurring throughout. The Basterds are equivalent to the Nazis and the brutal punishment displayed in the film illustrates that immediately. It's one of the more subversive films of Tarantino's I've seen, yet judging by its reputation, no one seems to be in on the joke at all.

I could watch that movie anytime solely for Christoph Waltz's performance.