Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Very Deadly Bounty Hunter cracked me up.

Basically single handedly won our end of year festive quiz for my team in class today. Most of it was relating to the visions of the future topic we've been covering, so it was all to do with sci-fi stuff. Almost no-one knew who Judge Dredd was or what comics he's in (2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine) but crucially for two vital points I could name both Dan Dare and the Mekon from an old comic image, although I couldn't remember their publication title, the Eagle.

Also got 7/8 on the human, cyborg or robot round by being pedantic about the nature of the Terminator. Technically its a cyborg, it has human flesh and skin.

Our group got prizes, but the copy of idiocracy I had my eye on got nabbed so I wound up with a battered copy of 1984 instead.

Might see if I can get my hands on a copy of the quiz, it'd be fun to see how the earth-2 crew do on it.

Apology of the Year

News.com.au:

YESTERDAY, a news.com.au article incorrectly stated that the Star Trek starship USS Enterprise-E, otherwise known as model NNC-1701-E, was the successor to Captain Kirk's original USS Enterprise.

It has since been brought to our attention that the NNC-1701-E in fact came two models after Captain Kirk retired and was under the command of Captain Jean Luc Picard.

User "Your Mum's Lunch" led the charge of those who correctly pointed out that after losing the original Enterprise to the Klingons, Captain Kirk was given the Excelsior Class Enterprise-B as a stop-gap measure until the refit of the Enterprise-A was completed.

Kirk's last ship was the Ambassador Class Enterprise-C.

Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E were in fact, the first of the Galaxy Class models and were under the command of Captain Picard.

There were also some concerns about whether the incorrect use of the term "hyperspace" in describing warp drive technology may harm the original Star Trek concept, particularly the books.

News.com.au apologises unreservedly for the error.

There was no intention whatsoever to suggest Captain Kirk may have commanded the Galaxy Class Starships Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E.

Any damage to the Star Trek brand incurred by the use of the term "hyperspace" is regretful.

No malice was intended and a correction to the original article will be made.

We also agree that Patrick Stewart is a handsome man, a sentiment expressed by several readers.

Addendum – We're also sorry for any errors in this apology.

from a much bigger article about mistakes in the media at this website

And they screwed up the correction:

- It's NCC-1701. Not NNC-1701.

- Kirk was given the NCC-1701-A, not B, after he blew up the NCC-1701.

- The NCC-1701-B was never captained by Kirk, but rather Captain Harriman.

- Kirk was dead by the time the NCC-1701-C came around. The C was the ship from "Yesterday's Enterprise," the TNG episode.

- The NCC-1701-E is a Sovereign Class ship, not Galaxy Class.

- And obviously, the E was not two models after Kirk retired.

And they screwed up the correction:

- It's NCC-1701. Not NNC-1701.

- Kirk was given the NCC-1701-A, not B, after he blew up the NCC-1701.

- The NCC-1701-B was never captained by Kirk, but rather Captain Harriman.

- Kirk was in the nexus by the time the NCC-1701-C came around. The C was the ship from "Yesterday's Enterprise," the TNG episode.

- The NCC-1701-E is a Sovereign Class ship, not Galaxy Class.

- And obviously, the E was not two models after Kirk retired.

And yes, I am a geek.