X-Men 3

MaxPower

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actor Bill Duke talked to the LA Daily News about starring in director Brett Ratner's X-Men 3:

More recently, Duke acted in Brett Ratner's "X-Men 3," which he claims will differ quite a bit from the first two. "I think you're going to find a lot of levels to this movie. Brett brings a certain amount of detail, and he's really committed to telling a story. Also, he takes a great deal of time with the actors and their performance," adds Duke, "like Kelsey Grammer - he's wonderful. He has to wear this costume that weighs at least 15 to 20 pounds" to play the blue-furred Beast. Adds Duke with a laugh, "I don't think you're going to see any Frasier up in there!"

Rigth, 'cause the first two had no layers / depth. As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, they were very shallow action-comedy romps -- unlike Ratner's dramatic masterpiece, Rush Hour.

• 4 weeks later...
beast_01.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, Dr Frasier Crane.

I'll go to see X3, no doubt, but you've really got to wonder whether Ratner's up to the job, given the amount of characters he's adding to an already expansive cast. As much as I hated Berry's extensive gripes about screentime, she isn't far wrong about how much time each character was getting.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a detailed recap for those with slow connections. THIS DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS!

- The President of the United States says something must be done about the mutants.

- Mystique is seen in shackles, presumably jailed by the United States.

- Magneto gives an impassioned speech about brotherhood, and the human desire to destroy mutants.

- Cyclops stares longingly over the lake where Jean died.

- Iceman freezes a pond and makes kissy faces with Kitty Pryde.

- Rogue looks sad.

- Magneto continues his speech, asking, "Who do you stand with?"

- Beast reveals that a "mutant cure" has been created.

- Xavier, Storm, Logan and Rogue get word of the so-called cure. They're not happy.

- Magneto frees Mystique.

- The cure is a mutant (Leech).

- Someone is revealed to be "more powerful" than Magneto. (They want you to think it's Leech, but I presume it's actually Phoenix / Jean.)

- Cyclops unleashes his power.

- Jean Grey is found alive.

- Xavier is scared of Jean: "She has to be controlled."

- Angle is about to be cured (or that's what it looks like), and he bursts free.

- Jean escapes from the lower levels of the mansion, and tosses Logan into a wall.

- Xavier (seemingly) communicates with everyone on the planet: "You have no idea what is upon us now."

- Magneto has a new ally: Jean Grey!

- The Brotherhood (Magneto, Jean, Juggernaut, Pyro, et al.) storms the streets.

- Wolverine: "Magneto's got an army out there. You go to war, you might not come home. She [Kitty] might not come home! You ready for that?"

- A funeral. (Xavier is conspicuously absent.)

- Storm demands someone choose a side.

- Dozens (hundreds?) of mutants battle in the streets.

- Wolverine kills someone.

- Magneto destroys the Golden Gate Bridge.

- Random clips: Pyro lights something on fire; Juggernaut chases Kitty.

- Another Magneto speech: "They wish to cure us. I say we are the cure!"

- Jean confronts Xavier, making him rise from his chair!

- Logan tries to reach Jean: "Look at me, Jean! We can help you!"

- Leech looks longingly at the camera / Beast.

- Beast's hand turns normal.

- Storm and Logan cry over Xavier's empty wheelchair.

- Logan tries to reach Jean (some more): "We can fix this! We can make it like it was. Stay with me!"

- Magneto looks very scared.

- Xavier closes his eyes, preparing to face his own death.

- Jean (to Logan): "Please... kill me."

The Cast Argue

Has anyone heard this snippet? Basically Ian McKellen has taken to this movie very personally, with the view that "curing" mutants is the same as some people trying to cure gays. If this rumour is true you can't help but be excited about this movie. The man is an amazing actor on a bad day, so if he is charging his performance in this movie with his own personal history, it is going to be amazing...

Hugh Jackson makes a good comment about Rogues conflict with the central issue of the film. Yeah, I guess you could say that I am very excited by this, so much so that some people on this board may need to prepare themselves for some humble pie, after comments they made about Mr Rattner :)

Hey, if this one's better than the first two, I'll gladly take back all the things I said about the director. However, one has to remember that these actors have to hype the film as if it's the best thing ever. Hell, Halle Berry did just the same with Catwoman, and look at how that turned out.

The subject matter will touch people and undoubtedly fueled McKellen's performance, but I'm still leery. Why? While the teaser looked great, the actual trailer didn't do it for me. We'll see come May.

You right about people hyping something, I even thought the word 'work' when reading it (stupid wreslting!). Like I said previously though, as long as they concentrate on Wolverine, Magneto and Jean Grey, they can't fuck it up. The trailer looks like that is what they are doing, so I'm still going to be optimistic.