The Doctor Who thread

So, my thoughts.

...I thought the Doctor might actually have been pregnant there for a moment. Urm. But, yeah, I love Matt Smith's Doc so far (I AM A MADMAN WITH A BOX).

Also, Amelia Pond is now my favorite companion in the history of the two other companions of I've seen (having only seen Donna in the Christmas special and the first few eps of Martha, who is awesome and I love). And, all I have to say on the subject: WHY COULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN A FRENCH MAID?! Also, cricket bat.

The flashback to all the Docs was entirely awesome, and I will agree with Stav that it was basically Martha's first ep, but a lot more fun. And dear God, the Tardis is hot. And the Doctor. And Amelia.

In short? I APPROVE.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- Doctor eating like he's pregnant.

- I've wish I could run into a cop that look like that.

- Why couldn't it be the French Maid!? (yeah, Hannah and I watched at the same time)

- Evil children are creepy.

- WHO DA MAN?!

- Her eyeballing him changing scares me. If she turns into the next Rose, I'm done.

- Preview looks crazy.

Overall, I liked it. It's going to take a while before Smith gets the stench of Tennant off of him but that will come in time. I'm really scared that they're going to screw up Amy Pond, but we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Just realized I spoiler tagged something that's already aired. I'm dumb.

Edited by Guest

I won't mind if Amy has a crush on The Doctor, because he's always been a part of her life. Sort of like Madame de Pompadour. She's spent the better part of her life obsessing over him, believing he's real when no one else would. So now that she's an adult and has met him again -- and because she's on the cusp of getting married, and living an ordinary life -- I can buy her wanting to be with the man of her dreams who can take here anywhere.

And that might be why the BBC hasn't said anything about Karen Gillan's tenure post-season five.

EDIT: However, I think one of the preview clips showed Jeff, so she might miss her wedding because of how screwy the TARDIS can be.

Edited by The Master

Even though the Amy Pond thing feels like a retread of old territory, there's this inbuilt mistrust that's unique to this pairing. He's lying to her, she's not being honest with him. He's a bigger part of her life to this point than he was with any other companion. Plus we've really no idea who she's marrying, or who she is at this point. Two years can change a lot.

Looking forward to the next few weeks from the episode guide. Next up is an old-school sci-fi with Britain in space, and after that its Daleks and weeping angels for two after that.

Amy's Choice, the 7th episode, looks fascinating, set five years after Amy travelled with the Doctor. We are definitely getting development with her.

Love that this Doctor is so much more pessimistic about humans. "Here they come, the human race. The end comes, as it was always going to, down a video phone".

And that might be why the BBC hasn't said anything about Karen Gillan's tenure post-season five.

EDIT: However, I think one of the preview clips showed Jeff, so she might miss her wedding because of how screwy the TARDIS can be.

hmmm...i'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but i'll put it under a cut anyway

Both Matt and Karen have been confirmed for series 32 (oh...ok...series 6). I'm trying to find the report, I think it was one of the producers confirmed it.

Edited to add - Oh, it was in Doctor Who Magazine

ok...watched it again. Some thought about the arc for this series

the obvious stuff is all the "Silence will fall" "the Pandorica will open" "Cracks in the skin of the Universe, don't you know where they come from" that we got from the alien.

Did anyone else think there was some sort of foreshadowing in the scene at the end where Amy asks why he chose her, and he says he's lonely...but he's standing in front of some sort of scanner device that he then deliberately switches off, and the music goes a bit eerie. Also there are 2 lines on the scanner, and the lower one (the one that isnt moving) looks a similar shape to the crack in the wall from earlier.

And on another note...is it just my dirty mind or does the time rotor in the new tardis look....well....there's no way of saying this politely or delicately...but like a glass buttplug.

Did anyone else think there was some sort of foreshadowing in the scene at the end where Amy asks why he chose her, and he says he's lonely...but he's standing in front of some sort of scanner device that he then deliberately switches off, and the music goes a bit eerie. Also there are 2 lines on the scanner, and the lower one (the one that isnt moving) looks a similar shape to the crack in the wall from earlier.

And on another note...is it just my dirty mind or does the time rotor in the new tardis look....well....there's no way of saying this politely or delicately...but like a glass buttplug.

Yes to the buttplug thing.

As for the foreshadowing, the scanner is very clearly showing a crack-style pattern similar to the one in the wall. The Doctor is not being honest here, he's got a very good reason to be coming back, possibly even deliberately coming back two years later. I don't even think that the reveal that she's getting married will be a shock to him, I think he's there at that exact time very deliberately. The Tardis is fixed, and he's already screwed her over big once. If he didn't take the time to check and make sure for the second visit then he's just a massive tool in this incarnation.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only person who immediately thought the same thing.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only person who immediately thought the same thing.

How immediately? Were you recognising the brand name or something?

I shouldn't joke, according to Dr Who confidential that thing was made in Bristol. We've got some quality glass-blowers here.

ok..another odd thing i've noticed. The date is never mentioned, but you can assume from the mentions of Twitter, and the laptops, that the bulk of the episode took place in the present day. But in the spideysense scene where the Doctor notices Rory filming the alien, the camera pans down Rory's body, before zooming in on his Hospital ID...which says "issued - 30/11/1990". I can't believe that they'd let something like that go out by mistake, particularly since the camera really zooms in on it. So is there something strange or time displaced about Rory? perhaps the whole village? Will that tie in with things later?

ok..another odd thing i've noticed. The date is never mentioned, but you can assume from the mentions of Twitter, and the laptops, that the bulk of the episode took place in the present day. But in the spideysense scene where the Doctor notices Rory filming the alien, the camera pans down Rory's body, before zooming in on his Hospital ID...which says "issued - 30/11/1990". I can't believe that they'd let something like that go out by mistake, particularly since the camera really zooms in on it. So is there something strange or time displaced about Rory? perhaps the whole village? Will that tie in with things later?

Good catch! There are other clues that might suggest the town is time-displaced:

- Amy works as a Kissogram, but those don't really exist anymore.

- The town isn't a real English village.

- Several times it's mentioned that Amy's name seems like something out of a fairytale.

- As Jakob pointed out, the computer was called MψTH.

- Let's assume the bulk of the story takes place in 2010. That means The Doctor met young Amy in 1998 (RE: 12 years ago). But the London Eye wasn't built until 1999. Furthermore, because he misses another two years of her life, that means the last few minutes might have been 2010 and most of the episode was 2008, so he would have met her in 1996. Either way, the Eye shouldn't have been there. (However, this point can be written off because "The End of Time" concluded on 01 January 2005. So the London we saw as the TARDIS fell to Earth might have been Londa circa 2005. Supporting this is the fact that we hear the engines of the TARDIS as it crashes into Amy's shed. So it might have jumped back in time as the opening credits rolled.)

Something I realized about Matt Smith after thinking about the episode today is that I bought him as The Doctor, and I don't mean him taking over the role. One of my concerns going in was not buying Smith as The Doctor because of his age, especially with Karen Gillan as his companion. But I never thought that while watching the episode, I completely bought him as a 900 year old alien. The more I think about the premiere, the more excited I am to see what Smith does.

Good catch! There are other clues that might suggest the town is time-displaced:

- Amy works as a Kissogram, but those don't really exist anymore.

You clearly weren't at my 23rd birthday party!

Still, it's an interesting hypothesis...