The Music Thread

Slowly listening to more and more hip hop. I've spent the past few weeks constantly listening to The Root's Rising Down and Game Plan, and this weekend I bought GZA's Liquid Swords, Common's Like Water for Chocolate and Danger Doom's The Mouse and the Mask.

And I like this track enough that I'll be buying Ghostface Killah's Fishscale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_BsCiJ6Sc

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, they’re quite popular down here. They’re also one of the few Australian hip hop groups I can stand.

And I’ll take on your other suggestions too. I’ve listened to a bit of Aesop Rock and Atmosphere, and Lady Sovereign gets a fair amount of radio play here, but the rest I’m unfamiliar with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Abney Park - Can't believe it's taken me this long to discover them. Mixes steampunk, industrial, and even a little bit of folk without leaning into the unlistenable. Highly recommended.

Missy Higgins - Starting to develop a real love for Australian singer-songwriters.

Hannah Fury - An ethereal force of creepiness combined with a feeling of bat-shit insanity that makes her hard to ignore. Everything she does sounds like a sexy carnival of nightmares. Plus, she wrote a song about Man-Thing.

The Birthday Massacre - Hey look, a band with a hot lead singer that didn't completely fall to shit after a few years. Loved them ever since I first heard "Looking Glass".

Lillian Axe - Didn't think there were many 80s hair metal bands left for me to discover. What sets them apart is that they could have easily written a lot of the same songs in the modern era.

Children of Bodom - A band that I find myself constantly going back and forth on. Powerful at their best, redundant at their worst.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about musicals in Chat with Preston and Venneh has caused me to relisten to Bat Boy the Musical. Who would have thought one of the best musicals of the last decade would be based off of a character from the fucking World Weekly News? It works as a serious musical, a comedy, and a parody and reversal of traditional and Disney musicals. Doesn't hurt that the music is pretty good.